aibu in wanting to work

(17 Posts)
letmepeeinpeace Sat 24-Sep-16 20:20:08

I'm currently a single, unemployed mum to three kids, 9,6 and 17 months. I have a chance of a job but its funny shifts as it's in a residential home. Hours are 8am-8pm or 8pm-8am or 8am-2pm or 2pm-8pm.
Because of my struggles of being a mum people keep telling me its impossible. So, is it impossible and am I being unreasonable in believing that I can at least try?

kimlo Sat 24-Sep-16 20:21:41

its not impossible if you have good childcare in place.

Good luck.

FlappyRose Sat 24-Sep-16 20:23:11

Of course you're not being unreasonable in wanting to work, but are those hours practical for you? Do you have childcare?

letmepeeinpeace Sat 24-Sep-16 20:23:14

My older ones school now has a care club but its the toddler I'm concerned about as he's very clingy!

kimlo Sat 24-Sep-16 20:29:31

would wrap around care cover thos hours though? The one at dd2s school is open 8-6.

I think if I was you I would look at childminders. Then the little one can bond with one person in a home like enviroment and they can all be together. When I used a childminder she did overnights too.

Lilacpink40 Sat 24-Sep-16 20:30:56

I admire your spirit and hope it works out.

Can you share childcare with friends?

Marmalade85 Sat 24-Sep-16 20:34:18

I'm single mother to a 9 month old and I leave at 7am and I'm not back until after 7pm at night including dropping off and picking up from childminder (no car) and by the weekend I am absolutely exhausted. YANBU in wanting to work but those hours sound brutal.

RubbleBubble00 Sat 24-Sep-16 20:37:22

Can't see why not if u have childcare for evening and night shifts. Presume u would do 3/4 shifts a wk?

letmepeeinpeace Sat 24-Sep-16 20:38:51

I have friends that are willing to help. The club closes at 6 so will need help for those extra hours. Childminder idea sounds better for the youngest as he is used to one person caring for him. It's my friend who will be putting in a good word for me (she already works there and knows the boss well!) I know they are very understaffed and are desperate so I'm kinda hoping she gives me easy hours but maybe I'm hoping too much!!

PatriciaHolm Sat 24-Sep-16 20:44:02

If they are desperate and understaffed, I would imagine they need as many hours out of you as they can get so i would be wary.

Have you calculated what you would make after childcare, taking into account tax credits etc? Have you factored in finding overnight childcare? If you've done an overnight shift, how are you going to cope with having the children the next day - you will need to sleep.

Wanting to work is very laudable, but this job does sound as if it could end up being a logistical nightmare.

maddiemookins16mum Sat 24-Sep-16 21:07:07

I'd find that hard, especially on a rolling rota maybe especially with a toddler. It doesn't sound the best fit for you, to be honest.

Dontyoulovecalpol Sat 24-Sep-16 21:08:51

Wouldn't a care worker generally be paid less than a childminder? Is it even possible?

PlymouthMaid1 Sat 24-Sep-16 21:26:11

It doesn't sound like a very suitable job for you if I am honest. I think you will find childcare both difficult and expensive. The little one seems far too young to be childcare for such long hours. Maybe give it a try but keep an eye out for something more family friendly.

Nefney14 Sat 24-Sep-16 21:34:20

I would say think very carefully I have 2 DC and work in a care home I have a partner and we still struggle with childcare and having to go home and parent/clean etc after a 12 hour shift is brutal. It's good to want to work and some care homes will let you negotiate hours so worth a try if not an agency would allow you to work within school time but it does limit the amount of work available to you

letmepeeinpeace Sat 24-Sep-16 23:33:37

Thanks for the opinions everyone. Definitely given me food for thought. Maybe I am best staying at home til youngest is school age. I'm just getting a bit lonely and was hoping a job may help me find friends

MyWineTime Sat 24-Sep-16 23:39:59

I admire your willingness but I don't see how you could make this work.
How would you manage the night shift? 8pm to 8am
Would it be possible to just do the 8am-2pm shift?

letmepeeinpeace Sun 25-Sep-16 07:37:50

I'm hoping she will let me do that but of what I'm aware most residential homes are shift pattern's

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now