Broken item

(73 Posts)
TwatbadgingCuntfuckery Wed 21-Sep-16 22:33:49

More of a who is rather than am I.

I'm keeping it vague so I get unbiased opinions. I do know both people and have heard both arguments.

Person A offered to babysit for a fee. Person A is not a register childminder but a babysitter.

Person B agreed and left 2 children in care of person A. The children were cared for in their own home in the evening.

Whilst A was looking after the 2 children (ages 6 & 18mths) child 6 broke a tablet A had given them permission to use. It was dropped when Child retrieved it. It was balanced on a fireplace surround. This was confirmed by A. It was on charge.

A is demanding B stump up the cost of the tablet.

B states A was caring for them and fully responsible for what the children were doing. That A was doing a job and B doesn't feel responsible for breakages on As watch.

B also states that A shouldn't have let child 6 use it knowing how expensive and fragile it is and it is As responsibility.

B also said if they were there at the time it was broken they would pay for it because that meant they weren't watching their own kids and 'let it happen' but because B wasn't there doesn't feel responsible.

Child 6 has their own tablet but this is restricted at night. Childs tablet it already damaged but working due to the child dropping it. A knows this but allowed use of their tablet instead.

B doesn't want to spend £300ish on a replacement tablet.

A is demanding that they do.

Who is in the wrong or are they both in the wrong?

KP86 Wed 21-Sep-16 22:39:45

A needs to suck it up. She was responsible for the children at that time and it was an accident.

If DC had done it on purpose, then maybe I'd say B should contribute to the replacement.

Would it really be £300 to get the screen repaired?

MarklahMarklah Wed 21-Sep-16 22:39:54

On the basis of this, I think A is being unreasonable. A chose to let the children/child use the tablet. If the child has their own tablet, it would have been sensible to use that.

JesusDontWantMeForASunbeam Wed 21-Sep-16 22:40:16

A is massively in the wrong. Maybe B could offer a token gesture payment but nowhere near the full amount.

Birdsgottafly Wed 21-Sep-16 22:40:41

Person A recognises that it was their mistake and picks up the bill.

If the child had of been older, a split may have been appropriate, but not at 6 years old, they still do things that they shouldn't. Person A shouldn't have had the tablet out without closely supervising.

drinkyourmilk Wed 21-Sep-16 22:43:32

A is BU. They were in charge, and more importantly gave permission for child to use their property.

Coconutty Wed 21-Sep-16 22:43:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ayeokthen Wed 21-Sep-16 22:43:50

A is being unreasonable, they were watching the kids at the time so were responsible for what they were doing. Little kids are sometimes clumsy, accidents happen.

TwatbadgingCuntfuckery Wed 21-Sep-16 22:44:43

The tablet is completely broken and won't turn on.

From what I saw when I saw the broken tablet it had been dropped onto the stone hearth and possibly hit the corner of it. It was plugged in when it was smashed.

allsfairinlove Wed 21-Sep-16 22:45:49

Another one who thinks A is responsible under the circumstances described

WhateverWillBe Wed 21-Sep-16 22:48:28

A is BU and should bear the full cost.

If she'd given it to a 12 year old who'd thrown it in temper then i'd say the parents should stump up. But not in this situation.

If you give a 6 year old an expensive item then you're taking the risk it will be damaged or broken.

ayeokthen Wed 21-Sep-16 22:49:40

Also, what did A expect to happen if it was plugged in when the child was told they could go and get it?

DonkeyOaty Wed 21-Sep-16 22:55:01

A claims on their insurance surely?

B could if they wanted offer a token amount but really A was a bit silly to allow a delicate item to be handled by a child and ought to reflect on why they were not diverting attention/engaging the child in a non-delicate item activity

Butlerbabyno2 Wed 21-Sep-16 23:15:06

They should go halves.
A knew screen time was limited so child wasn't allowed their tablet but chose to ignore Bs rule and let child use theirs instead.

HOWEVER

Bs child knowing they shouldn't really be using a tablet still accepted As offer and subsiquently broke it, and if they are friends I personally could not allow my child to have broken something and not offered some form of compensation.
Both at fault, so equally both responsible to share the cost of replacing it.

Meadows76 Wed 21-Sep-16 23:17:53

It was an accident ffs. Are people really that silly?

HeddaGarbled Wed 21-Sep-16 23:20:15

Nonsense. B's child is 6 and can not be held culpable.

Aeroflotgirl Wed 21-Sep-16 23:29:10

Are agree with the majority, entirely A responsibility for giving a young child permission to use her tablet. Are you B op?

MyWineTime Wed 21-Sep-16 23:34:50

100% down to A
No going halves, no token gestures, A did not take enough care of their own belongings so tough.

TwatbadgingCuntfuckery Wed 21-Sep-16 23:44:25

No. I'm not A or B. I am a 3rd party dragged into this.

I shall confess A is my mother and B is my sister.

Rumpelstiltskin143 Wed 21-Sep-16 23:47:40

Mum pays for it!

BackforGood Thu 22-Sep-16 00:02:56

I disagree with most people here.
The babysitter does not pay for something that has got broken.
If the child isn't allowed to use it, then the parent should keep it out of the way and/or make sure the dc knows the rules (which at 6 they should be able to follow)
The parents claim on their house insurance - that's what it is there for. Accidents happen and stuff sometimes gets broken.

If I were the babysitter, that would be the end of any further offers of babysitting.

VioletBam Thu 22-Sep-16 00:06:49

I don't think the babysitter pays for something broken either! The person who left it unattended on the mantelpiece is at fault.

I never leave expensive electronics where children might grab or knock them.

The person who left it accessible is at fault.

Vikkijayne2507 Thu 22-Sep-16 00:07:43

Babysitter shouldn't pay for it, it's an accident iPads should be out of reach and sight of kids.

cookiefiend Thu 22-Sep-16 00:07:49

A is responsible. Though if my child broke something of my mother's I would likely try to replace it or split the cost (if I could) as its my mum and she is awesome.

However she doesn't charge us to watch the children and if she did I think that changes the dynamic. It sounds like their relationship is difficult anyway.

That's hard. It's not something they should fall out over.

cookiefiend Thu 22-Sep-16 00:09:55

Have I understood correctly though- the babysitter is the one who left the iPad in a sily place- it is her iPad not the parents?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now