To put my DC in nursery full time?

(23 Posts)
PikaPikaPikachu Tue 20-Sep-16 11:12:37

I have 2 DC, first in school, second just started nursery. I'm a SAHM and DH works a fair bit. DC2 just started nursery 5 mornings a week as now 3. I have the option to pay for her to go the full day.

I'm struggling with food shopping etc as in mornings I only have a few hours before picking DC up from nursery. Then have to give DC lunch which takes forever, then again only few hours before back for school run.
AIBU to put DC in nursery one day a week full time so I have a full day to run errands etc? DC loves nursery and is fairy confident and advanced with speech etc?

Feel like I shouldn't push DC but on other hand I could do with more time to get things straight.
WWYD?

Solasum Tue 20-Sep-16 11:13:46

Why would you not?

Sparklesilverglitter Tue 20-Sep-16 11:14:56

1 day a week full time, well what's wrong with that. You get a whole day to do your bits and bobs in peace and the child gets to be with friends everybody wins

budgiegirl Tue 20-Sep-16 11:15:21

Personally, I didn't, my DC only ever went to nursery for half days. But if it suits you, and your DC2 enjoys it, then why not? Especially if it's just one day a week.

Frazzled2207 Tue 20-Sep-16 11:16:13

1 full day a week plus mornings the rest of the week? Sounds very sensible to me smile

NapQueen Tue 20-Sep-16 11:16:51

Course it's fine! When dc2 starts nursery next year I'd do the same as half days are a pita.

If they gave us the option of any five sessions I'd pick 2 full days and one half. It's so frustrating having to do 3 or 4 drops/collects a day.

Doublejeopardy Tue 20-Sep-16 11:17:40

Sounds perfect if you plan the day well the rest of the week is so much easier. IMO
I only work 4 days a week both kids are in school and i now have a cleaner every week as well - i am sooo much calmer!

dustarr73 Tue 20-Sep-16 11:18:25

No you need that time to do your errands.I wish mine would have had that option.

mumhum Tue 20-Sep-16 11:18:59

Go right ahead, makes for a happier mummy and a happier child.

Banderchang Tue 20-Sep-16 11:19:12

So your title is misleading: you don't want to put DC in nursery full time, you want to do 1 full day per week and then mornings.

If your DC likes nursery, then why not. OTOH, I'd just get an online shop delivered at a more convenient time rather than put DC in nursery just to go round the supermarket.

Babyroobs Tue 20-Sep-16 11:21:58

If you can afford it then do whatever you wish.

WhateverWillBe Tue 20-Sep-16 11:31:13

I probably wouldn't yet tbh...i'd give it a month or two and let them get used to the half days first.

Then i'd increase to one full day and choose the full day carefully - maybe a Friday, so they have the weekend to 'recover'? Mine were always wiped out by nursery, even the half days.

DramaAlpaca Tue 20-Sep-16 11:32:53

Sounds like a win-win situation to me. You will really value that free day.

MidnightRunner87 Tue 20-Sep-16 11:34:15

Both my children went to nursery for 2 full and one half day from the start. I was glad I had that option, the half day was a royal pain in the arse tbh

MrsMook Tue 20-Sep-16 11:42:23

DS is in nursery 2.5 days. I pay wrap around for a full day as it means that DH can drop off on his way to work, and I can walk DS to school in the opposite direction.

It works for us as I have better management of my days rather than going to school every couple of hours. He's in nursery already should I increase my working hours. It's also good preparation for school days. When DS1 started at school, he handled it well as he was already used to 3x 8-6 days around my job.

I'd also find that if every day was a half day, many of them would be unproductive as nursery would tire him sufficiently to nap off on the way to doing something.

Natsku Tue 20-Sep-16 11:47:50

Why the hell not? He's likes it, you get more time to get things done, everyone's a winner. Mine goes to daycare full time even though I only work two days a week because it has done wonders for her social and emotional development.

Batteriesallgone Tue 20-Sep-16 11:54:21

If you can afford this why are you going to the shops and not doing online shopping?

Anyway...no one can tell you what is too much or not for your DC. I have friends who had DCs in full time nursery 5 days a week from 6m. Know other SAHMs who used no childcare at all until child started school. Different strokes and all that.

dustarr73 Tue 20-Sep-16 11:58:33

If you can afford this why are you going to the shops and not doing online shopping?

Not everyone likes online shopping.Te substitutions and waiting in for them.Maybe she likes picking her own food.

Diddlydokey Tue 20-Sep-16 12:03:09

I don't really understand it. As a full time worker 15 hours a week on your own sounds like a crazy amount of time to do stuff like food shopping.

Having said that I can't see that it would harm anyone

abigamarone Tue 20-Sep-16 12:05:19

I used to have mine in nursery two full days a week. One I worked, the other I sometimes did a bit of overtime, but more often just got on with doing my own thing (which never involved food shopping).

gratesnakes Tue 20-Sep-16 12:09:31

Do it.

PikaPikaPikachu Tue 20-Sep-16 12:11:54

I might give it a try. DC came home asking to stay for lunch so why not?

I hate online shopping. I like to pick things that look nice and I can't always do this online. Might try it in a few weeks.

Thanks MN

MrsJoeyMaynard Tue 20-Sep-16 12:23:09

Sounds fine to me.

I had DS1 in nursery for 3 full days a week rather than half days. Doing the same with DS2.

It worked well for us. His nursery days were long enough for me to get stuck into stuff without having to rush around, and also having the full days off nursery in the week meant that I could do more with DS1 when he wasn't at nursery. E.g. all day trips to the park / beach / child friendly museum, or even just having a trip to the library where I wasn't having to keep an eye on the clock or deal with a child who's too tired to enjoy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now