Writing a thank you letter to GP.

(35 Posts)
KurriKurri Tue 27-Sep-16 14:43:16

I'm moving house shortly and will be changing my doctor after nearly 20 years at the same surgery. The GP I'm registered with has been really kind and helpful to me over the years - helping me through cancer treatment, regularly phoning to check I was OK, making time for me even if there weren't appointments available when I was very ill - fitting me in at the end of surgery, and telling the receptionists to make sure I got seen if I needed it.

He's also been very kind helping me through depression during the break up of my marriage. I have really valued and appreciated the fact that he's been so kind.

I would like to write him a thank you card just saying how much I appreciate his kindness. Is this an OK thing to do or would I look a bit weird ? I know it is his job, and he is I'm sure equally kind and caring for everyone but I would have really struggled without his help.

It would just be a card nothing too gushing or OTT.

bobbinpop Tue 27-Sep-16 14:44:27

Sounds like a lovely idea! I'm sure your gp would appreciate it.

rollinghedgehog Tue 27-Sep-16 14:45:20

Probably he will not be allowed to accept gifts but I don't see anything wrong with a simple thank you card. As long as it's nothing OTT.

Lapinlapin Tue 27-Sep-16 14:46:39

I think that's lovely. Lots of people never know how much they are appreciated (they probably get to hear about the complaints though as usually people are far quicker to complain!) and I don't know anyone who wouldn't like a nice letter.

Do it!

Iguessyourestuckwithme Tue 27-Sep-16 14:47:08

I think I heard GPs can use cards in reciews/further taining/appraisals

arethereanyleftatall Tue 27-Sep-16 14:47:54

Lovely thing to do, please do it.

Complainers are always the most vocal, so it's lovely the other way around.

IwillrunIwillfly Tue 27-Sep-16 14:48:42

That sounds like a lovely idea. Hospital consultants sometimes get auditied on the number of thank you cars they get so I imagine GPS have something similar. And its always lovely after a bad day or 2 to be able to look at a card thanking you!

loveyouradvice Tue 27-Sep-16 14:49:10

Go for it... GPs don't get enough thank you letters and you will make his day - midst a challenging workload.

Florabella Tue 27-Sep-16 14:49:38

It's a lovely idea. I went to my dr surgery with a tin of biscuits for all the staff thr day after they had helped my daughter in a situation where she couldn't breathe and they gave her emergency treatment. They really appreciated the gesture

NotMrsTumble Tue 27-Sep-16 14:50:00

Thank you cards, emails and messages are always appreciated where I work. It definitely helps cope in dealing with more demanding members of the public.

Mypurplecaravan Tue 27-Sep-16 14:50:59

It is a lovely thing to do. When people go above and beyond, as it sounds like your gp has, it is always nice to show appreciation and I bet it will mean the world to him. If he has been your gp for 20 years he may be nearing retirement and a card like that may really buoy him up.

Topanga1 Tue 27-Sep-16 14:51:18

Do it - OP.

happyfeet1 Tue 27-Sep-16 14:52:31

I had to leave mine a couple of years ago, he was lovely, I regret not sending a thank you note sad Do it!

fittedcupboard Tue 27-Sep-16 14:54:07

Please do. I'm a GP, we love getting cards like that goes some way to counter the vexatious complaints

Andthenshesmiles Tue 27-Sep-16 14:55:33

It's a lovely idea.
Trust me he will really appreciate it for his appraisal.

RawPrawn Tue 27-Sep-16 14:55:34

Hospital consultants sometimes get auditied on the number of thank you cars they get

They really don't. Neither cars, nor cards!

seminakedinsomebodyelsesroom Tue 27-Sep-16 14:56:04

Absolutely go for it, sounds like a lovely thing to do. I bet GPs miss long standing patients (well the nice ones anyway - and you sound lovely!)

Pineapplemilkshake Tue 27-Sep-16 14:56:38

It's a great idea - I'm a GP and positive feedback is always welcome. I often receive thank you letters and cards from patients, and while I certainly don't expect anything, it means a lot to me to hear that I have genuinely made a difference in someone's life.

Queenbean Tue 27-Sep-16 14:57:08

Really lovely

I did this to the local A&E a few years ago, plus I sent a copy of the email to the highest NHS service address I could

ReallyTired Tue 27-Sep-16 14:57:35

Go for it. GPs are human and they like to be appreciated.

Littleballerina Tue 27-Sep-16 14:57:46

That's lovely. I'm a nurse, nice words mean the world.

KurriKurri Tue 27-Sep-16 15:11:58

Oh I'm really pleased you are all saying go for it smile I wasn't sure about the etiquette but good to see those of you who are GPs and nurses saying it is fine.

I know he likes sailing so will look for a boat themed card smile

Evergreen17 Tue 27-Sep-16 15:21:31

I wrote a nice card for my GP when i moved away due to his help with my MH.
Then I moved back and started using the same surgery and felt a bit embarrassed but hey ho! smile

MrsJoeyMaynard Tue 27-Sep-16 16:20:22

It's a lovely idea and I'm sure that your GP would appreciate it.

SandyY2K Tue 27-Sep-16 16:27:00

That's very kind and will be appreciated I'm sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now