Sending kids to school when sick

(34 Posts)
Jizzomelette Mon 26-Sep-16 08:11:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Euphemia Mon 26-Sep-16 08:14:01

His mum would be phoned to come and get him if he turned up at my school having been sick. And to keep him off for 48h.

phillipp Mon 26-Sep-16 08:31:39

Some people send their kids to school because they are afraid of all the absences malarkey.

Some send them because they don't give a shit

Some send them because they feel they have no choice as their employer will punish them for taking time off.

Sometimes kids lie for sympathy. It's possible he wasn't sick at home at all and just saying that so people feel sorry for him having such uncaring parents wink

I remember friends wildly exaggerating stuff that happened with their parents for sympathy.

Maybe the kids is one of those who come with excuse after excuse to not go to school and his parents didn't see the sick and didn't believe him.

It's not ideal and I can see why you are annoyed. But the truth is you have no idea what's happening behind the scenes.

As pp said, if our school were told he was sick the parent would have to come and pick them up.

I never send mine is if they are being sick, it's pointless because I would only end up having to pick them up again.

roseteapot101 Mon 26-Sep-16 08:35:10

its tricky sometimes as my daughter does not know the difference between really being ill and having a moan.She says her tummy hurts what she actually means is i am hungry its usually something else before actually being ill.

So generally unless she has thrown up at home i cant just keep her home on a guess.But if the boy had generally thrown up and the mother encored this then she is in the wrong.But on the flip side whats her work like.Could she simply call in sick or would they have a problem

If you have no other family how are you to spend a day off work if work not complying.My mother had to send me in ill to school because she could not leave me home alone.She had to work or we could not pay the bills.

We do not know the full picture but in all there is a sick little boy that would have done better at home so sad

Jizzomelette Mon 26-Sep-16 08:38:38

Voteforpedr0 Mon 26-Sep-16 08:39:59

Of course it's wrong on the mums behalf if he was sick before he left, selfish and cruel actually. Mine go on with coughs and mild colds but never a temp or sickness/upset tummy, I do however realise I'm lucky with being a full time mum that it's just second nature to keep them home when unwell.

PinkSnowAndStars Mon 26-Sep-16 08:42:59

So 5 then? In the village I went to school (rural) they provide a school bus that drops off at the local primary and secondary. Which is still the case now...!

Not sure I understand your reasoning there Jizzomelette

Jizzomelette Mon 26-Sep-16 08:47:04

ayeokthen Mon 26-Sep-16 08:50:07

Our local council rules state they must be absent for 48 hours following D&V. My background is infection control so I'd do that anyway, it enrages me when people send their kids to school/nursery when they're a) clearly not up to it and could do with a day in bed and b) obviously contagious therefore putting other kids at risk. A mum walked into nursery the other day with her son who had weeping chickenpox sores, I couldn't believe it! Especially since there are several pregnant Mums and members of staff. She was told to take him home!

miserablesod Mon 26-Sep-16 09:34:48

Some mums are just selfish and wouldn't rather please their employer than look after their ill child.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 26-Sep-16 09:37:37

Op taking a bus to school and staying home alone I'll all day are two very different things.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 26-Sep-16 09:37:51

ill.

Ihopeyouhadthetimeofyourlife Mon 26-Sep-16 09:38:07

Wtf miserablesod? If you don't please your employer then you end up without a job, which makes it much more difficult to look after your child!

pinkieandperkie Mon 26-Sep-16 09:39:44

I wouldn't send kids to school sick, especially if they had already thrown up at home. The school only send them home which is usually more stressful to the parent as they are already at work by this time and then have to pick up the child.

TaterTots Mon 26-Sep-16 09:40:41

I don't think anyone 'decided' he was 5 - that's just the youngest you could get a school bus on your own. The poster had obviously misread and thought this was a school bus.

You didn't mention he was a teenager. There is a difference between sending a child on a bus to and from school alone and leaving them alone all day.

All of that aside, yes - the parents were wrong to send the boy to school.

Mari50 Mon 26-Sep-16 09:46:40

Wouldn't send my DD to school with D or V, but I will send her with any illness that I would be be ok to go to work with myself. It's an important lesson that life has to continue and you have commitments to fulfil even when you feel a bit ropey- imo.

SaucyJack Mon 26-Sep-16 09:53:20

Our secondary school specifically states they do not have the 48-hour rule. They'd rather have as close to 100% attendance as possible.

You didn't see the kid at home this morning. Maybe he looked fine after a tactical chunder, and his parent thought that was it over with for the day.

Or maybe they're cunts.

Scaredycat3000 Mon 26-Sep-16 10:07:49

I don't give a fuck about parents losing their jobs because they decide to deliberately spread infectious illness around a group of children. They put my families health and so job stability at risk.They know nothing about my home life and assuming I can cope better than them is beyond selfish. I have no family, or friends (without DC) and OH works 12 hour shifts. The last time, (parent is an active member of St. Johns Ambulance!) the dc had recovered just in time for the weekend when it hit me hard. Trying to look after 2 young dc whilst crawling round on all fours and trying not to pass out was completely avoidable.

Scaredycat3000 Mon 26-Sep-16 10:09:05

Sorry, no family or friends local enough to help.

ayeokthen Mon 26-Sep-16 10:11:27

Scaredycat3000 exactly! I got hit with a particularly brutal bout of gastroenteritis while 8 months pregnant with DD because some dick had sent her kid into DS school with it. Both of us were utterly floored for 5 whole days, DP had to take time off work (unpaid!) to look after DSDs because I didn't want them to get it too and was in no fit state to look after them if they did. When I saw said parent at school next time she just said "oh but I didn't want to take time off!" Aye, we didn't want to miss a week's wage either you selfish arse, but we didn't have a choice. I told her it was a good thing nobody was fucking hungry in our house that week otherwise it could have been really tough angry

RhodaBorrocks Mon 26-Sep-16 10:29:04

OP YANBU. I've had a transplant and am immunosuppressed. I expected DS to bring home bugs from school, but not as many as he did. Poor child had confirmed rotavirus twice in a year!

I only get 2 paid days a year for sick kids/family. After that it's unpaid. But as I'm also infection control trained I stick to the rules. It really hacks me off when others ignore them. I've had to be on a 'sickness managemrnt' plan because I kept getting ill whilst immunosuppressed. So I'm punished at work for other people being selfish knobs.

Then the school introduced an attendance policy that was frankly ridiculous. DS breached it simply by having one bug and having to be off for 48 hours.

I was on steroids for yet another rejection caused by my being unwell with a school bug yet again, so I was in a fighting mood as they make me more assertive, and I wiped the floor with the headteacher over how contradictory the sickness and attendance policies were. I also extracted a refund out of him for a school trip DS had to miss because someone else sent their kids in sick. Said sick child was better by the time of the trip but DS was now ill. So I told the head I wasn't subsidising school trips for parents who didn't respect the health of other parents and children and I wanted my £15 back. Still amazed at the balls I had on me to do that, but the head is ever so friendly since I refused to put up with any shit, lol!

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 26-Sep-16 10:36:17

Not being able to take time off work is not an acceptable excuse for sending in a chucking up kid. You then end up with 10 parents not being able to take time off, they spread it further and before you know it the whole school is struggling with a sickness bug.

Schools that have contradictory sickness and attendance policies are ridiculous.

MerylPeril Mon 26-Sep-16 10:41:53

My friend sends her throwing up children, she thinks it's fine as long as they don't puke in school (I pray they do).
It's because she can't be arsed. I don't think her kids have ever been off ill and she's proud of it. One last term looked dreadful every day she went in for a week.

She does complain if there are other sick children in school in case she gets it.

My DH calls her a long list of interesting names confused

I try to be tough with mine as she does try it on. Anything out of either end is a guaranteed off though.

phillipp Mon 26-Sep-16 11:01:19

Well since he is old enough to travel on the bus on his own her taking time off wouldn't really be necessary.
2 totally different things though.

As I said I wouldn't send mine in. But neither am I going to assume is as straight forward as the mother is just a selfish twat.

Scaredycat3000 Mon 26-Sep-16 11:11:26

phillipp Given Rhondda's circumstances please can you explain any situation where a Mother and Father could be considered anything but selfish twats?
This is part of having kids, it's shit at times and incredibly hard, lets not make it harder for each other because we believe we are more important. What kind of example does that teach dc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now