to be really irritated that he frequently mispronouces these names?

(24 Posts)
MaxineRockatansky Tue 20-Sep-16 20:00:35

despite me (gently and in good spirits) correcting him?

'He' being my love interest. He says David BOW (as in the bow of a ship)-ie.

He also mispronounces another (quite niche) musician's name. A musician he introduced me to, is really into and has seen live numerous times.

Both David BOW (as in a bow tie) and this other person say their names 'my' way. They should be the authority on the subject, right?

When I've corrected him he has just sort of shrugged and hmmed. Either he doesn't like being wrong and is sticking to his incorrect pronunciation out of pig-headedness or he forgets each time. We talk about music quite a lot btw, I know this probably wouldn't matter to most of you.

It makes me want to scream!

wowfudge Tue 20-Sep-16 20:03:08

LTB.

Just thought I's get that in early.

FoxesSitOnBoxes Tue 20-Sep-16 20:06:16

It is boh-ee though. Have a Google

FoxesSitOnBoxes Tue 20-Sep-16 20:06:50

Oh sorry, totally misread that!! Yes LTB

MaxineRockatansky Tue 20-Sep-16 20:08:29

That's what I'm saying Foxes. Bow-ie as in bow tie, bow on a gift.

He says bow as in cow confused

[[

Littlecaf Tue 20-Sep-16 20:10:23

I've always said Bow (as in wow) - ee. I know I'm in the wrong and I don't care.

MaxineRockatansky Tue 20-Sep-16 20:11:18

here!

God I know how petty I sound but it genuinely does wind me up.

He also sends me inane texts about the weather almost every day. I never even watch the weather forecast. Gah!

MaxineRockatansky Tue 20-Sep-16 20:11:57

But why Little?

To deliberately mispronounce someone's name seems so weird to me.

IveAlreadyPaid Tue 20-Sep-16 20:13:57

You're just not that into him.

LineyReborn Tue 20-Sep-16 20:14:19

So what does Zowie rhyme with?

Owlytellsmesecrets Tue 20-Sep-16 20:18:48

Hmmmmm .... I'm with him ... Tell him TLB(bitch)

OverAndAbove Tue 20-Sep-16 20:19:50

Well it says on the link above - pronounced like Zoe...

Owlytellsmesecrets Tue 20-Sep-16 20:20:29

Zoe Bowie .... Perfectly acceptable boys name!

LineyReborn Tue 20-Sep-16 20:25:08

Is the other one Christopher Maloney?

MaxineRockatansky Tue 20-Sep-16 20:30:37

Liney grin Nope.

I'veAlreadyPaid could be right. I enjoy spending time with him and the sex is really really good but there are a few things about the way he communicates that I'm not delighted with. He repeats himself a lot, will start telling me about something he already has. It's almost like he doesn't think 'have I already told her this?' before speaking. It wouldn't bother me if it was rare but it's not.

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 20-Sep-16 20:32:14

Who's the other one?

acasualobserver Tue 20-Sep-16 20:38:53

The great man himself wasn't overly concerned about the correct pronunciation of Bowie. Nor should you be.

LineyReborn Tue 20-Sep-16 20:44:46

Michael Bubble

Leonard Cone

Ellie Goolding

Littlecaf Tue 20-Sep-16 20:53:27

MaxineRockatansky

Dunno. My parents always pronounced it that way, and it just stuck I suppose.

And there are bigger things in life to worry about.

I don't do it to actual people I know or anything.

and before you all start, everyone pronouces my surname wrong, it grates at the time but I swiftly take them out with my laser eyes and they are just a pile of dust

Fluffyears Tue 20-Sep-16 21:01:05

I know a family called 'bowie' they pronounce it to rhyme with cow, since it is there name I take it they know best!

MaxineRockatansky Tue 20-Sep-16 21:01:05

Little grin I have a typically vowel-heavy Irish name and live in the UK. My name gets mispronounced all the time, I feel your dust lasers grin.

The other singer is Sturgill Simpson. Pronounced Stur-jill. Not Stur-gill as in gills on a fish. Which is what the love interest says.

I am well aware I sound like a cow. I'm a pedant, have tried not to be but I am. If someone corrected me on something I said, I would google it and if I was saying it wrong, I would change to the correct pronounciation. To not do so would be stubborn and silly.

couldntlovethebearmore Tue 20-Sep-16 21:32:52

That's nothing in DH's world poorly people go to 'hospikkle' and if he needs a drink he's 'Thursday'

MaxineRockatansky Tue 20-Sep-16 21:38:28

couldnt shock

He would be Trevor Jordached by now if I were you.

Hospikkle shock

Littlecaf Tue 20-Sep-16 21:51:05

MaxineRockatansky

It's ridiculous having a hard to pronounce name. I vote we start calling ourselves Jane Smith. David Bowie can be John Smith.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now