to think Urban Outfitters were right?

(265 Posts)
PenileImplant Tue 20-Sep-16 20:08:51

mic.com/articles/154301/urban-outfitters-misses-the-mark-on-gender-nonbinary-acceptance?utm_source=policymicTBLR&utm_medium=style&utm_campaign=social#.lYCPcDysd

"Let's clear something up right off the bat: I am trans. The reason this seems like a proclamation worth making is that, to the untrained eye, I may seem like your everyday New York City cisgender gay guy. I haven't had any hormones or facial electrolysis, and I don't have any boobs. But make no mistake: I am trans. I wear basically all women's clothing, makeup, and hairdos and I identify as a gender-fluid trans person"

So he is a man. He looks like a man, presents as a man, calls himself Nicholas, and does not refer to himself as a woman but he is upset that he was not allowed to change in the women's rooms despite being told that there were currently young girls in the room.

originalmavis Tue 20-Sep-16 20:13:52

Cisgender? What the hell is that?

I'm a megender.

FloraFox Tue 20-Sep-16 20:14:39

He only cares about himself. The women's changing rooms are purely there to validate his view of himself. Nothing to do with privacy or safety of young girls. angry

Me too, he's not trans he's a cross dresser jumping on the trans wagon so he could shop with his female friend.

I'm sick of all this nonsense

originalmavis Tue 20-Sep-16 20:17:20

Lorkes - just saw the pic on the link. Yikes.

How can you be both gender fluid and trans? Surely trans suggests you want to be the other gender, and gender fluid means you do WTF you want.

Or are they saying they were 'identified male at birth' but believe they are a woman but a woman who is non binary.

I'm going with KNOB as a descriptor. Far easier to say.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 20-Sep-16 20:21:19

YANBU. What a self absorbed twat. Yet another person mixing up sex and gender - yes he may identify as a trans gender fluid person confused but he is still male and should be using the male changing rooms.

everythingis Tue 20-Sep-16 20:24:20

Such a non issue. I think the posted reply from the shop is perfectly reasonable.

PenileImplant Tue 20-Sep-16 20:24:31

But he wears women's clothes and make up.. which is all we are obviously..

Hoppinggreen Tue 20-Sep-16 20:26:20

He/she was unable to breathe after being asked to go into a certain dressing area?
What a load of bollocks.
I don't really care what you want to call yourself or dress as and I would defend a persons right to wear whatever clothes they want but it looks to me like someone just wants overly dramatic content for their blog.

originalmavis Tue 20-Sep-16 20:29:59

Shit. I rarely wear makeup, lived in DMs, blokes jeans and lumpy jumpers as a teenager. I also had very short hair. Dear god I'm a gender DooDah whotzit.

All these years and I could've been using mens loos. Shorter queues, dammit.

GingerbreadCake Tue 20-Sep-16 20:30:16

Of course they were right! Who is he trying to kid? I don't think trans people should be allowed into women's changing rooms if they are biologically male and vice versa. I think there are a lot of militant troubled people out there who need help.

FarAwayHills Tue 20-Sep-16 20:31:23

Young girls have a right to privacy and safety. The current obsession with being so inclusive and trying to accommodate everyone's mixed up definition of gender is just bonkers.
Enough please

BeyondASpecialSnowflake Tue 20-Sep-16 20:33:57

Man. Man man man man man man man, man. Man.
🚹

RestlessTraveller Tue 20-Sep-16 20:34:05

I'm trying to work out if you are being goady as this is one of the mist anti- trans/fluid/non-binary places on the Internet. Is this your first post?

originalmavis Tue 20-Sep-16 20:34:08

But let's face it, his selfish wants trump girls' rights to get undressed in an environment where they feel safe. As long as he can have his hissy fit and get his fizzer all over the social media.

SpaceUnicorn Tue 20-Sep-16 20:34:28

Well isn't she/he/whatever the most very speshul snowflake that ever existed? hmm

Twat.

SpaceUnicorn Tue 20-Sep-16 20:38:14

Also, I'm proper lolling at 'to the untrained eye'.

Because the 'training' currently in place for stopping men going into areas where women are undressing is so oppressive, eh?

LittleWingSoul Tue 20-Sep-16 20:40:38

I like the idea of claiming gender doodah wotzit to use the shorter queues for mens loos :-)

Clearly nothing that bad has ever happened to this guy - who is apparently in his 30s - if this can set him off?!

ladyballs Tue 20-Sep-16 20:41:32

YANBU at all.

ToastDemon Tue 20-Sep-16 20:42:46

RestlessTraveller your post is satire right?

Horrible self-absorbed man. So sick of this shit.

acasualobserver Tue 20-Sep-16 20:45:44

I agree, he's a self-regarding fool but couldn't a lot of this toilet/changing room angst be remedied by just having joint facilities with separate cubicles?

MissLadyM Tue 20-Sep-16 20:46:22

I'm sick of all this bollocks! I refuse to call myself cisgender because I'M FUCKING NORMAL!

PickAChew Tue 20-Sep-16 20:46:48

Maybe it would be simpler if dressing rooms were delineated by Dick or No Dick.

user1473537716 Tue 20-Sep-16 20:50:00

Yeah, but he's totes special and tumblr loves him and it's too hard being a male in the patriarchy <sob> but still having a few places you can't go, like where women are vulnerable and not expecting a man. Poor little snowflake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now