How do you get in the zone?

(10 Posts)
MermaidTears Wed 21-Sep-16 12:06:10

I have a massive amount of weight to lose, now I've finally had my last baby.
Seven stone to be precise sad
I tried hard for a few days. Then failed.
My friend said to me that you will never be able to do it until you are 'in the zone'
How the fuck do I get in the zone???
How did you get in the zone. If you went on to lose a lot of weight?
Did something just switch one day?

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Wed 21-Sep-16 12:08:46

I use a calorie counter. The one I use is My Fitness Pal, but there are loads.

It's helped me make wiser food choices for sure.

You could maybe try that for now.

Not sure about getting in the zone or whatever though.

rhiaaaaaaaannon Wed 21-Sep-16 12:08:51

There's usually a trigger isn't there. Like someone will tag you in a very unflattering photo, or you'll see yourself at a horrible angle. They burn in to your eyes so that every time you see a donut you see that photo of yourself. That's what happened to me anyway blush

rhiaaaaaaaannon Wed 21-Sep-16 12:10:26

P's 7 stone is a lot to lose. You need to take your time and be sensible over it. Eat a healthy diet and cut back on the crap to start, don't go in all guns blazing or its too hard to stick to.
Good luck.

Oysterbabe Wed 21-Sep-16 12:13:32

I think it's about figuring out a sustainable regime that actually works for you. WW, SW, low carb.... for me it was 5:2. It was the thing for me that was just a good fit. Only having to diet 2 days a week stopped me from feeling miserable and thinking fuck it. The other days gradually got healthier too as my appetite decreased after the fasting days.

GlitteryFluff Wed 21-Sep-16 12:15:11

Watching for ideas. I have about 5st to lose. I know exactly what you mean about the zone. I got into it once and lost about 3st then fell pregnant and it's al gone wrong. DS is two now though so need to get back into it.

ragz134 Wed 21-Sep-16 12:20:13

I actually disagree with this as I feel it leads to yoyo dieting. I do well when in the zone, then gain weight back again. Over and over and over. The best advice I read was to just do it, even when you don't feel like it. That you should not have to be motivated, waiting for motivation is counter productive. What you need is discipline and good tools to use to help you with this. I haven't yet mastered this, but I am working on it...
This link explains it well www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/

MermaidTears Wed 21-Sep-16 12:23:23

Some good tips.
I'm going to attempt low carbing as I really do eat about five times too many carbs.
Seven stone is alot. But I want to break it down to blocks of one stone.
Goal is 9st8lbs.
Seems forever away.
I cannot get myself motivated despite being horrified every morning by my reflection in the mirror.

PervyMuskrat Wed 21-Sep-16 13:38:13

My kick up the bum moment came when I saw a hypertension consultant and despite assurances from other HCP that I wasn't that overweight, he pointed out that my BMI was actually 28 and I would probably help my BP if I could get down to normal BMI. I took it as a bit of a challenge and made it in about 4m but it crept up again slightly this year so I've set myself a goal for a big birthday and now only have 3-4kg left to go to get back to the weight I was 12 years ago. Fitbit combined with MFP works for me - I also allow myself treat days for big events so I don't feel like I'm missing out. Best of luck!

Fluffsnuts Wed 21-Sep-16 14:19:22

You really do have to get in the zone. The weight you have to lose is actually pretty immaterial- I've hit 'the zone' with about 9lbs to lose, this time 'the zone' came at 3 stone, I'm 1st 5.25 down now. It's like a switch in your head goes, and you just have motivation. It comes and goes but on the whole has stayed. I was doing calorie counting (lost 11lbs) and then switched to Paleo as I feel it is more of a lifestyle I'll be able to maintain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now