To ask you all for honest opinions

(19 Posts)
Ozwizard Mon 19-Sep-16 19:25:23

I have recently come across some information regarding myself as a toddler from years ago. Obviously I am a grown adult now but this has left me confused and questions that keep going around in my head. I saw my medical notes and there was an entry that said genital warts, anal. I'm trying to understand, work out how this could be possible without it leading me back to one horrible answer!

Itsmine Mon 19-Sep-16 19:32:25

Someone could have had a cold sore, not washed their hands and changed your nappy therefore passing on the hsv virus? I'm no expert but it seems possible.

JellyBelli Mon 19-Sep-16 19:35:41

I think you need to talk to your GP and go from there. If you have no other susspicions or concerns, you can choose to believe it was an accidental transmission via someones hands when they were wiping you.

george1020 Mon 19-Sep-16 19:36:12

When you saw your medical history were you with your dr? Could you not ring your dr or book an appointment to discuss it?
I imagine it is as itsmine says and cold sore and poor hygiene but worth a chat to your dr for sure!

Ozwizard Mon 19-Sep-16 19:43:33

I do have other suspicions and concerns. But I'm frightened of where this may lead to. My childhood was very abusive physically and this is why I have my suspicions.

BrightOranges Mon 19-Sep-16 19:43:59

Well I think you should speak with your GP.

It is either innocent from someone with the virus changing you or perhaps you had a wart and spread it yourself. Or there was sexual abuse.

I do hope it is all innocent and wish you the best.

44PumpLane Mon 19-Sep-16 19:51:59

I would definitely advise you to book an appointment with your GP- but given the subject matter could be sensitive and lead you to need to talk at length I would advise you to request a double or triple appointment. It may take longer to get but will mean you don't feel hurried out of the room whilst asking some very sensitive questions.

Ozwizard Mon 19-Sep-16 19:53:22

My other concern is that after that entry, I seemed to have not seen any medical professionals for the next ten years.

youarenotkiddingme Mon 19-Sep-16 19:56:55

There is no easy answer to this. If you ask you may find out something you don't want to but if you don't ask you risk being eaten away at by questions.

Do you think you can move forward from here with the information not knowing?

If the answers no then I agree with above poster who said ask for a longer appointment with GP. I'd also suggest taking a close friend who you'd trust with personal information to come along for support.

flowers

Ozwizard Mon 19-Sep-16 20:06:07

Questions have been running around in my head, do I want to know, don't want, could it be a reasonable explanation or a sinister one. I can't move forward, I'm stuck. Then I bury my head in the sand and pretend the questions will go away

mygorgeousmilo Mon 19-Sep-16 20:11:43

Request a full appointment with GP and specify that it's to discuss medical records, they give you quite a chunk of time. There's no right way to answer, but I think that if you don't look into it, you'll have no chance of moving past it. Really wishing you the best, I hope you get some kind of resolution, I really do flowers

Ozwizard Mon 19-Sep-16 20:13:28

I will make the appointment.

rhiaaaaaaaannon Mon 19-Sep-16 20:13:45

Sorry op, sounds like a really stressful time sad
Personally I would rather know the details than let my imagination run wild. Do you trust your gp? Could you mske an appointment to discuss it?

Genital warts can be transmitted during the Birth and whilst having contact, nappy changing etc. It should have been followed up, though.

Depending on the time period, this might not have happened for a variety of reasons. The place to start is your GP, explain that you want an appointment to discuss your medical records.

Smrendell Mon 19-Sep-16 20:18:23

Someone could have had a cold sore, not washed their hands and changed your nappy therefore passing on the hsv virus?

HSV and cold sores aren't genital warts. That's herpes.

Ozwizard Mon 19-Sep-16 20:26:31

How would the passing on of a cold sore end up as anal warts? My initial thought was an std!

fastdaytears Mon 19-Sep-16 20:31:55

Cold sores and herpes are the same virus.

Genital warts is different but there would be "innocent" ways to transmit. Definitely see your GP.

Ozwizard Mon 19-Sep-16 20:38:51

Birdsgottafly, could you elaborate on it should have been followed up?

BrightOranges Mon 19-Sep-16 21:34:48

When kids get genital warts, it could be a sign of sexual abuse, and parents should be aware of that possibility. However, HPV can also be transmitted through nonsexual contact between a child and a caregiver — for instance, while giving a child a bath or changing a nappy. Kids also can reinfect themselves by touching a wart somewhere else on their body and then touching their genital area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now