To ask if anyone keeps geese? And if so, what's their fucking problem?

(166 Posts)
BastardGoDarkly Tue 20-Sep-16 21:58:54

Just that really grin

We've got a smallish geese farm out the back of us, and they always seem to be kicking off about something!? I only notice it around now, when I'm in bed and it's quiet. What's up with them?

Oysterbabe Tue 20-Sep-16 22:00:21

They are bastards.
My parents have a few that play the role of a guard dog, fuckers hurt if they get you too.

MariaCameFromNashville Tue 20-Sep-16 22:01:07

Just aggressive tossers, I reckon.

* knows nothing about geese *

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 20-Sep-16 22:02:12

When I was a kid we used to stay on a farm campsite sometimes - they had a goose called Henry who used to wait for the kids to appear and chase them grin

SanityClause Tue 20-Sep-16 22:02:15

Why is there so much geese hate? Geese are lovely!

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 20-Sep-16 22:03:42

I love them but they are lairy little fuckers grin

Soubriquet Tue 20-Sep-16 22:03:53

Geese are the devils animals

See! Even their tongues have teeth

BastardGoDarkly Tue 20-Sep-16 22:04:07

People do use them for guarding don't they? Well they don't miss a trick, that's clear, noisy bastards.

HappenedForAReisling Tue 20-Sep-16 22:04:23

Why is there so much geese hate? Geese are lovely!

Only if cooked properly.

SanityClause Tue 20-Sep-16 22:04:49

We live near a pond where there are geese. They often are to be found crossing the road, with queues of cars waiting for them. Sometimes they just meander along the road. It's quite funny with motorists getting the rage, and the geese just mooching around. They just don't care!

HumphreyCobblers Tue 20-Sep-16 22:04:51

We have two pet geese. They used to be vicious towards me, particularly when I was pg for some reason. DH just looks at them and they back off. They are sexist geese.

For some reason they have calmed down a lot and now go to bed at a decent time, rather than making me wait up until dark in summer.

We should have eaten them when they were still young and tender <regretful>

Euphemia Tue 20-Sep-16 22:05:37

I used to live near a whisky storage place that had guard geese! Hard bastards.

BastardGoDarkly Tue 20-Sep-16 22:05:44

Jesus soubriquet that looks like something out of Aliens V predator shock

NerrSnerr Tue 20-Sep-16 22:08:24

I do quite admire their attitude, they clearly don't give a fuck. They might be good in combat, I wonder if the army have ever considered using geese on the front line?

Soubriquet Tue 20-Sep-16 22:09:58

What about this mouth then? grin

Leatherback turtle

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 20-Sep-16 22:10:12

I love geese! We have a family of Egyptian geese near us each year and they are gorgeous. One year they had ten babies and I think most of them reached adult goose-hood.

Longlost10 Tue 20-Sep-16 22:10:57

Ours have been known to chase off burglars, but if they are out this late they will be quite frightened, foxes, etc. Surely they should be away?

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 20-Sep-16 22:11:03

Oh and how the adults would laugh as we terrified children ran from the vicious beak - they would tell us to say 'shut up' to him to make him stop. That only worked with adult voices though grin

Oysterbabe Tue 20-Sep-16 22:11:06

I have a childhood memory of watching my sister hastily backing away from a charging goose in terror and falling into a wheelbarrow.

I swear the goose was laughing.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 20-Sep-16 22:11:40

gringringrin That's brilliant!

Bodicea Tue 20-Sep-16 22:12:01

We had geese when I was a teenager. Chased us all the time. I have scars on my ankles from them. They abandoned their eggs which we took and cared for, hatched and hand reared and eventually let join their parents that had abandoned them. The bastards turned on us too. Then we had four of them chasing us!!!

Alfieisnoisy Tue 20-Sep-16 22:12:55

My SIL keeps geese...they are fab until they lay eggs and have goslings after which they become the devil incarnate. My SIL goes down to feed them wearing a long skirt, wellies and carries a dustbin lid with which to fend them off.

MadamDrag0n Tue 20-Sep-16 22:13:23

I look after a few and they are feisty buggers. Much worse when the ganders are protecting their girls but I've only ever been nipped once or twice when checking nests and that always seems fair enough. Normally their honk is worse than their bite.

plominoagain Tue 20-Sep-16 22:15:31

My neighbours have them and they're incredibly territorial . They got out onto our fields once and we tried herding them back until they turned on us, so we ended up using the Landrover , and even then one of them tried attacking the bonnet .

CheshireChat Tue 20-Sep-16 22:16:48

This reminds me of the time a goose attacked our car as it was white! Horrible as I thought we'll run him over.

There's a lot of geese in a park not far from us and they're quite placid at least to humans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now