To take my 2 and 3/4 old DGS to see the Jungle Book at the cinema?

(15 Posts)
polyhymnia Fri 23-Sep-16 12:17:42

It's the new live action version. Happened to notice local cinema has a reasonably priced Sat. morning showing.

Has anyone seen it and can advise if it would be suitable for a nearly 3 year old? He loves Frozen on TV, but that's not the same as sitting in a cinema for 100 minutes. Also don't know if it's scary.

I'd make sure he didn't annoy others and take him out if necessary, but is it basically a daft idea to even try?

pinkdelight Fri 23-Sep-16 12:19:56

It's wonderful but i took my 8yo and left my 5yo at home. It is quite scary in places.

Kitsandkids Fri 23-Sep-16 12:28:16

I'd heard that it has scary bits so decided not to take my 7 and 8 year olds. My 7 year old is a cheeky little daredevil but he can be quite sensitive and had to sleep with the light on for 2 days after seeing Zootropolis at the cinema (the bit where the otter in the cage is shown to be 'infected' scared him apparently) so I decided not to risk it! Looking forward to it coming to Sky or Netflix though as, typically, he's desperate to see it! But I think sitting in our living room with the lights on while watching will be 'safer!'

10storeylovesong Fri 23-Sep-16 12:29:43

My just turned 3 year old absolutely loved it at the cinema. He sat transfixed the whole way through!

SaucyJack Fri 23-Sep-16 12:32:00

I wouldn't bother unless it's terrible weather me you have absolutely nothing better to do.

I took my 2.5 year old to see it as my older two kids wanted to see it, and most of it went over her head TBH. She was just rolling about on the floor by the end of it.

Lasaraleen Fri 23-Sep-16 12:52:18

I left my 7 year old at home as she was terrified of the trailers and just took the older one. She is pretty sensitive though - I guess a lot of this depends on the child.

mygorgeousmilo Fri 23-Sep-16 12:52:36

If it's a Vue cinema doing the mini mornings/£1.99 seats thing then they'll do it every weekend, plus holidays. I wouldn't say it would be difficult to take them at all, but make sure you have lots of snacks and drinks - and maybe wait for a gentler film to come out. My 5 yo was fine with it but a few mums from his class said they had to leave the cinema because their boys were terrified. The animals are quite realistic and get quite aggressive, so on the big screen maybe a bit too much.

Sancia Fri 23-Sep-16 12:55:26

I'm not sure any film is going to keep a 2 year old still and quiet for long, especially not one that to a child that young is going to look like an extended nature documentary with scary bits.

I don't bother with kids and cinemas until around 5 or 6, or when they have shown they can actually sit through an hour-long film at home.

silverduck Fri 23-Sep-16 12:56:41

My 5 year old was scared. My older kids liked it.

Dementedswan Fri 23-Sep-16 12:59:44

It scared my 4 year old and he doesn't scare easily. I wouldn't take a 2 year old.

Dontneedausername Fri 23-Sep-16 13:01:04

Is it a movies for Juniors showing?
If so then yes, just take them and if they don't like it you won't have spent a fortune on tickets smile

MiaowTheCat Fri 23-Sep-16 13:48:19

My 4 year old was interested in it - but we've done lots of work on films having a scary bit followed by a happy ending to get her over wobbling over every bloody thing on the telly in the past... my 3 year old was like "oooh kitty" and then buggered off bored in 2 mins.

toastytoastbear Fri 23-Sep-16 13:49:44

It made me jump a few times!

mylaptopismylapdog Fri 23-Sep-16 13:55:39

No I wouldn't as it is quite scary compared to the cartoon version.

NoFucksImAQueen Fri 23-Sep-16 18:31:03

Um I did by accident since i didn't realise it would be so realistic and scary. Luckily my kids were fine but as pp said it went over my 2 year olds head

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now