..to want to throw my laptop out of the window...

(10 Posts)
Zaphodsotherhead Tue 27-Sep-16 19:21:43

...when it takes three minutes to open a Mumsnet page, or won't open Facebook, just shows me the top of the page so I can see I've got a message that I can't then read?

Mumsnet doesn't help, with those bloody adverts that start running a film in the background. We've got an absolutely woeful internet speed out here in the sticks, and it's bad enough not being able to watch iPlayer, without Mumsnet joining in the 'let's buffer for half an hour before we let her see anything'....

Grrrrrr.....

Ifailed Tue 27-Sep-16 19:25:33

Make a choice, live in the back of beyond with its benefits, or go somewhere connected to the on-line world. Your choice,

Zaphodsotherhead Tue 27-Sep-16 19:33:32

Nope, no choice I'm afraid, absolutely no money to move.

We're supposed to get fancy-schmancy broadband sometime...no idea when, though.

usual Tue 27-Sep-16 19:35:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

usual Tue 27-Sep-16 19:36:27

Zaphodsotherhead Tue 27-Sep-16 19:43:48

Good point, usual, I did have adblocker on my old laptop but haven't yet installed on this one, I'll get on to it.

It's just annoying. Checking the Radio Times site, I have to look half an hour before I need to, because, by the time the site has loaded, the programme has finished...

Ifailed Tue 27-Sep-16 19:50:57

By the way, didn't mean to sound nasty.

Truth is MN makes money out of ads etc, if you are on a slow connection it can be soo annoying, but that's how they operate. I suspect the business model puts the majority over the minority when it comes to connectivity.

mineofuselessinformation Tue 27-Sep-16 19:58:33

Have you done the 'delete cookies etc' stuff? It might help.
Also defragment if you haven't done it in a while.
Google making your laptop faster for more help.

usual Tue 27-Sep-16 20:03:46

Zaphodsotherhead Wed 28-Sep-16 11:49:06

Thanks mine, it's not the laptop though, it's the connection! Laptop itself is fine...

It's fine, failed. I do love where I live, but the internet is a HUUUUGE pain in the behind. I know the ads pay for the sites, etc, I just wish they'd take into account those happy few of us still struggling along with clockwork internet!

Thanks for the sympathy, usual!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now