Interpret this.

(31 Posts)
TheHouseElf1 Mon 26-Sep-16 18:19:45

So this is an excerpt from a text. I would say read between the lines but I don't think it's necessary.

"I spend large amounts of my life being kind just to be kind. It changed me as a person I think. I think the way you speak and interact (with me, the girls and the wider world) has become a habit and that has become the norm even though you can be kind when you consciously think about it."

So is it just me?

VeryBitchyRestingFace Mon 26-Sep-16 18:21:39

I'm afraid it lost me at the first sentence. <thick> blush

myownprivateidaho Mon 26-Sep-16 18:21:45

Yes, they're saying you've got into the habit of being mean. Not a very kind text, all things considered.

ImperialBlether Mon 26-Sep-16 18:24:00

Yes they're saying they make sure they are kind all the time, whereas you (or whoever it's aimed at) doesn't, though can manage it if they try.

Is there any truth in it?

mickeysminnie Mon 26-Sep-16 18:24:11

Sorry can't find my mind reading glasses! What exactly are you asking?

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Mon 26-Sep-16 18:24:38

Basically someone thinks your a bitch shock

DoreenLethal Mon 26-Sep-16 18:24:41

You are a big meanie.

They are a saint.

How convenient for them.

JenLindleyShitMom Mon 26-Sep-16 18:26:31

Is this a text message text or a book text?

Lovewineandchocs Mon 26-Sep-16 18:26:53

I am betting it's your OH?

Janey50 Mon 26-Sep-16 18:27:16

Basically,saying you are mean,and they are lovely.

Janey50 Mon 26-Sep-16 18:27:59

Any truth in it though?!smile

iklboo Mon 26-Sep-16 18:28:34

I'd be tempted to reply 'what do you want, a fucking biscuit?' but that would probably prove their point.

TheVirginQueen Mon 26-Sep-16 18:28:47

Sounds like they're really trying to phrase it very carefully. They're not trying to fall out, they're trying to make a point?

It doesn't sound like a dramatic text. Have you said some things hurt the sender?

somekindofmother Mon 26-Sep-16 18:30:16

I think they're saying that they have made an effort to always be nice and now it comes naturally to them. but u have got into the habit of being mean, but u can change that if u just try to be nice.

it's quite condescending.

1potato2potato3potato4 Mon 26-Sep-16 18:30:45

Sounds like the writer is saying the readers default position is hostile, not necessarily mean if it's true.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Mon 26-Sep-16 18:31:14

See, I had assumed - probably incorrectly - that OP wrote the text.

Mrsemcgregor Mon 26-Sep-16 18:33:37

I would guess it was written by OPs mother.... not sure what that says about my relationship with DM!!

e1y1 Mon 26-Sep-16 18:35:23

Yep.

It is saying that whomever this text is aimed at is not being a nice person. They're trying to word it carefully, but it's saying:

I am a saint (yay for me grin), but (person text aimed at) has become so used to being less than kind, that it is now normal (and perhaps unawares), however (the person text aimed at) can be kind when they wish to be.

In short, whoever sent that text does not like the attitude of the receipient.

GiddyOnZackHunt Mon 26-Sep-16 18:38:47

OH saying they are kind but the OP has got into the habit of being unkind.

wowfudge Mon 26-Sep-16 18:39:03

Rather sanctimonious if you ask me. Being kind just to be kind - on the face of it they could be saying they lie in order to be kind, but the upshot is still the same; whoever 'you' is, is a cow.

acasualobserver Mon 26-Sep-16 18:39:17

you can be kind when you consciously think about it.

Not the most ringing of endorsements.

AmeliaJack Mon 26-Sep-16 18:39:46

I can't imagine putting that kind of feedback or sentiment in a text.

That's surely a face to face conversation.

Being snappy/sarky/shouty or grumpy can become a habit. I warn my children about it.

It all depends upon the circumstances but I'm not keen in statements which say "I'm wonderful but you have to try harder". They tend not to be very effective.

Arfarfanarf Mon 26-Sep-16 18:40:34

I would interpret that to mean they think you are constantly unkind, speak sharply, do not treat others nicely.

If someone said that to me I'd be asking them to back that statement up with some examples and then have a good think about it.

It's tempting to just say pfft and disregard it but depending on who said it and how they actually are, perhaps it's worth stepping back and examining if there's any truth in it.

Although nice people dont normally go round saying how nice they are, tbh.

TheHouseElf1 Mon 26-Sep-16 18:49:56

If true they should be able to back it up with examples of my unkindness when asked and not try to shut down the conversation.

Arfarfanarf Mon 26-Sep-16 18:51:56

Well if they wont give examples and wont discuss it i would disregard their statement and tell them so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now