To be unsure about visiting Paris on anniversary of November attacks?

(6 Posts)
user1474404784 Fri 23-Sep-16 00:15:53

Hi - long time lurker, new contributor (and for some reason can't change username confused )

Preface this by saying I have studied French for 15 years and currently do at uni, I love France and it's culture and I come from a Francophone background. I also hate terrorism.

My boyfriend works in Ireland and I'm in England, so we often plan European weekend breaks when we see each other. We've always talked about Paris and decided to go in November, the best weekend for us being 11th-13th. Crossed my mind when researching that this was around the time of the atrocities last year, so checked and my suspicions were confirmed.

Now, I'm not concerned about going because of the risk of another attack - firm believer in don't let the bastards win - more out of respect for the French people. It doesn't feel right for my BF and I to be swanning around Paris on our jollies when France is mourning the first anniversary of horrendous attacks on its capital and values as a country. From friends and family in France, I am aware the wounds are very much open, though as I previously mentioned, firm believer in don't let the bastards win.

BF is asleep so yet to speak to him about it, but will update thread with his view when I get it.

Opinions greatly appreciated. brew

IMissGrannyW Fri 23-Sep-16 00:31:32

If you think it's inappropriate for a romantic weekend, go somewhere else. Completely understandable.

If you're worried about going there, also completely understandable, but (as you suggest) that shouldn't be a reason NOT to go there, for all the reasons you list.

However, your down-time, your choice.

We were already booked to go somewhere near Nice this summer, and I must admit, I was big-time worried about it. But we went, and had a lovely time.

wobblywonderwoman Fri 23-Sep-16 01:34:40

I think if you're thinking about it this much- don't go.lots of cities out there.

Heart go out to victims sad

MaryTheCanary Fri 23-Sep-16 01:39:41

French tourism is having a hard time at the moment. I think if one wants to help the French, visiting France is probably a better idea than staying away!

Year ago, I visited Sri Lanka a year after the tsunami. One or two people I know were shocked, but as I pointed out, tourism was down and the local people there appreciated the visitors coming rather than staying away.

Paris is the city of light. I'm sure most French people would rather think about that than a bunch of arsehole murderers. They need the tourism.

I was in London for 7/7 and it wouldn't have crossed my mind that a tourist should avoid London on the anniversary.

ForalltheSaints Fri 23-Sep-16 07:09:48

Going in itself is a proverbial two fingers to Daesh. Just be respectful when near the Place de la Republique or other places which have been the focus of mourning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now