Discounts!

(25 Posts)
SeenYourArse Thu 22-Sep-16 19:52:55

Is it unreasonable to expect a discount on a new pram from a shop? I don't expect them to offer any discount just because you ask but my husband does,he doesn't to want to pay full price on principle! As he thinks there will be room for a little discount and the retailer still make profit.
Can't decide whether to buy one now or wait until January Incase anywhere has a sale,but how likely is it that they will put an expensive pram on sale?! I'm really coveting an icandy Peach 2016 in Butterscotch as an upgrade from the Peach 2 I currently have that's getting a bit tired now. Has anyone ever bought a pram and had a decent discount on it??
(This is a stretch that it's an AIBU but I did try on another couple of areas but had no views or responses!)

Soubriquet Thu 22-Sep-16 19:54:25

You don't ask you don't get

Some shops will offer some sort of discount or deal when a customer asks

Some refuse

Soubriquet Thu 22-Sep-16 19:55:14

I think the best discount I've seen as a friend of mine. She got her pram half price because it had no box

ANiceSliceOfCake Thu 22-Sep-16 19:56:13

I think it sometimes helps if you are buying a few things, so you can say stuff like 'if I buy the whole travel system what's the best deal you can do' that sort of thing. But I agree, if you don't ask you don't get.

HeCantBeSerious Thu 22-Sep-16 19:57:04

I got my £1200 travel system for less than £800 by talking nicely to the shop owners/managers.

HeCantBeSerious Thu 22-Sep-16 19:57:36

They also stored it all for me for free until I was ready to take it.

rhiaaaaaaaannon Thu 22-Sep-16 19:57:39

It's worth asking. I'm not sure I'd ever buy brand new again though. Had some amazing ebay bargains over the years.

Sirzy Thu 22-Sep-16 20:02:01

It's wrong to expect, but no harm in asking!

HeCantBeSerious Thu 22-Sep-16 20:03:07

Mine did me for both children (5ish years) and I got £500 for it when I sold it. smile

SeenYourArse Thu 22-Sep-16 20:06:59

I've bought a couple of prams off eBay to be fair and I just really want to treat me and LO to something brand new just for him as he's had a lot of second hand stuff. He's my PFB (!) blush and we have saved up for one and I've put a lot of thought into choosing which to buy,my current icandy was second hand hence looking quite careworn now but I do love it.

rhiaaaaaaaannon Thu 22-Sep-16 20:15:29

I wasn't judging you op, there's nothing wrong with wanting a treat! smile

Bexta147 Thu 22-Sep-16 20:17:18

If you don't ask you don't get. We managed to get the car seat free with out travel system this time around just by asking. We saved around £100.

NaturalRBF Thu 22-Sep-16 20:18:00

We brought a peach 3 & we went to an independent retailer and got a good discount for cash and because we were buying other stuff

Wait wait wait. I got my pram for £600 down from £1000 on the Black Friday sales (U.K.)
I can understand wanting new for your baby. My PFB has a lot of hand me downs which I don't mind but the items I wanted new (pram, cot, car seat) I got all at a reduced price/offers for the ones I wanted. It was easier to wait as I wasn't pregnant at the time so didn't actually need it for use straight away

Or just get OH to ask for the discounts grin

user1471461436 Thu 22-Sep-16 20:23:55

I had an oyster max after i had my second and it was amazing. Its a tandem but only comes with one seat - you buy the second separately. If you think you would be planning on any more children within a smallish gap i highly reccommend it. It is very similar to the peach tandem whatever its proper name is but with less of a 'hinge' if that makes sense between the two seats making it not as unwieldy for shorties like me. It is also fine as a single which just means you have a massive shopping basket. I seem to remember it being cheaper than the i candy and we got it a third cheaper than retail price at a mother care outlet. I never considered it with my first but i really wish i had

user1471461436 Thu 22-Sep-16 20:28:45

A third off i should say, sorry

MatildaTheCat Thu 22-Sep-16 20:31:27

No harm in asking though not likely to succeed in a big chain unless it's ex display or similar.

However YABU if you think your PFB will be remotely glad or feel 'treated'. Entirely your call but honestly, if you need to save up ( and most would since its roughly the price of a far larger purchase) then I'd be inclined to spend the cash on something more lasting and buy another second hand one. Do you walk miles and is ds still a long way off walking independently?

Halloweenbaby Thu 22-Sep-16 20:45:28

Try smaller stores rather than chains or department stores if you want discount. We went to a family run business said we had x amount for a whole travel system the icandy peach I wanted was 900 and odd alone and I still needed a car seat. Got the last icandy peach which was ex display for a discounted price and also got a car seat for less than a quarter of its price just because we asked. Got everything for 1000 (I had been frugal in all other things but wanted new pram and car seat and family contributed towards cost)
If I were you id do the same- say you have x amount for travel system and something else.
Not sure how true this is but was told icandy rarely do sales as they just dont need to.

SeenYourArse Thu 22-Sep-16 21:10:19

Matilda I'm quite aware he won't appreciate it however it'd just be nice to not have to wash and scrub every inch of a pram before I put him in it. He's 14 weeks old so quite a while off walking yet and we are planning another baby in the next few years so it will earn its keep, I also walk a 5 mile round trip twice a week with my LO and he goes in the pram every day so worth the expense. Plus we've saved up for it (quite quickly and easily we haven't scraped) so why not buy myself something shiny and pretty seeing as I'm working hard (working almost full time again due to pressure from work not because financially I have to)

HeCantBeSerious Thu 22-Sep-16 21:13:32

I'm more concerned that you've bought "a couple" of prisms off eBay in that short time. Are you sure the one you'll buy will be a keeper?!

HeCantBeSerious Thu 22-Sep-16 21:13:43

*prams, not prisms.

FlowerHT Thu 22-Sep-16 21:30:03

I believe icandy don't normally allow their sellers to discount, however, if you go to one of the mothercare expectant parent events they give you a 10% off voucher which they will accept against icandy prams.

JustMarriedBecca Thu 22-Sep-16 21:46:24

I doubt you'll get much off as most big retailers won't offer a discount of that kind of brand. It is worth shopping around though. John Lewis price matched a smaller independent who did do a deal on a bundle (car seat plus travel system) so we ended up getting a better guarantee because of JL at the cheaper price. You just fill in a form online and they contact you back within a few days

SeenYourArse Thu 22-Sep-16 22:47:09

Yes I bought two different styles to see which sort I liked to actually live with and use... I love the icandy but not the more heavy classic type Silver Cross I bought. Have only really ended up Using the iCandy as i love it,so practical and user friendly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now