Support group on FB

(5 Posts)
LovelyBath77 Tue 27-Sep-16 09:32:40

I tried and seem to have failed at having a support group for a health condition on Facebook. It just keeps going into ranting, competitive pain / suffering etc. Having a go at me as if it's my fault they are ill. Kind of wishing I hadn't bothered now. Think I might be unreasonable though, what do you think? Do they help or make things worse?

PJBanana Tue 27-Sep-16 09:34:48

I think, like with anything on the Internet (MN included), there will always be people who hide behind a keyboard and feel a lot braver than they ever would in real life.

The idea of an online support group sounds lovely, but in practice it may be difficult to keep keyboard warriors at bay.

acasualobserver Tue 27-Sep-16 09:35:39

Does the support consist, essentially, of the opportunity to moan, rant and blame others? Sounds like AIBU.

0pti0na1 Tue 27-Sep-16 10:34:40

Have you set up some "house rules" for the group? Speaking respectfully and not having a go at others, or you'll be removed from the group?

LovelyBath77 Tue 27-Sep-16 12:54:54

Yes I've done that, hopefully it might improve. I just had someone post on something completely different from the group and then rant at me for not being supportive when I asked how it was relevant. Quite rude and personal, said I was negative and unsupportive, and then another joined in...not sure what it is with FB, at times seems like they all kind of egg each other on and get wound up...maybe in pain / ill I suppose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now