Music systems in gardens, are my neighbours right about this?

(26 Posts)
iProcrastinate Sun 25-Sep-16 21:51:06

They aren't technically my neighbours but our (small) back gardens back on to each other.

My neighbours have installed a sound system in a wooden gazebo which is against the shared fence, roughly 10 feet from our house. I'm not sure what sort of stereo it is, it has big speakers, like a mobile dj would have. The gazebo is closed on 2 sides and has an electric supply/lights.

Last Sunday they started playing loud dance music out there just after 9pm, so loud that even with all doors/windows/internal doors shut, it made water ripple on the opposite side of my house. This woke up my 7yr old and kept her up, so with it being a school night I went to ask if they would mind turning it down.

They basically told me that I couldn't have a problem with the volume as it was before 11pm, and they could have it as loud as they like until 11. They went on to say that if they wanted they could play loud music until 11pm every night as that was the law. Fortunately just after 11 they turned it down - it was still very audible but DD managed to get back to sleep, I'm not sure when they turned it off as I fell asleep with headphones in. This was repeated another two times during the week.

Is it right that it's perfectly legal to play music outdoors until 11pm, even at such high volume? I'm ready to be told I'm a moaning killjoy. DD is shattered, her room is already on the opposite side of the house so I can't move her any further away.

StopShoutingAtYourBrother Sun 25-Sep-16 21:54:34

I'd advise calling the local council to discuss noise pollution.

SaggyNaggy Sun 25-Sep-16 21:59:49

The council will investigate if the noise is bothering you, it doesn't matter how loud it is or how late it is.
My old council investigated a dog barking next door for hours and that was middle of the day.

george1020 Sun 25-Sep-16 22:03:23

You need to log when and duration and record the noise I think, then phone the council.
I don't see how it's fair that you have to put up with their music against your fence until 11 at night.

NeedsAsockamnesty Sun 25-Sep-16 22:05:58

People always think any noise is ok before 11pm but before then you are not entitled to cause a nusience, obviously what causes a nusience is subjective

Notcontent Sun 25-Sep-16 22:07:39

The 11 pm is a bit of a red herring. It is sometimes used to determine at what point any noise is unreasonable - e.g. In some leases for leasehold properties it might say that you are not allowed to emit any noise between 11pm and 7 pm. But it's become one of those urban myths that you can make as much noise as you want until 11 pm - that's clearly nonsense. I think that if you live close to other people then it's never reasonable to play music in your garden.

Notcontent Sun 25-Sep-16 22:08:28

Crossed posts with Needs!!

Bailey101 Sun 25-Sep-16 22:10:04

My old neighbour got evicted for his music - he played at all hours, but the final straw for the landlord was when the police attended at 2 in the afternoon.

BurnTheBlackSuit Sun 25-Sep-16 22:11:12

I don't know what the law is, but that sounds awful. Poor you and your poor daughter.

Garthmarenghi Sun 25-Sep-16 22:15:04

Horrible neighbours.

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Sun 25-Sep-16 22:17:30

Nope. A statutory nuisance doesn't have a time of day attached to it.

justilou Sun 25-Sep-16 22:18:34

Have you got sprinklers??? Could easily sort the problem out yourself with a spot of watering.

Blu Sun 25-Sep-16 22:23:35

Totally unreasonable and they are wrong about the 11pm thing.

As others have said, contact the council noise pollution / nuisance team .

Keep a diary of dates and times, and record / film on your phone. Log ALL times you can hear the music - after they have turned it down from full volume.

I would complain to your local councillor, too.

I would be very surprised if your other neighbours next to them and backing on to them are happy with this! Get them to complain too - give them the contacts that you have.

dalmatianmad Sun 25-Sep-16 22:29:35

As other folk have advised, ring the council. Just had similar with mu neighbours and the council installed a little recording device, neighbours have now been issued with an official warning from the housing association angry

acasualobserver Sun 25-Sep-16 22:38:33

Order a load of farmyard manure and have it piled against the fence at the bottom of your garden. Alternatively, build your own bigger, better gazebo and instal even more powerful speakers.

SaggyNaggy Sun 25-Sep-16 22:39:35

I like the manure plan, or a bonfire, burning little pieces of rubber.
don't burn rubber

iProcrastinate Sun 25-Sep-16 22:57:57

Thanks everyone, I'm going to start keeping a noise log - it's made me feel a lot better knowing that maybe they aren't allowed to, and something could be done!

PoshPenny Sun 25-Sep-16 23:01:26

Informally, get a sprinkler going on the plant containers you've put against that fence and screw up their electrics and the speakers. Your local council are the correct official channel to go through. I'm sure you're not the only neighbour that's suffering either.

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Mon 26-Sep-16 17:59:56

You have to go through the council if you are going to keep a log as the neighbours have to be warned they are being monitored - any log kept before then wouldn't be admissible as evidence.

wasonthelist Mon 26-Sep-16 18:06:30

Feel sorry for you OP - how have we bred this nation of dickheads?

gillybeanz Mon 26-Sep-16 18:15:00

You need to inform environmental health, they will come round to your house and test the decibels with windows/ door open and then closed.

We had the same problem with a social club nearby, they keep doors open in summer as hot, for H&S the whole area can hear it.
unfortunately, they had an entertainment license, I'm presuming the person in your complaint doesn't.

Toadinthehole Mon 26-Sep-16 20:30:31

* MalcolmTuckersEyebrows*

Huh?

Are you sure?

blueturtle6 Mon 26-Sep-16 20:35:47

We had a similar problem, however they didn't turn the music down until 6am next day. After over 50 complaints in one night (there's a out of hours council number here) they were evicted.
I like the sprinklers idea

user1474816749 Mon 26-Sep-16 21:10:31

This is an awful thing. You can't even have sanctuary in your own castle. It eats away at you. Inconsiderate parking, bonfires, arguing / shouting through the wall.
Avoid the tit for tat approach. Don't give them anything they could use against you.
And don't forget neighbour disputes can make it harder to move. Wasonthelist, we have allowed these selfish dick-heads to get away it too long. It is so frustrating. More police, just to have a "little word" and officials on public transport to keep their eye on dicks and feet off everything but the floor, good grief!

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Mon 26-Sep-16 21:28:50

Yes. I am in the process of making a noise complaint against my neighbours and also used to work for Env Health taking these calls. They need to gather evidence but they also need to tell those having evidence gathered against them, a bit like cautioning someone who had been arrested that anything they say may be used in evidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now