To think we should just ban chewing gum

(30 Posts)
JonathanDunn Thu 22-Sep-16 12:04:42

It is disgusting, it is the worst form of litter and it has massive consequences on others. I stepped in gum today and it took me over an hour to get it off.

Ban it

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 22-Sep-16 13:02:21

YNBU. Not only the fact is it horrendous to get off.
The thought that it's been in someone's mouth, urgh envy(sick, emoji not envy).
Also. Nothing looks worse than people chewing.

PigPigTrotters Thu 22-Sep-16 13:03:52

Noooo, ds2 relies on chewing gum to calm down after school and stuff (ASD, sensory stuff).
Ban people from littering instead.

BlancheBlue Thu 22-Sep-16 13:07:42

Er people ARE banned from littering - doesn't stop the filthy bastards though

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 22-Sep-16 13:09:45

YNBU - either that or manufacturers should develop gum that hardens soon after leaving the mouth - I'm sure when I was see there was a news story about this but nothing seems to have come off it.

SnugglySnerd Thu 22-Sep-16 13:13:33

I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday, it's vile stuff. It is illegal in Singapore I believe.
I saw a midwife on duty chewing gum recently and thought it inappropriate - what if the gum fell out while she was treating a patient?! Gross!

HazelBite Thu 22-Sep-16 13:14:54

It is absolutely filthy just look at the mess on the pavements in any city/town.
And those filthy buggers who attach it underneath tables and chairs etc so you get it all over your clothes (ever tried getting it off a suede coat?)

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 22-Sep-16 13:16:46

YANBU

I don't even care about the litter, it's the constant open mouthed bovine like chewing that gets on my wick.

Eminybob Thu 22-Sep-16 13:17:31

Yanbu. Hate it
Everything about it. It's so rank anyway why would someone enjoy it? After about 30 secs you may as well be chewing blue tack.

MyKidsHaveTakenMySanity Thu 22-Sep-16 13:33:31

Yanbu. I hate gum. Makes me shudder even thinking about it.
Hubby however hates going to work without it though. He says it helps keep him occupied as its boring, repetitive work.

I hate hate HATE littering of any kind. And spitting. I make a loud, exaggerated "EURGH!" noise at anyone I see doing it. Disgusting bastards.
Spitting out gum is both spitting and littering rolled into one. Never mind fines, hang the dirty feckers!

LivingOnTheDancefloor Thu 22-Sep-16 13:34:47

YABU
I find a lot of things disgusting but I accept that it is other people's right to do it: someone picking their nose, someone eating a burger in the bus (and most of the time leaving greasy paper behind)...

Littering is already forbidden.
You say it has "massive consequence on others" because you stepped i it? So next time I step in dog poo shall I argue that dogs should be banned? (this is just for the sake of the argument, I don't really want dogs to be banned!)

DuchessofStBridget Thu 22-Sep-16 13:37:21

YABU. I got through masses of chewing gum in pregnancy thanks to a near-constant horrible taste in my mouth caused by heartburn. But I always disposed of it properly!

Wantagoodname Thu 22-Sep-16 14:20:34

Yabu I have family members with horrific breath - they need it!

redexpat Thu 22-Sep-16 15:39:29

I have horrific breath, even after brushing teeth. Mints dont touch it. Gum on the drive to college does.

TheNaze73 Thu 22-Sep-16 15:41:09

YABU. The issue here, is enforcement of littering not the chewing gum

HunterHearstHelmsley Thu 22-Sep-16 15:43:49

YABU. The littering is the problem not the chewing gum. I'm always chewing gum and don't see why I shouldn't because some people are tramps

Workworkwork1 Thu 22-Sep-16 15:47:22

YABU. Sugar free gum does wonders for oral health. Neutralises your mouth in barely 20 mins.

Workworkwork1 Thu 22-Sep-16 15:48:08

Maybe we should take away packaged food so people can't drop packets in the street...

kimann Thu 22-Sep-16 15:54:07

I'm from singapore and we banned it years ago. Best thing we ever did - people used to spit it out everywhere, it created such a mess on the pavements, sometimes I would accidentally sit on someone else's gum which they conveniently placed on the bench. Urghhh. Yuck!

JonathanDunn Thu 22-Sep-16 16:22:47

Yes Singapore is so clean as well

Oysterbabe Thu 22-Sep-16 16:23:53

YANBU. It's gross.

Lapinlapin Thu 22-Sep-16 16:25:26

Yanbu!

I loathe the stuff - the litter is bad enough but the chewing - urgh!

JellyBelli Thu 22-Sep-16 16:26:16

How about we teach people how to live among others without being massive dicks? I propose an actual class all the way through school. Teach people to use litter bins and things like that.

WalkingBlind Thu 22-Sep-16 18:03:35

YANBU it's the most disgusting substance in the world, I loathe it when people speak and you can see it in the side of their mouth envyenvy not envy

Natsku Thu 22-Sep-16 18:07:06

YABU chewing gum is great for oral health. People that litter should be pelted with chewed up gum though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now