To chuck dh clothes in the bin

(21 Posts)
BonBonCouture Thu 22-Sep-16 13:40:48

I have a magic washing machine. Whenever I put something of my dh's in, it creates a double!

I swear 95% of the washing is dh! That's including me and 6 month old ds. I don't think in the 10 years we've been together he's ever thrown anything out. WIBU to discreetly throw his clothes in the bin, surly he won't miss one or two t-shirts out of a hundred angry

And breath grin

Mynestisfullofempty Thu 22-Sep-16 13:51:44

If it's going into a washing machine rather than being handwashed is it that much effort ? It has no impact on me if my husband buys new clothes. I do all the laundry, but all that actually entails is putting things into the washing machine and taking them out again later. Big deal.

Gottagetmoving Thu 22-Sep-16 13:54:45

Ask him to throw out his old clothes?
You shouldn't throw out someone else's stuff.
If it bothers you to wash them, then don't. Ask him to wash them.

BonBonCouture Thu 22-Sep-16 14:06:38

Unless it's litterly in tatters he won't throw anything away. I'll maybe try and sell Gok Wan's capsule wardrobe idea grin

MrsJoeyMaynard Thu 22-Sep-16 14:11:44

I know it's tempting sometimes, but it is unreasonable to throw out someone else's stuff.

Arfarfanarf Thu 22-Sep-16 14:13:55

I dont get it blush

What does the number of clothes he owns have to do with the washing?

Surely he wears the same number of clothes no matter how many things he's got.

Or are you saying he gets changed several times a day but wouldnt if he had fewer clothes?

I'm clearly a bit dim cos i dont see the relationship between the two.

Hockeydude Thu 22-Sep-16 14:14:09

If his clothing fits into the wardrobe or whatever storage he uses then yabu

If his clothes are all over the place, then yanbu

MangoBiscuit Thu 22-Sep-16 14:15:12

Get him to read the Kondo book?

redskytonight Thu 22-Sep-16 14:18:55

I once counted DS's T shirts. He had 120. I pointed out that on the basis he wore 3 or 4 a week (as wore a shirt for work) he could go through most of the year without duplicating.

He took my point and did cut them down to a more reasonable number.

Mynestisfullofempty Thu 22-Sep-16 14:19:16

Arfarfanarf Excellent point. He may have a lot of clothes, but I don't see how he's wearing more clothes and therefore making more washing. Would the OP like him to throw out some of her clothes?

SheldonsSpot Thu 22-Sep-16 14:19:43

Surely the amount of clothes he wears is not directly connected to the amount of clothes he owns? Unless he's getting changed twice a day?

Anyway, what o do is every now and then I delve to the bottom of the ironing basket, pull out a bunch of clothes that haven't been ironed or worn in months, and ask DH if he wants to either iron them and/or put them in his already overfull wardrobe. That usually does the trick and he swiftly digs out a bag of stuff for the charity shop.

Sparklesilverglitter Thu 22-Sep-16 14:22:59

I don't often throw stuff away but I can't say I'd be very impressed if DH started throwing my stuff away

Your DH might have lots of clothes but they won't all be washed at the same time surely unless he changes 100 times a day

Gottagetmoving Thu 22-Sep-16 14:27:16

My DP has lads of clothes and yet he wears the same few things all the time.
There is only so much wardrobe space so I expect he will have to get rid of some clothes eventually. It's his problem not mine. He isn't getting any of my space, that's for sure.

JessieMcJessie Thu 22-Sep-16 14:29:22

mynest is full of empty

It has no impact on me if my husband buys new clothes. I do all the laundry, but all that actually entails is putting things into the washing machine and taking them out again later. Big deal.

But you have to hang them out on a dryer or the line or tumble dry them don't you? That's the faffy bit of washing IMHO, especially with big man sized clothes.

To those who say the number of clothes he owns should not impact on the washing, isn't the point that he will let a massive load of washing pile up as he always has more clean to dip into, rather than washing a smaller selection of clothes more frequently?

Topseyt Thu 22-Sep-16 14:33:49

My DH also has masses of clothes. It is up to him to decide what he keeps, charity shops or bins. Not me.

Don't throw his stuff away. Try to encourage him to sort through it (if he will). I would not be at all pleased if my DH began throwing away my clothes, and I am willing to bet you wouldn't be either.

The only thing I do throw out (with DH's agreement) are socks that have become more hole than sock.

LotisBlue Thu 22-Sep-16 14:38:42

I wouldn't throw away anything of dps but I have been known to hide his particularly nasty t-shirts at the bottom of the pile!

I agree that the number of clothes he owns shouldn't impact on the amount of washing.

HandmaidsTail Thu 22-Sep-16 14:41:52

I quality control DH's pants. Otherwise he wears them until they are like spiders webs. He never notices.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Thu 22-Sep-16 14:45:28

Make laundry his job.

NetballHoop Thu 22-Sep-16 15:00:55

I "archive" some of DHs T shirts into a suitcase in the loft. Then if he hasn't complained about them for a year they go.

BarbarianMum Thu 22-Sep-16 15:10:27

You shouldn't throw out someone else's stuff. But dh now has a 1 in one out policy for T shirts as his drawers were being totally filled with "favourites" worn to shreds.

seven201 Thu 22-Sep-16 15:31:45

I don't get how the amount he owns creates more washing? Unless he changes throughout the day to use all his clothes?

My husband wears really old boxer shorts where the elastic has gone. His logo'd work t-shirts have holes and are threadbare in many places, but he doesn't like the colour of the 'new' he thinks five years old is new. I've resisted all temptation to chuck stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now