Noisy dog - well neighbour causing noisy dog

(6 Posts)
ZenMom Fri 23-Sep-16 16:32:45

More of a what to do thread.

Not feeling very zen like today or for the past few weeks.

I work from home and live in a usually quiet culdesac. Always has been except for a few shouty kids in the evening and summer but that's not a problem - their kids out playing rather that than on xbox.

For the last couple of weeks I've heard a dog barking persistently throughout the day (I love dogs, have a staffie who is essentially my 3rd favourite at times child. It's not all day every day but huge portions of the day.

I have been unable to work out which garden the bark was coming from until today.

It turns out the neighbour is stay at home mom who is home most days throughout the day. But has for some reason taken to putting the dog out in the garden during the day. She did tell me once she keeps it in a crate throughout the day which I thought was cruel but she didn't want it underfoot.

I checked and she is home but dog is barking for last two hours out the back.

Am I being unreasonable to find this so annoying? Why have a dog if your going to be in the house all day but leave the dog in the garden?

It gets awkward though. This neighbour is the wife of a man who was highly inappropriate verbally to my 15 yo dd (previous post about that). Not sure if wife knows - he has avoided all eye contact since my husband spoke to him about it (reaches over frantically pretending to look for things as we drive past, Manic back turns when out walking dog and we drive past etc).

So i don't want it to seem like my grievance is about the husband - it's really the persistent barking - I'm a graphic designer and need my peace and quiet.

Not sure how best to approach it.

I know I'm just one person but it horrible going from peace and quiet (the reason we moved here) to this noise every day.

Any one had this situation or similar and if so how to deal with it without making things more awkward and saving my sanity.

OracleofDelphi Fri 23-Sep-16 16:39:36

If the woman has spoken to you before, enough for you to know she crates her dog, cant you just talk to her about it? You could pop round during the day as both you and she are home, presumably her husband will be at work. Then you could ask her if she could take the dog inside?

It wont be the easiest chat but it wont be awful either. Just say that you keep hearing him barking in the garden and is there anyway she would mind taking him inside.

ZenMom Fri 23-Sep-16 17:10:28

I know I'm probably over thinking it in my irritated state and thinking of things that might never happen lol

specialsubject Fri 23-Sep-16 17:40:10

Not acceptable - serious noise nuisance and distressed dog . start with a polite word.

Dog needs exercising, attention, training - all things that involve owner getting off arse.

justilou Fri 23-Sep-16 20:07:20

Sounds like she doesn't want the poor dog. Perhaps you should talk to her. Bet it's the husband's dog - he sounds like a right grub.

Justmemyselfandi999 Fri 23-Sep-16 20:58:05

Contact your local dog warden, they can have a political word following up a noise complaint. Keep a diary of as evidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now