To wish that the manufacturers of gripe water

(25 Posts)
PissPotPourri Sat 24-Sep-16 18:53:41

Would incorporate some kind of mess free dispenser along the lines of calpol etc?
I've had three DC now and still get intensely irritated by trying to open the bottle, pour the stuff into a spoon and feed it to a crying baby all one handed...with sticky dribbles pooling around the baby's chin and the bottle.
I've tried using a calpol syringe but that works only for the top part of the bottle and I have to decant after that point... Needless hassle.
Ds3 is mildly refluxy and I swear if it wasn't the only thing that seemed to work without going to the doctor etc etc I would not be buying the stuff!

2014newme Sat 24-Sep-16 18:58:43

More importantly, it is totally ineffective. You need ranitidine for reflux

ineedwine99 Sat 24-Sep-16 19:01:02

My mum bought me a syringe with a bottle adaptor from the pharmacy, its been great

Tanito279 Sat 24-Sep-16 19:02:21

I used to decant mine into a suitable bottle straight away so that a syringe could be used. Can't stand those stupid glass bottles.
Gripe water is amazing, never used anything else.

Flisspaps Sat 24-Sep-16 19:05:08

But there's no actual effective ingredient in it - it's water and fennel/dill oil.

"A 2000 review in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicinee^ found that most of the ingredients in Woodward's gripe water are of little value in relieving infantile discomfort and that any benefit may be no more complicated than the baby receiving some liquid"

PissPotPourri Sat 24-Sep-16 19:18:40

I might do that Tanito.
I understand the cynicism but ds3 has been suffering with reflux for the last 4 weeks; not badly but enough to mean he is constantly wet around the neck, smelling of sick and he was just getting bothered by it.
I don't want to resort to the doctors as he is bf and I do not want to start expressing etc to add the medication.
I've tried various other things too as he's quite difficult to wind, but in a last ditch attempt bought a bottle last week, having sworn to never buy it again for the aforementioned reasons. He has hardly bought anything up since.
Maybe it is coincidence, but either way, I have the remainder of a bottle to use. It seems a ridiculous design which just cannot help their sales!

Pistachiois50pmore Sat 24-Sep-16 19:24:00

You need these: www.amazon.co.uk/Oral-Medicine-Syringe-5ml-pack/dp/B00BL0SJZ6

They come with a little stopper which enables you to use the bottle exactly like Calpol. Similarly sceptical about the actual benefit of gripe water but my partner is convinced it works and my little boy seems to enjoy it so it's become part of the bedtime ritual anyway.

I think of it as an aperitif for him!

annatha Sat 24-Sep-16 19:32:33

I dropped an open bottle of gripe water down me and DD in the wee hours once shudders. Just so you know incase it stops working for you, ranitidine is good for bf babies as you don't have to mix it with milk, it's just a syringe. The doctors may try and fob you off with gaviscon first because it's cheaper but its a pain to give a bf baby.

wonderingagain21 Sat 24-Sep-16 21:20:25

I EBF my daughter until 8-9 months & from 3 months was able to give her ranitidine (using an oral syringe) just before she latched on. It made a big difference to her.

bringmeataco Sat 24-Sep-16 22:01:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bringmeataco Sat 24-Sep-16 22:02:37

WorraLiberty Sat 24-Sep-16 22:07:04

I didn't think anyone used gripe water anymore, since they took the alcohol out of it?

Buggeritimgettingup Sat 24-Sep-16 22:12:28

You can syringe medicine whilst you breastfeed but you get sticky nipple!

AndNowItsSeven Sat 24-Sep-16 22:20:03

....... Would re introduce alchol as the active ingredient.

PissPotPourri Sat 24-Sep-16 22:20:52

It had alcohol in it? shock

TheBriscoesLady Sat 24-Sep-16 22:27:26

Ineedmorepatience Sat 24-Sep-16 22:30:10

grin @ worra, that thought crossed my mind too.

roseteapot101 Sat 24-Sep-16 22:32:17

huh i found gripe water was the only thing that worked for mine .I expressed a small amount of breast milk put in a breast bottle and added the gripe water to that.She happily took it.

WorraLiberty Sat 24-Sep-16 22:34:24

Yes, that's why it was so popular.

My eldest is 24 now but when he was born, a midwife told me it wasn't worth buying since they removed the alcohol.

She also said she'd visited one mother who was passed out on the couch, having drank a couple of bottles, so god knows how strong it was.

Amalfimamma Sat 24-Sep-16 22:38:11

Best way to give gripe water/Medicine/liquid vitamins?

Pour it directly into a bottle teet

no need to faff about with spoons, spills and spits.

Youarenotprepared Sat 24-Sep-16 22:47:00

We used dentinox. You can give it after feeds from a syringe so we just used it on an as needed basis. It was like a miracle for reflux/ slight dairy intolerant DD.

Memoires Sat 24-Sep-16 22:59:26

My dad was known to drink gin and gripe water occasionally, when there were no other mixers to hand.

AnthonyPandy Sat 24-Sep-16 23:21:13

Aah fond memories of glugging gripe water as a child...

BlackeyedSusan Sat 24-Sep-16 23:55:49

gripe water used to be fabulous in th seventies.

BoredOnMatLeave Sun 25-Sep-16 08:02:31

I thought that when I first brought it but it turns out DD won't have anything in her mouth but a bottle teat anyway, so I just mix it with the milk.

Giving calpol is really fun in our house sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now