The news and young children

(3 Posts)
Corneliagoescamping Tue 20-Sep-16 14:15:23

My son and daughter aged 5 & 7 get a school mini bus to their rural primary school. My son has been really upset about things he has heard on the news. I don't really think the bus driver should have the radio on when the news is on- content such as murders, rapes, war etc is not suitable for young children. AIBU? Before I speak to him/school?

RunningLulu Tue 20-Sep-16 14:22:36

I personally believe the opposite- think kids should be aware of what's going on in the world around them when they start school, and parents should support them by talking out their fears and concerns. Kids that age (5 plus) can also cope by doing thing they think will help to fix a problem - volunteering, raising money, writing letters etc etc. (I say this as a mum to a really sensitive 14 year old who still gets upset about the news).

Prawnofthepatriarchy Tue 20-Sep-16 14:40:59

I never let my small children watch the news. Don't use a radio so not relevant. But I think the news, by its very nature, is going to be disturbing. I'd speak to the bus driver or the school. Wouldn't be surprised if the school weren't horrified.

When one of mine was very small he got out of bed in the middle of the night. The sound of the TV woke me. I went downstairs and found him watching some really horrible news footage. He turned his little face to me and said "It's real, Mummy, it's real." He was so upset.

People often think kids see violence in cartoons so reports of violence on the media won't upset them. But they can tell the difference. That's not to say that I don't have concerns about very realistic violence in TV dramas. I do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now