To not have this cleaner back again?

(51 Posts)
CleanerBlues Tue 20-Sep-16 13:21:36

After months of deliberating dh and I finally decided to splurge on a cleaner. I keep the house very tidy anyway, but with kids, a bad back and an increasing workload, we thought that having someone in to do the bigger jobs like floors, dusting and deep cleaning the bathroom would help. Found someone who sounded great with good references and after discussing with her, we decided that 2 hours should be more than enough time to do what I needed.

She came yesterday and I needed to go out so left her exact instructions of what I wanted done. All surfaces downstairs wiped, a small bit of polishing, floors swept and mopped, stairs hoovered and bathroom deep cleaned. Specifically told her not to use the Hoover on the hard floors as it is rubbish on them, plus it's a handheld dyson and the battery won't last for the stairs. She said fine.

Came back and the only real difference I could see was the floors had been mopped. She had obviously used the Hoover on the hard floors as there was still bits of crap on them and the stairs had obviously not been hoovered at all (and the Hoover battery was dead). It looked like she had wiped the wooden units with the duster but the few photo frames and ornaments were still dusty. In the bathroom (which is tiny) she had obviously not wiped the outside of the toilet or the heated towel rail at all. The sink was still grubby and the shower screen (which she said was one of her specialities) had been given a quick wipe at most.

Aibu to be annoyed and disappointed and not want her back again? What she did could not have taken more than 45 minutes. We paid her £24 and she did a shit job. We didn't make any specific arrangements for a repeat visit, she said she'd ring when she knows what hours she's free next week. I'm dreading the call tbh. I could get over it and give her another chance if I had been vague but my instructions were fairly specific so I feel like she took the piss. Aibu?

Number4OnTheWay Tue 20-Sep-16 13:24:27

I've found going with an agency the best thing. I don't have to deal with any of this anymore, I just call up the agency and tell them I'm not happy and why and they sort it out for me.

SoleBizzz Tue 20-Sep-16 13:24:38

Yanbu

Find someone else and text her to say you no longer need a cleaner

Jackie0 Tue 20-Sep-16 13:24:58

Absolutely not bu.
I wouldn't have her back and I'd tell her why.

Shoxfordian Tue 20-Sep-16 13:26:42

Yeah I agree using an agency is the best option- they do spot checks then to make sure the cleaning is right and you can also complain and get a new cleaner easily if there's an issue.

Text her and say you weren't happy with the work and you're going to use an agency

twopenneth Tue 20-Sep-16 13:31:20

You're not in the north east are you? Sounds like our (ex) cleaner!

CleanerBlues Tue 20-Sep-16 13:37:19

No, not in the north east twopenneth. Where I live doesn't have many cleaning agencies nearby and the ones I did call quoted me up to £5 per hour more than hiring a cleaner directly confused Having my floors washed and bathroom cleaned is a chore for me but definitely not worth £34 per week confused

Number4OnTheWay Tue 20-Sep-16 13:39:32

Agencies are more expensive, but it's not just about the cleaning, its not dealing with these issues. For me it's totally worth it.

flagnogbagnog Tue 20-Sep-16 13:41:35

I'm a cleaner, and do you know what, I'd say definitely get rid! The first time I do a job for anyone I go over top with the cleaning making sure I make a very good impression. If she is like this now, what would she be like in a few months?

YelloDraw Tue 20-Sep-16 13:45:19

Yeah, just tell he you weren't happy and go with an agency. Then you can just do everything thru them if you aren't happy.

CleanerBlues Tue 20-Sep-16 13:53:09

flagnog that's exactly what I was thinking! If I was hoping to get repeat business from someone I would go above and beyond on the first visit. I guess if I'm really serious about it I'll just have to pay that bit extra and go with an agency in future.

nicenewdusters Tue 20-Sep-16 13:53:45

Definitely contact her and say you won't be needing her again. If she asks why then be as honest as you feel able. Not a good enough job for 2 hours.

Ask your friends and neighbours if they have a cleaner. Anyone who's still really good 6 months down the line is what you're looking for. A good cleaner won't really need to be told specifics after a while, she/he will be able to see what needs doing automatically.

Heidi41 Tue 20-Sep-16 13:58:25

I have a feeling you may not hear from her I think she did a crap job deliberately bc she doesn't want to work for you perhaps she thinks it is too much work for her . Just my twopence .

Toddlerteaplease Tue 20-Sep-16 14:00:50

Sounds like my cleaner. She only stays 40 min and she's meant to do an hour. Never moves anything. I try and be out when she comes Coz she sits on the arm of the sofa chatting. I was completely hmm when I came home to find her sitting on the stairs reading a magazine that had come in the post and I hadn't opened. I know I need to sack her but can't bring myself to do it.

CleanerBlues Tue 20-Sep-16 14:03:37

If she thinks it's too much work for her then I think she's in the wrong profession. My houe is a small 3 bed semi which is kept relatively clean and the bathroom is only 5ft by 6ft hmm I dread to think what she thinks is reasonable work then.

WarholsLittleQueen Tue 20-Sep-16 14:07:10

OMG at the cleaner who opened your magazine!

What did you say??

OP yanbu, that's shit, I would not ask her back and I would tell her why as well. I personally would look for another independent one. Maybe try asking on FB local sites for recommendations. I wouldn't go with an agency as they are a rip off and pay their workers peanuts.

Heidi41 Tue 20-Sep-16 14:07:43

I know but some ppl want their cake and eat it sts lol....she prob knows she has you over a barrel re cleaners availability where you live

kissmethere Tue 20-Sep-16 14:08:53

That sounds like a lot todo in 2 hours. However what she did so was crap so find someone else.

Kr1stina Tue 20-Sep-16 14:12:30

If you want someone reliable who does a good job, you need to pay well and treat them fairly .

You won't get an excellent reliable cleaner at a bargain basement price. Good cleaners can afford to be fussy about where they work ( as they should be ) .

tofutti Tue 20-Sep-16 14:13:29

I live in a London suburb and a decent agency near me charges £11ph. Crazy that the agency near you charge £17ph!

YANBU, I wouldn't have her back.

tofutti Tue 20-Sep-16 14:15:06

Kr1stina - I don't think what the OP paid (£24 for 2 hours) is a 'bargain basement price' confused

AmeliaJack Tue 20-Sep-16 14:19:42

Toddler would your boss allow you to be reading a magazine instead of working?

Put your big girl pants on and give notice.

CleanerBlues Tue 20-Sep-16 14:23:08

Is £12 per hour not a fair price then? I don't live anywhere near London or a big city like that. The independant cleaners in my area start at £9 p/h but I decided to go with someone a little more expensive thinking that better paid means they are more likely to do a good job, plus she had good references.

I honestly don't think that what I asked her was too much to do in 2 hours, when I get a clear run at it myself I can do it in just over 1hr. And I wouldn't have minded so much if she had said that the amount of work would take her longer, but I don't think that's a good excuse for doing an overall shit job either.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see if she rings back.

Purplebluebird Tue 20-Sep-16 14:29:10

I did cleaning (to a high standard, I have ocd about this, genuinely) and got paid £10 p.h, but also did this through an agency. I don't know how much they charged. I tried to get a cleaning job out of agency, handed out leaflets in doors etc, but nobody got back to me!

RiceCrispieTreats Tue 20-Sep-16 14:36:52

YANBU.

It's very hard to fire anyone, especially in the personal realm, but you are completely entitled to end a business relation that isn't working out for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now