Trying to return a Vodafone smartphone. AIBU to ask what to do next?

(5 Posts)

I'll try to keep this long story short(ish!) .

As you read, please bear in mind that neither DP nor I are tech-savvy.

DP ordered (online) a smartphone from Vodafone. It arrived on 31st August and he very soon realised it was too complicated for him, so decided to return it. The company's T&Cs say you can return a new phone within 30 days of receipt. On 2nd September we phoned V's 191 service and asked to return the phone ( I got involved because DP's hearing means phone conversations can be difficult). 'Fine,' the nice woman said. 'I''ll arrange for it to be collected by DPD, who will be in touch with you, but this will probably take about a week.'

Two weeks went by. On 16th September, we phoned 191 again. 'Oh, sorry,' said another nice woman. 'I'll just find out what's going on.' On hold for ages; then the call was lost. Phoned again; same thing happened. Phoned a third time; yet another friendly woman assured us all was sorted and the phone would be collected 'on Monday or Tuesday'.

Now it's Wednesday and no one has been in touch.

This morning we tried a webchat (had tried to do this several times before, but kept being told 'no advisers are available to chat with you'). The webchat person apologised and suggested taking the phone back to nearest V shop.

So I took the phone back today, but was told that because the order was made in DP's name, the shop can't deal with me. I do understand this - data protection reasons - and realise DP and I should have thought of that before I went to the shop. But he's not very mobile (waiting for an op), and can't easily get to the shop himself. Also, the V shop person said that in any case they aren't set up to receive a returned phone that was originally ordered online.

She suggested we go back to 191 and start again. Despite the fact that 191 have just fobbed us off again and again. I nearly burst into tears when she said that!

Any idea what to do now?

(Many thanks if you've read this far.)

lolalament Wed 21-Sep-16 17:51:30

Go on the money saving expert forums. There's a Vodafone complaints thread, and it's the only way to get things done. They have a special social media team that corrects things

Thanks, lola. I've had a look at MSE but I can't find a Vodafone complaints thread (told you I wasn't tech-savvy). I'll try looking again later.

jay55 Wed 21-Sep-16 18:14:59

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

It's the top thread.

Many thanks, jay.

flowers to both of you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now