to ask if you go to work when sick?

(187 Posts)
CoolToned Thu 22-Sep-16 21:02:39

I think I have the flu.

Soubriquet Thu 22-Sep-16 21:04:05

If you do have the flu then no you can't go to work

<waits for all the posts who say you can't possibly have the flu if you are online>

Stay away. You'll get better quicker and won't give it to everyone at work.

Euphemia Thu 22-Sep-16 21:05:04

No way - stay in bed.

sandragreen Thu 22-Sep-16 21:05:22

If you actually had influenza "the flu" you would be totally unable to leave your home. You would by lying in bed, with a raging temperature, possibly hallucinating and aching to your very bones from top to toe.

HTH

bumbleclat Thu 22-Sep-16 21:05:34

Not with the flu but with all other illnesses I do because it's one of those jobs that is MUCH harder if you don't just go in (teacher)
Get well soon flu is awful brew

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 22-Sep-16 21:06:04

Depends what kind of sick but with something serious like the flu, no you shouldn't go in.

drinkyourmilk Thu 22-Sep-16 21:06:32

I stay home when I'm obviously better off in bed, and when I've d&v. Otherwise I go in, or work from home.

TequilaBlockingBird Thu 22-Sep-16 21:08:33

Depends, I've been to work with a broken arm , and feeling truly awful in pregnancy. And just after root canal.

But I wouldn't go with D&V or flu. I would be useless.

SabineUndine Thu 22-Sep-16 21:09:13

I'm with Sandra. Last time I had flu, I had to practically crawl to the loo for a pee and it was only about 5 metres away from my bed.

Passthecake30 Thu 22-Sep-16 21:09:25

I don't get paid for the first two days off sick, so, like many others, I take my germs in. At the moment I am spreading a chesty cough and cold around the office, the policy is so unfair. I don't have enough leave to take time off and I don't want to go without pay. I do stay off with stomach bugs/flu/tonsillitis.

jennyjenjen16 Thu 22-Sep-16 21:09:47

Depends on exactly how ill you are. If I have a cold then I'll dose myself up with paracetamol and tissues and crack on. It takes quite a lot for me to actually consider taking the day off sick. Proper flu is nasty though and if you genuinely feel to ill to work and painkillers don't take the edge off, I'd phone in sick. Also if you have something particularly nasty and contagious I'd also avoid going in for the sake of my colleagues or anyone else I might have to come in to contact with - particularly relevant if you work in a hospital for instance and around those with weak immune systems

Sunnydawn Thu 22-Sep-16 21:09:50

I do, and usually make myself worse.

But I had proper flu two years ago, left work at lunchtime because I felt so awful, phoned DH to pick up the children (only second time I'd ever called him to come home), and didn't get up for four days. I actually couldn't get up.

Went back to work the next week, ended up with a chest infection, and an asthma "episode". Took four months, two courses of antibiotics and two courses of oral steroids to sort out.

Hope you feel better soon. flowers

itmustbemyage Thu 22-Sep-16 21:09:55

I would say that if you just think you have the flu then you probably just have a bad cold so it would depend on type of job and if you feel okay enough to go in. If you really have the flu you wouldn't be able to go to work, even if you wanted to, cause you would feel so terrible.

bluebeck Thu 22-Sep-16 21:11:05

Doctors Gold Standard test for flu is:

Imagine there is a £50 note lying in the middle of your garden. Are you able to go outside and get it? If you can, you do not have flu.

So no OP, if you have flu you will not be able to go to work, or anywhere else.

Evilstepmum01 Thu 22-Sep-16 21:11:06

I've been off today and yesterday with the flu. No way am i going into work whilst I'm coughing and spluttering. I feel like poo, look worse and have been curled on my sofa!

YANBU to stay home!

feel better soon!

zzzzz Thu 22-Sep-16 21:12:22

nope SAHM don't get that option. I stop my "work" if I am hospitalised and even then I can generally micromanage by phone grin. I will never get to be "off sick again". I'm fairly unpleasant when ill though. No saints heregrin

Coulddowithanap Thu 22-Sep-16 21:13:44

I had flu a while ago and I had to have time off work. But I felt so ill there was no way I could do anything other than lay in bed.

I do go to work when not feeling great as if I don't get my work done then it just builds up as there isn't anyone else to do it for me!

AmeliaJack Thu 22-Sep-16 21:14:43

I've never had flu.

I go with a cold though.

If I don't have a fever or dizziness I go

If I have a fever or dizziness I work from home.

MsJamieFraser Thu 22-Sep-16 21:15:14

I've had flu OP and you wouldn't be able to post on here if you did, however that's not to say that a cold is a bloody stinking cold that knocks you for 6, drink plenty take paracetamol and rest, hope you get well soon.

c3pu Thu 22-Sep-16 21:16:44

Depends how many sick days I have left.

As a general rule I drag myself to work, and just sit there looking like death. People tend to avoid me if they know I'm ill and don't give me any much work to do.

Rather be at work getting paid for being ill than wasting a sick day for it.

CoolToned Thu 22-Sep-16 21:17:05

Apparently we're in flu season

I've been staying at home for the past two days. I didn't have work though so it worked out.

WhooooAmI24601 Thu 22-Sep-16 21:17:58

I work in a Reception class and go in with coughs, colds and sore throats. I've been in with migraines occasionally though I do have strong painkillers to relieve them otherwise I'd be scuppered.

With full-on flu it isn't an option regardless of what you do. With flu you simply can't get out of bed for work, so don't beat yourself up over needing time to get better.

trilbydoll Thu 22-Sep-16 21:20:23

I don't go in if I'm not happy about driving, so if I'm dizzy or something. I also don't go in with a bad stomach.

I work in an office, sat at a desk, so something like a cough or cold, while annoying, doesn't stop me working. Would be different if I had a more physical job, I imagine I wouldn't be able to work through some illnesses like I can at the moment.

spankhurst Thu 22-Sep-16 21:20:38

If you have flu for real, you need to prepare for at least a week, probably 2 or 3, of feeling like death. If you're in two minds about going to work it's unlikely you have it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now