Can a toddler be lazy?

(23 Posts)
T0ddlerSlave Wed 21-Sep-16 19:20:07

DD is 2.5 and has been walking since she was 13 months.

Today the childminder commented again that she can't keep up with the other children, even the much younger ones walk faster than her and are happy to run ahead.

DD has always made walking seem like such a chore and seems lazy. I'm so surprised being active isn't second nature at this age.

We rarely use the pushchair, preferring to walk short distances and carry her if she can't manage as expected, we encourage her to walk but don't alway have much time to get out as a family (she's at the childminder 4 days so gets plenty of exercise with her.)

Do I have a lazy toddler on my hands or is my v active childminder expecting too much. Any tips on how to improve her stamina?

rhiaaaaaaaannon Wed 21-Sep-16 19:21:31

How much does she sleep? Do you think she seems lethargic or just happy to take life at a slower pace?

rhiaaaaaaaannon Wed 21-Sep-16 19:22:27

My second child is lazy. If he can lay down he will. He's always been like that.

DerekSprechenZeDick Wed 21-Sep-16 19:23:45

My brother was a lazy toddler. He barely toddled. grin

He's 5 now and still prefers the slower side of life. He ain't one for running about or going anywhere.

If you ask him if he wants to come out with you he says no thanks, I'm fine here.

He hates walking anywhere. He always has done.

It's weird as my sister who is 6 can't stay still. She runs everywhere, wants to be out doing something all the time etc

TownMouseCuntMouse Wed 21-Sep-16 19:26:27

Yep, my 3yo is exactly like this. Not lethargic, she's very chatty and vivacious, just not active. She didn't walk until late, and just really moans and moans if she has to walk anywhere. If we go to the park she just wants to play sedentary games on the toy train, sit on the swing, or sit on a bench eating snacks and watching other kids. At home she just wants to sit and draw or play with her toys. She would happily sit and watch tv or play games for any length of time. She's just quite inactive - the opposite of lots of toddlers I know who are crazy bouncing off the walls hyper 😂 We have to work quite hard to get her to do much exercise which seems to be the opposite problem most parents of toddlers have...

Starlight234 Wed 21-Sep-16 19:27:42

My DS didn't enjoy walking.. He used to say pick me up I have lazy legs.

He is now 9 and prefers to run everywhere.

FrumpleMum Wed 21-Sep-16 19:28:48

My DS (4) was the same as a toddler, and is still the same now. Absolutely HATES walking. Turns out he seems to have dyspraxia, so walking is not as automatic for him as for other children, hence very tiring. When he was younger I always just thought he was lazy, and wondered why he didn't seem to be interested in running around like the other children, but now I kind of understand why. Maybe it could be the same for your daughter?

PerspicaciaTick Wed 21-Sep-16 19:29:19

I'd double check there aren't physical reasons why she makes such a chore if walking e.g that socks and shoes are well fitting, she isn't flat footed or over rotating her feet.
But she might just not see the point of rushing about.

T0ddlerSlave Wed 21-Sep-16 19:30:05

Well at least it's not just mine - doesn't bode well for teenage years though!

Not lethargic, getting plenty of sleep, just prefers to potter.

Sometimes she's happy to be a typical toddler, took her to the park yesterday after much cajoling and she was up the climbing frame and down the slide a dozen times. Mostly seems walking is the issue.

T0ddlerSlave Wed 21-Sep-16 19:30:54

Hmm DH is flat footed...

Luckystar1 Wed 21-Sep-16 19:34:55

My DS isn't lazy and loves running etc but he has hypermobile knees and ankles and the doctor has said it's likely he won't like walking far (he's only 22 months so it's hard to determine how far he actually walks at the moment IYKWIM), so that's another possibility.

T0ddlerSlave Wed 21-Sep-16 19:58:38

Lucky no signs of hyper mobility and I know a couple of similar aged children who have it, it must be frustrating for a child who's keen to be active.

To me, she seems ok. Definitely doesn't walk as far or as willingly as some similar aged children but she's quite stubborn and these children are more willing to go along with their parents' plans.

I always put it down to not having older siblings to chase after.

Is it because DH and I are pretty sedentary? Not giving her a good role model or going for long walks with her to show its fun?

I'm practically getting into a nature/nurture discussion!

I just don't know if I should tell the CM to suck it up or try and find strategies to speed her up.

Luckystar1 Wed 21-Sep-16 20:06:41

I'm lazy (err I mean sedentary...!) but DS isn't. I don't know the answer to that, but I doubt it's anything to do with you! DS runs around when he wants to. When he doesn't, snails move quicker!!

I wouldn't worry, we all can't be the same. And I've had friends worry their toddlers have ADHD because they're bouncing off the walls...!

T0ddlerSlave Wed 21-Sep-16 20:26:55

Haha, I'd consider myself lazy but a bit harsh for DH atm. He's currently got a dodgy ankle so can't walk far or on uneven ground. Physio finishing soon and I'm hoping we'll get out more before the weather gets bad.

Yes, DD is the same in that she can run when she wants to and dead weight when she doesn't.

Ah well at least she's not a bolter!

minipie Wed 21-Sep-16 20:34:08

I don't think "lazy" is the word but some toddlers and children are just more active than each other.

I remember a friend's baby who just sat still and calm the whole time - I thought she couldn't crawl because I never saw her move... but her mum said she could do it, just couldn't be bothered! Whereas mine couldn't keep still. As it turns out mine's the one with mobility problems...

If you and DH are sedentary people then your child has probably inherited that, partly through nurture partly through nature. DH and I are twitchy people, we get twitchy kids grin

wwyd123 Wed 21-Sep-16 20:56:28

When ds is on a go slow, I do, can you skip, walk backwards, run like a horse, stomp like an elephant, fly like a bird .... to get him moving would this work, or is she still a little young for understanding the words? It may work with the childminder though as her older mindees could do it and your dd may copy

rollmeover Wed 21-Sep-16 21:00:43

DD hates walking. Literally will complain from school to the car if I am picking her up. We use/d the scooter/bike a lot but it's still hard. I never now take the car short distances as she will think we will always take it so it's been good for making me walk more too!

GreatFuckability Wed 21-Sep-16 21:02:12

My son was always a bit like this. It wasn't until I took him to the podiatrist for a completely unrelated foot issue I found our he has extremely tight Achilles tendons and walking was harder/painful for him. Id probably get her checked just to be sure there isn't a physical cause.

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Wed 21-Sep-16 21:06:16

Until this week, DS was reluctant to walk anywhere. I think he thought walking to places was boring as he generally pretty active, as are DH and I. Now he's realised all the things he can investigate when he walks, he's fine. He's 2.10.

blueturtle6 Wed 21-Sep-16 21:19:11

Don't think it's to do with your lifestyle necessarily, my niece was hyper active at that age and my nephew wasn't, hated walking etc. Changed now and he's very active.

BravoHopeful Wed 21-Sep-16 21:26:55

My 4yo was like this. Turned out she had coeliac disease which caused anaemia. Now she is gluten free and no longer anaemic she is a super sporty and active 8yo.

T0ddlerSlave Wed 21-Sep-16 22:00:46

Wow lots of health concerns to look into. wwyd123 like the idea of stomping like an elephant etc, she's got excellent comprehension so that might be good.

It totally depends what frame of mind she's in, she'd be v likely to point blank refuse if asked directly, but perhaps if I'm silly enough she'll join in oh goody hope it's not too busy that day...

RunningLulu Wed 21-Sep-16 22:13:57

Could be the start of a vit d deficiency/rickets, some kind of allergy etc. I started walking late because of rickets and was only diagnosed because a nursery teacher said I was too slow and waddled as I walked. It got fixed though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now