passport and name related

(16 Posts)
mailfuckoff Sat 24-Sep-16 07:49:49

I was married 8 years ago. At the time my passport was new so I said I would change my name on it when I got a new one. Fast forward 8 years and I like having my maiden name on my passport. Most things I have are in my married name, Inc my driving license so it's nice to have something that is me and not just 28th name wish doesn't feel like me. Dh thinks I should get it changed to make things easier and so I have same name as dc when travelling. Mumsnet jury - change is keep the same?

HereIAm20 Sat 24-Sep-16 07:53:16

If you go by the name of Mrs X rather than Miss Y I would just change it to the name I go by! There may be countries that if you travelled alone with your children that would require a permission letter from their Dad if you have different surnames to your kids.

If you want nostalgia look at your birth certificate.

AyeAmarok Sat 24-Sep-16 07:53:51

If you've already changed it on everything else and you go by your husband's name day-to-day then I'd change it, as it could cause problems.

But I wouldn't have changed it in the first place!

MrsMook Sat 24-Sep-16 08:04:40

I was reluctant to pay out to replace a nearly new passport too. I have updated it now as DS1s needed renewing so it made sense to send them off together. I just need to remember to book in my married name now.

I never had any practical issues with it for things like CRBs. The marriage certificate was explanation enough.

imnervous Sat 24-Sep-16 08:14:23

I've left my passport as my maiden name, it actually works better as my eldest has my maiden name so it saves any questions at the airport!

Pythonesque Sat 24-Sep-16 08:14:29

If you are still using your maiden name eg for work I personally feel that's a reason not to change your passport. Yes you need to be aware of issues around children's names but it's not a huge problem, and only while they're tiny. I believe that you can arrange to have "also known as Mrs X" put in your passport (or vice versa if you do change it).

I've ended up with driving licence in married name, passports (dual) in maiden name; nice to have photo ID in both.

mailfuckoff Sat 24-Sep-16 08:15:29

Some drop feeding, because I know you love that. I still have money products and pensions in my name. Will having no photo id of me ever be an issue?

mailfuckoff Sat 24-Sep-16 08:16:53

At work I'm Mrs x. I changed jobs straight after marriage and panicked

FarAwayHills Sat 24-Sep-16 08:22:22

I always hear about the issue of DCs with different names on passports but I've travelled for years with a different last name to my DCs and not once has it been an issue.

Sootica Sat 24-Sep-16 08:23:53

OP I think for maiden name you would be fine with your married photo ID and your marriage cert
How about keeping your maiden name as a middle name?

Sootica Sat 24-Sep-16 08:24:05

For maiden name ID

Specialapplek Sat 24-Sep-16 08:30:37

I never changed my name upon marriage. Last year at the airport I was flying back alone with DD (around 1 years old then) and I got grilled by the officer regarding our different surnames. She said they take child abduction very seriously.... okay.

I had a copy of DD's birth certificate on my phone and showed it to her. After much conference with her colleagues we were allowed entry.

Not changing your name could really lead to these problems! confused

FarAwayHills Sat 24-Sep-16 08:47:07

With regards to financial products, this could get tricky especially if your bank accounts are in your married name. When it comes to taking money out of these products, payments are usually only permitted to the bank account of the person on the named product. ID is usually also needed when it comes to drawing your pension.

monkeywithacowface Sat 24-Sep-16 08:52:03

I have kept my name and have never had a problem traveling with my children. There are thousands of unmarried people out there who don't share the same name so I really don't think it's a major issue

Musicaltheatremum Sat 24-Sep-16 08:55:33

I have my passport in my maiden name but have it endorsed with "professionally known as" and my maiden name which I still work under. Maybe you could do this. Then it would serve as ID for both.

choirmumoftwo Sat 24-Sep-16 08:59:52

Be careful if someone ever buys you a ticket and only knows you by your married name. My colleague was due to fly to a conference and wasn't allowed to board as her passport is in her married name and the ticket in her professional name (she's a doctor).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now