to ask school to cover up uniforms when using messy things?

(14 Posts)
DevineByName Fri 23-Sep-16 12:39:31

DD has ruined 5 polo shirts in two weeks with mud and (black) paint. She's also got a few dabs of whiteboard pen on which is probably unavoidable.

I buy cheap-ish, and I know what kids are like (especially when it's spaghetti bolognese for lunch!) but I remember using big tshirts to paint with. Do they not still do that?

Seeline Fri 23-Sep-16 12:46:32

Ours had waterproof aprons in each classroom.

Children hardly ever used them.
I ended up with the approach that I knw that I had washed their polos so they were clean. School could put up with the stains.

TimetohittheroadJack Fri 23-Sep-16 12:46:59

Have you tried sticking them all in the wash with a bit of bleach?

DevineByName Fri 23-Sep-16 12:48:33

I tried bleach, Vanish and all my other tricks sad

Glastonbury Fri 23-Sep-16 12:49:19

They should cover them up but all those stains should come out. Fairy liquid or household soap for mud and paint. Hairspray or vodka for the whiteboard pens.

RatherBeIndoors Fri 23-Sep-16 12:51:52

Pinafore dresses? The worst-stained polo shirts get relegated to being worn under one of those, or I suppose if you were more organised than me, you could start off using the dresses to protect the t-shirt in the first place grin

HarryPottersMagicWand Fri 23-Sep-16 12:56:19

We never got whiteboard pens out and I can usually get anything out. I refused to buy more shirts as it was always because they were sat on the floor and the children behind would wave their pens around, it was always on DS's back. I found reception class will usually wear aprons but after that they don't seem to bother. Annoying really.

confusedofengland Fri 23-Sep-16 12:57:09

My mum is the only one who can get DS2's white polo shirts clean! She washes them at 90 with loads of detergent (makes me sneeze there's so much), Vanish gold & hangs in the sunshine. Also, I have heard that vodka or nail varnish remover gets rid of whiteboard pen, but not tried it myself.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Fri 23-Sep-16 13:06:36

At our school marker pens seem to be used all the time - well by the state of my DC shirts confused

I use hair spray to get out the worst of marker pen (not sure if it works on biro etc). Spray the mark liberally and roll a cotton bud hard over it and bin it - not scrub as that just makes a grey splodge, the rolling action lifts the pen out without despositing it back in the shirt. Takes a canny few cotton buds though, not even sure if it's worth it tbh.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Fri 23-Sep-16 13:07:42

Forgot to say 90% of pen marks are due to pen duelling with mates in class hmm] angry

DevineByName Fri 23-Sep-16 13:09:56

DD hates pinafores- she says they pull her in!

It's very frustrating. Lord knows what she'll look like by June.

I was wondering how she managed to get it on her back though- sitting on the floor explains that!

Shezza71 Fri 23-Sep-16 13:10:31

Try soaking in water with bicarbonate of soda and adding a scoop into your washing machine too. Or put mucky polo shirts in a pillowcase with a scoop of bicarbonate and wash as normal

allowlsthinkalot Fri 23-Sep-16 18:00:05

I tend to assume school uniform will get trashed in the early years and take it as a positive thing that they are getting messy. I buy supermarket or second hand. I might feel differently if I had to buy very expensive uniform!

BikeRunSki Fri 23-Sep-16 18:03:47

Napisan and sunshine get white polo shirts clean. I am rubbish at laundry in general, but I am not bad with white polo shirts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now