To be a bit bloody annoyed with my mums neighbours using her bins

(22 Posts)
LivinLaVidaLoki Tue 27-Sep-16 11:39:14

My mum died in July.

Recently we have been taking trips to my mums to start to get it sorted out and tidy it up/do the garden.

Any time we have come to put anything in the bin, its full.

I know that the neighbours will probably be thinking "she's dead she wont need it", but I am sick of having to take trips to the sodding tip every time we try and do something.

Her green bin seems constantly full and dragging garden waste to the tip in my car is a pain cos it always seems to leak out a bit and so I end up with a tonne of grass clippings in my car (and I know which neighbour has used the green bin as it had great chunks of his bloody rose bush in it).

I know I probably am BU but it just really bloody irks me.

Glastonbury Tue 27-Sep-16 11:41:33

Can't you put them somewhere inaccessible like the back garden?

Kintan Tue 27-Sep-16 11:43:24

Move the bins into a locker area?

HazelBite Tue 27-Sep-16 11:43:40

Can you keep them indoors, perhaps or somewhere inaccessible to the neighbours when they are empty.

Kintan Tue 27-Sep-16 11:43:40

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Tue 27-Sep-16 11:44:03

Could you padlock them?

londonrach Tue 27-Sep-16 11:44:36

Place bins in garden or duck tape lid down with note saying dont use. Why arent they being collected as normal. No way should you be going to tip.

NerrSnerr Tue 27-Sep-16 11:44:44

I agree with the others, I would lock the bins or move them to a kicked area.

SheldonsSpot Tue 27-Sep-16 11:47:25

Just go and tell all the neighbours to stop using the bins.

CheeseCakeSunflowers Tue 27-Sep-16 11:53:39

YANBU when we were clearing my late parents house we needed the bins more than ever. Could you put them away in a shed or garage or even in the house if no-one is living there and only put them out to be collected.

justilou Tue 27-Sep-16 12:03:52

Put them in the kitchen until you need them?

pictish Tue 27-Sep-16 12:09:41

Pop a note through.

Hi Xxx

We are in the business of sorting mum's place out and need the bins to be available for us to use. If you could leave them empty that would be great.

Thanks
Livin

CheesyWeez Tue 27-Sep-16 12:20:17

Sorry about your mum OP xx
Cheeky of the neighbour, if it's like my town we have to pay extra if we want a garden bin. Your mum may have told Mr Rosebushes to use the bin if he wanted, but things are different now. To hide the bins you would have to get there on the day they've just been emptied, do you know when that is? Can you get Mr Rosebushes or another neighbour to take the bins round the back / into the garage after emptying?

CheesyWeez Tue 27-Sep-16 12:24:22

Your council might come to the door for big items if you book them. We did that, although you have to pay for it. Nobody wanted to buy or take the old furniture so I booked the council to come. When I put it out on the street for collection, people took it then! And so every time something went I put something else out instead, as I'd paid for 3 items.

Hockeydude Tue 27-Sep-16 12:26:48

Put the whole bin in your car, take it to your house.
What a turd that neighbour is.
Sorry for the loss of your mum.

Fizzer123 Tue 27-Sep-16 12:34:20

Sorry about your mum. I wouldn't mind them using the bins, but I think they should be responsible for putting them out to be emptied and bringing them back if they do. Maybe put a note on the bin to say this?

deepdarkwood Tue 27-Sep-16 12:36:41

Of course you are not being unreasonable! Assuming her neighbours were OK during her lifetime, and it is genuine 'not thinkingness' I'd pop something through their letterboxes asking if they can refrain from putting stuff in her bin whilst you are clearing out as it is creating lots of work for you. If you want to be nice, you could say that you are very happy for them to put stuff in once the clear-out is completed and before the house is sold - and that you'll contact them to let them know when that is.

Otherwise, agree with others, I'd bring the bins into the back garden or something whilst you are doing the clear out.

I hope the clear-out process is going OK - it can be a tough time.

Lweji Tue 27-Sep-16 12:41:01

I'd be dumping anything not mine onto their garden/front.
If I like them, then give a warning.

MammouthTask Tue 27-Sep-16 12:41:41

The issue with putting the bins away is that you still need to pout them outside for collection and unless you are back at your mum's that evening the same thing will happen again.

Same with a padlock etc...

I am surprised they have so much waste tbh.

Lweji Tue 27-Sep-16 12:42:53

Ups, I've just realised that you might not know which neighbour is using her bins.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 27-Sep-16 12:43:29

Do you know which neighbours are using it?

EverReadyEddy Tue 27-Sep-16 12:53:28

You're definitely not BU OP. What cheeky fuckers!!

I'd be going fucking ballistic at any possible offender.

Definitely keep them inside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now