People wanting to come to stay when trying to sell house

(8 Posts)
clairepenguin Mon 19-Sep-16 21:54:56

Our house is going on the market this week. We live in a 3 bedroom house and have 3 kids. We're moving because space is tight. I'm already quite stressed about keeping it tidy for viewings.
It's tricky at the best of times to have visitors sleep over but my husband would like his friend and his family (2 adults and 2 young kids) to come to stay for the weekend next week. I could really do without the extra stress and clutter. He says I'm being a spoil sport and doesn't want to upset his friend. What would you do?

user1470547459 Mon 19-Sep-16 21:56:44

If you don't have any viewings then it probably won't be a problem.

Dragongirl10 Mon 19-Sep-16 21:58:05

Say no! your DH is being rediculous he should know that you need to try and keep the house pristine for viewings.

Tekll him if he wants to sell it requires a lot of housework and visitors is just not an option.

Good luck with your sale..

bigbadbarry Mon 19-Sep-16 21:59:00

What if it takes 18 months to sell, will nobody ever be allowed to visit?

Pigeonpost Mon 19-Sep-16 22:00:43

You don't need to keep it pristine for viewings! What bollocks. Just make sure your friends keep stuff tidy, they'll understand. You cannot put your life on hold. Buyers aren't going to be buying your stuff.

Fairyknowe Mon 19-Sep-16 22:13:28

It's expected to sell within a couple of weeks as that's what's happening around here. We have an offer on another house subject to selling this one so the pressure is on a bit. I don't think showing people around with another 4 people's worth of holiday stuff lying around would add any appeal.

Oysterbabe Tue 20-Sep-16 07:38:21

It's only one weekend, I'd just suck it up. It might take a while to sell and you can't just put your life on hold.

Diamogs Tue 20-Sep-16 07:46:27

I work for an EA - I'm not one just a PA before I get shot down in flames.

I would say no, so many people cannot see beyond clutter etc - if a house has stuff out then they think it is small.

Tell him they can't come in the first month (when, if you are priced correctly) you should be flooded with offers) - once you have a sale agreed then it's not important to be viewings ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now