To think he will have to pay for it himself now

(12 Posts)
Thefishewife Mon 19-Sep-16 18:44:08

Ds has just started collage he has a job as well that pays £400pm

At the very outset we decided as we feel we should every thing to do with collage we would pay for travel , lunch Ect equipment

It's costing us £199 for train ticket for a short term haven't got to how much the longer terms will cost us yet brought ds a key chain and a wallet that zips the whole way round as he's a bit laysayfair about looking after things

He's only fucking gone and lost his train pass and the up shot is we can't afford to replace it we told him this when it was purchased two weeks ago that he would really need to take care of it and that he would have to replace it

Tbh I don't even think he was listening

We have already spent nearly £250 on his safety stuff for collage on Saturday plus the travel ticket and topped up his lunch card just can't spend another £200 that would mean we would have spent almost £800 in a month in one member or our family nearly half of dh wage there are 5 of us were so broke at the moment I have £20 in purse 😕

Went to pick him up and I was expecting him to be looking sheepish and apologetic instead he was trying not to laugh he thinks it's well funny I am furious

So me and dh not lightly mind have decided he will have to replace the travel card he gets paid next week

We will get him a weekly @£50 no frigging less and he will then have to pay us back for the weekly and replace the termly ticket

One would imagine he will be a lot less caviler when he's paying

It's not even been a month

Aibu I am so cross with him he thinks it's a bit fucking joke and that I am being tight he said £200 is not that much well we shall see when he has to bloody pay for it

NapQueen Mon 19-Sep-16 18:46:25

I agree - he ought to pay for the replacement.

Why are you paying for the weekly one?

Thefishewife Mon 19-Sep-16 18:47:35

Because he's only just started the job and is not getting paid until next week

He needs to get to collage still

Pilgit Mon 19-Sep-16 18:51:05

If he's lost it and it was tied to a photocard most train companies in the UK will replace it (sometimes for a small fee). Worth asking at a ticket office. I've had mine stolen twice and as it's tied to a photo card they'll replace.

In general though I agree - he lost it, he pays. You are not made of money and his attitude isn't great.

PinkSquash Mon 19-Sep-16 18:51:18

Has he reported it to a local ticket office as it may be handed in- the photo card can help identify him.

If it's a monthly season ticket he can get a replacement with an admin fee of £10, obviously he would need a new photocard to go with it.

Dustpan Mon 19-Sep-16 18:51:19

I think you are right to make him pay for it amd hopefully he will learn a valuable lesson which will stand him in good stead for life!

PinkSquash Mon 19-Sep-16 18:52:07

But he can only get one replacement season ticket in a 12 month period.

Thefishewife Mon 19-Sep-16 18:55:41

Thanks he can wake up early and sort that out and the train sation and he can owe us whatever the fee amounts to

I really can't wait until he starts paying for things he really thinks money is just easy to come by also he's only just started his job so it's a laugh

But he hasn't had shifts when he feels shit or not well or had a bad day lets see if he thinks it's so easy to come by then

ivykaty44 Mon 19-Sep-16 18:57:00

At 16 he is surely perfectly capable of buying his own train tickets, if he then loses it that's his issue not yours.

I would take a step back and let him see if he can get a replacement for a fee or let him borrow money to replace ticket until he gets paid.

PinkSquash Mon 19-Sep-16 18:59:02

He will need a passport sized photo and if you have the receipt for the season ticket that will be handy too. He should be paying the admin fee himself and making sure he deals with it all as an adult.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 19-Sep-16 19:01:03

Yanbu

You paid for it initially but if he lost it it's his problem and he needs to fix it himself. His bad attitude would make me unlikely to want to pay at all in future tbh

expatinscotland Mon 19-Sep-16 19:02:16

He needs to see if it's been handed in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now