To ask what's the best thing anyone's brought you in hospital?

(62 Posts)
brotherhoodofspam Thu 22-Sep-16 09:32:48

Sorry it's not really an AIBU but I'm looking for some inspiration. I'm traveling across the country this morning to visit my Mum who had quite major orthopaedic surgery yesterday - going to be in hospital for quite a few days, and am trying to think what would be nice to bring her. So far have home made cards from DCs, and card from DH and I, planning to get her favourite magazine, maybe some nice hand cream, she's not feeling like eating so wondered about some cherries or similar to pick at but not sure if you're allowed to take food in these days. So I was wondering if the good people of Mumsnet could tell me what was the best thing someone's ever brought you when in hospital.

Discobabe Thu 22-Sep-16 09:33:56

Dark chocolate digestives grin

MaxineRockatansky Thu 22-Sep-16 09:35:16

A foot long Italian BMT subway after I had DC2 grin.

googietheegg Thu 22-Sep-16 09:37:17

A packet of wet wipes.

Little nappy sacks for rubbish.

Some fresh-baked scones with little pots of jam and butter.

A cheapy tablet fully charged with some good films/documentaries loaded - plus headphones.

An extra pillow.

Dry shampoo.

A water filter bottle (Bobble from amazon)

Tinted lip balm.

Mints.

A little nail kit including an all-in-one nail varnish (Sally Hansen)

oxcat1 Thu 22-Sep-16 09:38:42

I always enjoyed those horribly over-priced fruit pots, with small squares of mango or pineapple, etc. I would also lose my appetite, but small cubes of moist fruit, particularly when offered sporadically by someone else (!), always went down a treat. Squash and flavoured water, and perhaps any tea or coffee that your mum particularly likes as hospital stuff is grim!

Nice face wipes (but not strongly scented) and even those spray mists are nice if feeling hot and bothered.

I also enjoyed colouring when more well.
Get well soon to your mum.

acasualobserver Thu 22-Sep-16 09:40:56

I know this isn't the answer your looking for but I would have liked people to ask me what I wanted or needed.

austenozzy Thu 22-Sep-16 09:41:45

Practical stuff: changes of underwear/bedclothes (more than you think will be needed), reading material, nice bottled drinks (lots), etc. I was ravenous when I came round and after, but others I've visited couldn't stomach anything for days, so that is variable. Like you say, long lasting stuff that can be picked at prob best.

Wishing her a speedy recovery!

Oldraver Thu 22-Sep-16 09:42:23

Good quality Stilton and crackers...days after DS2 was born.

I found the food in hospital ok, but very stodgy not enough vegetables and as everything is kept warm for a long time it all seemed overcooked..--and some fucker kept pinching my ordered piece of cheese-- I would of loved some raw veg, crudites type of thing and dips

CMOTDibbler Thu 22-Sep-16 09:45:52

When I was having a particularly grim stay, dh got Starbucks in a flask for me, and also bought an insulated cup so I could enjoy it.

vvviola Thu 22-Sep-16 09:47:45

A travel mug and proper tea bags when I was in hospital after having DD2 (admittedly this is possibly somewhat niche, as I was in Belgium at the time and they though an open jug of hot but not boiling water with a tea bag beside it was the appropriate way to serve tea).

When DM was in hospital last year recovering from her stroke, the things that were particularly useful/appreciated were light reading (magazines and light hearted books), mini bottles of Coke/7-up, a nice light weight dressing gown/bedcoat, slippers with a decent grip on the sole; and pictures of my DC.

MollyRedskirts Thu 22-Sep-16 09:48:00

I was in for a few weeks before having DS, and my best friend brought me a massive bottle of Gaviscon, complete with fancy bow. I'd been moaning because the midwives took my Gaviscon away from me and they were never around to ask when I needed it. That bottle was allowed to stay because it made everyone giggle.

If your mum hasn't had much appetite, I'd take her some nice drinks. Elderflower presse, or similar, with a nice glass to drink it from.

brotherhoodofspam Thu 22-Sep-16 09:56:14

Some great ideas here, thanks, will stock up on a few before I go today but as suggested by acasualobserver I'll ask when I'm in today what else she'd like for next visit as going to stay for a couple of days.

sparkleglitterdaisy Thu 22-Sep-16 10:00:53

You've got some great ideas given already . But squash is good to add to the sometimes not so nice water . Nice toiletries . Agree with the lightweight dressing gown , also a lightweight cardigan to wear in bed . Books to read . Might be too late if you've already left , but small wallet/ photo album with a few photos of you all in . Sweets . Tissues. But the most important thing you can take in is yourselves 😊- visitors are just the best in hospital to make you feel not forgotten about & loved ❤️

wornoutboots Thu 22-Sep-16 10:41:46

food!
and squash.

and more books.

Kittykatmacbill Thu 22-Sep-16 10:47:36

Nice picnic food from m&s!

newmumwithquestions Thu 22-Sep-16 10:48:09

Freeze bottles of water and take in - water is always tepid so it's nice to have a cold drink as they defrost.

A preloaded MP3 player and headphones wasn't dad's favourite thing. He was pretty out of it on painkillers so was struggling with films but liked drifting in and out of dozing with some music.

If she'll wear them then earplugs - hospitals are noisy!

olivesnutsandcheese Thu 22-Sep-16 10:50:47

After I had DS, DH brought me in a large McDonald's banana milkshake. I've never forgotten how nice it tasted and how pathetically grateful I was smile

5BlueHydrangea Thu 22-Sep-16 10:53:20

Be wary of what food you take in, there may not be good storage facilities, Particularly for fridge items. Get a marker pen too and label everything (food etc) so it doesn't walk if in a communal area. Well, it might still go but it reduces the risk!

user1473282350 Thu 22-Sep-16 10:59:39

Currently in hospital. Life savers have been:

Wifi.
Water Bottle
Non - slip slippers
A blanket from home
PJS so my butt isn't hanging out of the hospital gowns when I walk for a wee.
Fresh fruit
Favourite breakfast spread
Bottle of diluting squash
Coins for the trolley shop
Body wash, shampoo and conditioner and a hair brush and hair ties.
Phone charger
Hand lotion / cream
Ear plugs and head phones.
Lip balm
Fresh underwear and deodrant

Hope your mum heals up soon!

maythefleasofathousandcamels Thu 22-Sep-16 11:00:27

Chicken burger and chips after ds was born.
I've been vegetarian for about 20 years but it was the food of the gods.

reallywittyname Thu 22-Sep-16 11:04:48

A handheld fan and spare batteries after the birth of Dd2 - maternity ward, July, heatwave, post-partum sweats... it was a godsend.
Also an eyemask and earplugs.

shhhgobacktosleep Thu 22-Sep-16 11:05:34

I've spent far too much time in hospitals and the best thing I ever got was strawberries and dipping chocolate. But nice sleep wear is always great and welcome. Wishing your mum a speedy recovery

pointlessperson Thu 22-Sep-16 11:07:31

Red bull....after craving it for last month of pregnancy and obv couldn't have it lol

DH got me a takeaway pizza after DS1 was born.

I had a friend who had frequent stays in hospital. I used to bring picnic bits from M&S and one of their fruit pots or platters. That way she could pick at stuff when she felt like it.

cheapandcheerful Thu 22-Sep-16 11:15:11

Nipple cream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now