Not announcing my pregnancy on FB.

(20 Posts)
lalaland1985 Sat 24-Sep-16 14:09:34

My dh and I have made a conscious decision to not announce my pregnancy on FB.

Am I in the minority to think that sharing my scan picture is a bit tacky? I just plan on telling family and friends as I see them. Might do a group message.

AIBU to do it this way?

Sparklesilverglitter Sat 24-Sep-16 14:11:51

You are not being unreasoanable to do it whatever way want.

I don't personally think there is anything tacky about an excited Mum to be posting here scan picture. It's not your choice but that doesn't make it tacky

Scarydinosaurs Sat 24-Sep-16 14:12:09

Not at all. I didn't announce my first pregnancy, but have done subsequent ones- in a 'this is exciting for me' way, announcement makes it sounds somewhat more important than what it is!

Eatthecake Sat 24-Sep-16 14:13:25

Announce it how ever you want.

Just because you don't want to use Facebook, some people do and uploading a scan photo of there child is not tacky!

Figgygal Sat 24-Sep-16 14:14:28

I hadn't mentioned it with either of mine made to last day of work before being outed by a work colleague posting pics from my leavers lunch. I didn't mind though.

gunting Sat 24-Sep-16 14:14:52

We didn't either and my son (now 10 months) has featured on my Facebook page twice I think. We put a little message up once he was born.

We are quite private and just told the people we wanted to know in person. I didn't particularly want people I went to school with or colleagues seeing my uterus blasted onto Facebook.

So no yanbu.

DollyBarton Sat 24-Sep-16 14:15:32

What exactly is tacky about it? No problem if you don't want to but sneering at others for something like that doesn't reflect well on you.

lalaland1985 Sat 24-Sep-16 14:17:11

I wouldn't mind that figgy. Even being tagged in a picture where I'm obviously pregnant is fine too. It's not to keep it a secret just not attracting attention. I will definitely post a picture of my baby after birth!

CoffeeAtLukes Sat 24-Sep-16 14:17:27

I've never mentioned my two on there. I just didn't feel the need to. I hate being the focus of attention so so that might be why it doesn't appeal. I also haven't announced my engagement.

I tell my parents and close friends. Everyone else can work it out when a bump/a baby appears.

BingBongBingBong Sat 24-Sep-16 14:18:13

It's not tacky to post a scan picture. Fine if you don't want to but that's quite horrible to say that it's tacky.

lalaland1985 Sat 24-Sep-16 14:18:14

Maybe tacky is the wrong word. Self-indulgent? Personal preference I guess. Didn't mean to cause offence

MidniteScribbler Sat 24-Sep-16 14:18:42

I didn't post anything about my pregnancy, but I did put up a picture of my DS the day he was born, and a few people actually asked if I had adopted as they didn't know I was pregnant. I then realised just how few people actually knew I was pregnant!

Soubriquet Sat 24-Sep-16 14:20:31

Do want you want

You don't want to announce it on FB don't

It certainly isn't tacky. Or self indulgent. It's a convenient way of doing it if you don't see everyone

Blondieblondie Sat 24-Sep-16 14:22:00

I don't see the need to ask why it's unreasonable not to. Is your pregnancy and your FB. Why would anyone think you're unreasonable not to? Agree it's unreasonable to say others are tacky for how they choose to share the news.

Ragwort Sat 24-Sep-16 14:25:12

I'm not sure why anyone would want to show a scan photo to anyone else apart from the other parent and perhaps very close relatives. I have certainly no interest in looking at anyone else's scan pictures and only showed one friend the photo when I was pregnant, as a bit of a joke really as it was very much a 'surpirse' pregancy and I knew she would be shocked.

I do think it is a bit tacky and self indulgent - however I don't even use Facebook as I think the whole concept is self indulgent grin.

DartmoorDoughnut Sat 24-Sep-16 14:27:22

We announced both of ours on FB and I post probably about 1 or 2 photos a month. We have friends all over the world and its how we stay in contact <shrugs>

WorraLiberty Sat 24-Sep-16 14:33:18

It's not to keep it a secret just not attracting attention. I will definitely post a picture of my baby after birth!

Why?

How is posting a picture of your baby after birth, any less attention attracting or 'self-indulgent'?

I actually never put pics of my babies/kids on FB, until they were old enough to have their own accounts (which was my choice entirely).

But I'm interested to know your 'logic' here?

aquawoman Sat 24-Sep-16 14:37:07

Do what you want.

Let other people do what they want.

CoffeeAtLukes Sat 24-Sep-16 14:54:06

I don't really post pictures of my kids either and didn't do a birth announcement. I'm not sure I'd call it self indulgent though, it's just different personalities dealing with things in a different ways surely.

I just felt like it's not really of interest to other people. Obviously it's exciting for my family but not so much for someone I worked with 4 years ago.

Hygellig Sat 24-Sep-16 17:14:31

Entirely up to you. I didn't announce mine on FB. Just told people in person or by email/phone and then put some baby pictures on when they arrived. But others have announced theirs on FB in some creative ways and it can be a good way of spreading the good news quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now