to get a copper coil

(13 Posts)
lemonzest123 Mon 19-Sep-16 19:47:23

Hello!

I'm thinking of getting a copper coil for an embarrassingly shallow reason blush

Due to huge recent upheaval in my personal life I ran out of my pill and haven't got more yet. I've been off it about 3 weeks (first time being birth control free for 13 years) and
...er....my boobs have grown?!

Def not pg as I've taken several tests and all are negitive.

For reference, I have always had AA boobs, if that, and its something I've always been really insecure about. I have a very skinny frame but now, even though I'm losing weight through stress, I might even be an A cup blush Sassy!

So, will I get laughed out the doctors surgery for saying this is why I want a cooper coil?? Is it even a valid reason blush

Also, as an aside to anyone that has one, did it hurt going in? My friend had a hormone coil and had to have it removed in a few days as she was in so much pain and bleeding so much!

Alsoso, has anyone ever had a LLETZ procedure with a coil? Did they take it out? Just thinking it's electricity??

Thanks lovely MN smile

M0nstersinthecl0set Mon 19-Sep-16 19:49:16

I had it. It did make my periods a bit heavier and a bit more painful. A bit. Not heaps. For me that was a good option as the pill and the mood swings I got were horrid.

M0nstersinthecl0set Mon 19-Sep-16 19:51:25

Oh. It didn't hurt as a procedure (not comfy, but not pain). Though i did faint afterwards (not all that uncommon a reaction apparently). I was fine. Sat down. Drank a coffee. Drove home after a bit. Fairly low key experience wise!

GreenRut Mon 19-Sep-16 19:53:14

I got one. It hurt. A lot. My periods are also now double the length and my pmt double the intensity. It suits me as had problems with the pill and wanted a zero hormone alternative. I'm not sure it's any of a doctor's business why you want it? Your body, your choice.

Catsick36 Mon 19-Sep-16 19:54:06

I've had a T safe coil for years. Very comfortable no problems. Take an ibuprofen half hour before it's a bit uncomfortable on the way in. The T safe is a physical barrier rather than releasing hormones so I prefer it.

Scroobius Mon 19-Sep-16 19:54:43

I have mine for similar reasons, no artificial hormones to make acne flare up. Dr didn't really need a reason just wanted to know I knew all the information. Didn't hurt so much as just very uncomfortable but I got the impression it can. My periods last the same amount of time but I now get cramps which I haven't had since I was a teenager (not bad though).

Strokethefurrywall Mon 19-Sep-16 19:59:18

Yep, I've got Nova-T - had it inserted about 6 months ago now. Pretty uncomfortable to have it fitted and that was by my OBGYN. Just felt very "pinchy" but once it was in it was fine. I could feel a foreign body inside me for a couple of days but that faded as my body got used to it.

I used to have horrendous ovulation pain, bloating and discomfort mid-cycle and the coil has stopped that completely. My periods were always a bit heavy and around 5 days, now they're slightly heavier and I spot for a few days beforehand. No more painful though, I can't say I've even noticed which I'm very pleased about.

Best thing I've done.

positivity123 Mon 19-Sep-16 20:03:25

I loved mine. I'd had so many issues with hormones it was great to have something that didn't contain them. It hurt on the way in and I had achey like period pains for about 24 hours. My periods were a bit heavier for the 12 months or so but they then settled down. I'd go for it but remember to practice safe sex if you don't have a regular partner as you don't want to get a STD with one.

roseteapot101 Mon 19-Sep-16 20:06:51

just tell them that your worried one of these days you forgot to take the pill and want something more reliable no shame in that

its uncomfortable to get but the discomfort short lasting

i am really unsure about mine ,seemed fine no problems for a year.But now i have continual spotting between periods.I have not stopped wearing pad's since july the doctor said the coil fine were it is but i am not so sure =/

ffon Mon 19-Sep-16 20:08:20

No pain going in for me.
Several months of heavy and longer periods with several long bouts of almost continual spotting but all is hunky dory now.

lemonzest123 Mon 19-Sep-16 20:11:25

Thing is on my pill I get no periods at all. Its a toss up between periods and slightly larger boobs!

AnnaleeP Mon 19-Sep-16 20:33:25

I have a coil, hurt a bit going in but no problems since. Not had any effect on my periods at all once it settled. It's no one's business why you want it really, lots of people don't get on with hormonal contraception so it's not an unusual request. I'd go to a family planning clinic to get it done though, as they will have done a lot of them and know what they're doing.

lemonzest123 Mon 19-Sep-16 21:26:43

Good thinking. I'll just need to check about LLETZ and coil as I don't want to be electrocuted blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now