Sharing toiletries with friends

(18 Posts)
user1473106504 Sun 18-Sep-16 19:16:14

Every time my friend stays over she uses my roll on deodorant, I have told her after catching her that I don't like it. She has also used my make up before which I also don't like.
She also uses LOADS of my hair products when she wears a wig, It's annoying I had a whole bottle of serum now its nearly gone from her being here for 48 hours
I have told her and she says I am OCD would you be okay with this?

Champagneformyrealfriends Sun 18-Sep-16 19:18:53

Just don't invite her. Some people take a "what's yours is ours" attitude.

imnervous Sun 18-Sep-16 19:18:53

I'd go nuts if someone used my roll on deodorant confused

WamBamThankYouMaam Sun 18-Sep-16 19:20:51

No, I wouldn't be OK with it. Shampoo and stuff, fine. Personal products, no.

user1473106504 Sun 18-Sep-16 19:22:35

imnervous I did, the thing is I only caught her recently so I suspect she used it before but I did not even know, absolutely gross the thought of it

Narnian Sun 18-Sep-16 19:24:29

Ugh. No I wouldn't be happy with that because it's:
a. Unhygienic
b. Taking the piss.

I don't think I'd invite her to stay again.

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Sun 18-Sep-16 19:25:20

Fill an empty roll on with pva glue....

hollieberrie Sun 18-Sep-16 19:26:03

I share roll on with my friends whem we go on holiday. Also family members. I don't think it's weird or gross. Using up loads of your hair products is cheeky though.

MrsGsnow18 Sun 18-Sep-16 19:26:21

If she is a close friend and you want her to continue staying over sometimes. But her a roll on deodorant for your house and hide all the rest of the products you don't want her to use!
Since you've told her it's not okay, if she was a good friend she should really respect that.
Everyone has different boundaries I guess. I'd prob share a roll on with my sister if pushed to it! But someone using mine without asking is a bit invasive in my opinion!

justilou Sun 18-Sep-16 19:59:27

Tell her you have a communicable skin disease... herpes and scabies are a good place to start.

littleprincesssara Sun 18-Sep-16 21:07:33

It's taking the piss and weird unless you're very close and have an agreement.

My bff and I never bring toiletries when we stay over (apart from toothbrush) since we have an agreement to use each other's. But that's with agreement!

SeaFlute Mon 19-Sep-16 08:22:00

YANBU but is she particularly forgetful? Maybe she forgets to pack her own or is travelling by train so wants to travel light.

One of my friends is like this so I keep my toiletries in my ensuite/bedroom and put a guest basket in the family bathroom. Doesn't cost much to provide a mini deodorant, some cheap hair products, toothbrush, shower gel etc.

CwtchMeQuick Mon 19-Sep-16 08:28:20

Wouldn't bother me at all but it does bother you and your friend should respect that

anyname123 Mon 19-Sep-16 08:32:23

Buy her some spares to keep at yours. Shame to lose a friendship over something like this. I personally love using my mates stuff, as they do mine, it's like having a try before you buy

FurryLittleTwerp Mon 19-Sep-16 08:56:26

I'd get some spares for her - not the expensive stuff obviously!

I'd hate this - I stayed at a friend's recently & realised I'd forgotten my roll-on so I asked her if she had one I could use rather than helping myself.

thoughtsaslongascigarettes Mon 19-Sep-16 09:02:11

I wouldn't care about the sharing. I would care about her using up lots of my hair stuff/ make up

I think it oversteps the mark. I have a basket of guest toiletries in the bathroom, spray on deodorant, shower gel,shampoo etc for emergencies (home bargains) and keep a couple of cheap new spare tooth brushes in the cabinet. But I wouldn't want people using my personal stuff.
Maybe you could get some cheap stuff in for her to use?

WeirdAndPissedOff Mon 19-Sep-16 17:22:37

YANBU - it's cheeky for one if she's using your stuff without asking. (Though I may be biased as this is a bit of a sore point for me).
But I definitely wouldn't be happy if someone was pinching roll-ons or things that have direct contact. (Shavers, etc).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now