To think i don't need to go to the gym if i've been standing all day?

(15 Posts)
feellikeahugefailure Thu 22-Sep-16 18:44:39

Now I work with a stand up desk, it really feels like I've had a workout so dont gym - just a light swim and steam room.

Is it really a workout?

CurlsLDN Thu 22-Sep-16 18:47:21

Is your heart rate raised?

GardenGeek Thu 22-Sep-16 18:50:53

I never go to the gym.

It may not be beneficial to my cardio.

But it is beneficial to my thighs/calfs grin (which look like Victoria Pendleton if I do any exercise whatsoever)

Agrestic Thu 22-Sep-16 18:52:45

You'll get used to it after a while and feel like you've done nothing.

I used to sit down all day. Now I'm on my feet and constantly walking around. 4 month's on I don't feel like I've done anything physical. It did at first though.

LizzyBennett Thu 22-Sep-16 18:53:30

I'm a nurse - when I was on the wards I did 12 hour shifts with just an hour to sit down on break. It was not stop and heavy.

I stayed quite fat though. I still needed the gym. and to stop eating

feellikeahugefailure Thu 22-Sep-16 18:54:08

no heart isn't raised at all, but my legs ache.

Maybe not a workout but it must burn more calories?

DiegeticMuch Thu 22-Sep-16 19:03:40

I think so.
I had a summer job in a factory when I was a student, standing at a machine from 7am -12pm. I lost half a stone in those 8 weeks with no other lifestyle change. Calves ached at the end of the first week!

TwigletsMakeMeViolent Thu 22-Sep-16 19:25:12

You need to raise your heart rate for any exercise benefit. Will also help with circulation - standing all day isn't good for that.

Artandco Thu 22-Sep-16 19:42:37

I wouldn't think standing does much. Generally from 7.30am-7.30pm I only sit for maybe 1-2 hours for eating and meetings, otherwise I spend all day walking between places or standing usually at work. I still feel the need to run and swim 3 times a week

justilou Thu 22-Sep-16 20:46:07

I read an article in the DM (so it MUST be true) which concluded that the health benefits from working standing up were negligible. Sorry!

nennyrainbow Thu 22-Sep-16 20:54:00

Well no one NEEDS to go to the gym, but I hate to say that standing up all day has no benefits for your cardiovascular health, so you'd be better off doing some exercise. No excuse!grin

WellTidy Thu 22-Sep-16 20:58:58

You must burn more calories standing than sitting down though? Surely?

user1473537716 Thu 22-Sep-16 21:02:12

You probably feel you've exercised when standing still because you need to do some actual exercise.

I lift, bend and stretch for 10 hours a day at work. Still have to exercise. Look how many fat nurses, factory workers and teachers there are. All day on feet and walking.

user1473537716 Thu 22-Sep-16 21:03:57

You must burn more calories standing than sitting down though? Surely?

Yes, but I burn more calories scratching my arse than not. Doesn't mean I don't need to take regular exercise.

You don't need the gym to exercise, could be anything at all but you do need some exercise which gets you out of puff. No wonder everyone's fat now.

yeOldeTrout Thu 22-Sep-16 21:36:39

Doesn't your back ache like hell after a stand up desk all day? I know mine would.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now