To think that you don't send your toddler to nursery in his best clothes

(35 Posts)
MariaCameFromNashville Sun 18-Sep-16 13:41:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sprinklestar Sun 18-Sep-16 13:44:00

Your SIL sounds deranged. Of course you don't send your kids to nursery in decent stuff. It will be covered in paint in 5 minutes. How embarrassing that she's trying to complain. Cringe!

WatchingFromTheWings Sun 18-Sep-16 13:44:40

YANBU. They play on the floor, use paints etc.....only ever sent mine in cheap/old clothes. Never best! It's not up to the nursery to replace damaged clothing.

Artandco Sun 18-Sep-16 13:47:03

I sent mine in decent stuff as that's what they had. Didn't care if anything was ruined though.

TheHauntedFishtank Sun 18-Sep-16 13:47:54

DS is in childcare full time and doesn't have 'best' clothes really. I do get him stuff from next as I find it washes better but I have no problem if he gets mucky or covered in paint because that's what kids do! Your SIL is being daft I think, you can't expect a 2yo to keep clothes in perfect condition regardless of who is looking after them.

Cheby Sun 18-Sep-16 13:50:39

DD goes in supermarket clothes or handmedowns to nursery, she comes home covered in paint and food and god knows what. She has a fantastic time though. I'd never complain about her clothes getting dirty or damaged, it's just what happens.

I guess I might be slightly concerned about a child getting clothes caught in a door as there may be the potential for fingers to get caught as well. But I certainly wouldn't ask them to replace the coat.

PuntasticUsername Sun 18-Sep-16 13:51:15

SIL is making an absolute idiot of herself.

SocksRock Sun 18-Sep-16 13:52:13

She sounds very odd. If you care about clothes, don't send them to nursery!

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sun 18-Sep-16 13:52:45

I once had a 3 year old sent in wearing a white fur coat in the middle of winter. Outside playtime was fun :/

JenLindleyShitMom Sun 18-Sep-16 13:55:05

Well some kids only have one coat. It may happen to be a good coat, or it may be a cheap one but of it gets torn at nursery the child now has no coat because of something that happened at nursery under their supervision. Should they replace that coat but not another child's coat because the other child has more?

bloodyteenagers Sun 18-Sep-16 13:56:14

Is this her first? I was like this with my first, I know, I know. I soon had a word with myself though and started sending him in clothes I didn't care about. Saved the decent stuff for the right times.

MariaCameFromNashville Sun 18-Sep-16 13:56:20

JenLindleyShitMom Sun 18-Sep-16 13:57:02

And tbh it sounds like you're just after validation for your bitchy feelings about your SIL. You don't even know what's happening about it.

MariaCameFromNashville Sun 18-Sep-16 14:01:28

JenLindleyShitMom Sun 18-Sep-16 14:04:03

Should be retitled, "join me in bitching about this person you don't know but that I hate so will phrase my post in a way that will influence your response in my favour" grin

MariaCameFromNashville Sun 18-Sep-16 14:04:49

SaggyNaggy Sun 18-Sep-16 14:12:46

Even if OP does hate SIL it doesn't stop SIL actions being fucking stupid Does it?

SIL sounds beyond mental. When DD went to Nursery we went to the local charity shops and got everything we could find in her sizes. Even things that we didn't really like. It didn't matter, it was to be ruined. smile

ToxicLadybird Sun 18-Sep-16 14:17:27

Why do people expect clothes to be ruined at nursery? Surely that will only happen if the children aren't being supervised properly.

My DS has been going to nursery for 3 years, doing all the usual nursery stuff, and his clothes have never been any worse for wear than if he'd been at home.

Artandco Sun 18-Sep-16 14:19:22

And agree, mine never ruined anything at nursery. What is there to? Paint and glue is washable Type and they wear aprons for most, mud washes out like it would if we took them to the park, and food washes out

ayeokthen Sun 18-Sep-16 14:21:41

DD 3 and DS 2 go to nursery in uniform. Polo shirts (not light colours I learned that lesson quickly!) and either joggies and a sweatshirt for him and black leggings and a cardi for her and uniform waterproof jackets too. I'm not precious about things getting mucky because that's what happens at nursery.

Ragwort Sun 18-Sep-16 14:25:08

Why do people expect clothes to be ruined at nursery? Surely that will only happen if the children aren't being supervised properly.

Children are, rightly, encouraged to play freely & independently at nursery/playgroups etc - often this means that they can access the outside area, crafts, paints, drinks, snacks etc as and when they wish. Of course the staff can't supervise every child every minute of the day. The days of fully prescribed activities at nurseries are long gone.

I used to be on a playgroup committee and this sort of thing came up regularly - even from one of our committee members when her own child's clothing was damaged. We spelt it out in our leaflets - only send your child to playschool in old, washable non precious clothing.

Some people do like to dress their children up though. grin.

PerryHatter Sun 18-Sep-16 14:25:30

Mine went in decent clothes but like artandco, I didn't care if they were wrecked.
If my child came home with food stains or paint stains, it came out of the decent clothes and they looked fine whereas the cheap stuff seemed to hold the stains?

The coat incident could've happened anywhere though if her DS did it.

SquedgieBeckenheim Sun 18-Sep-16 14:27:28

When DD started nursery I purposely went out and bought a pack of cheap tshirts and cheap joggers. These have become her nursery wardrobe so I don't care how stained they get. She still wears them to nursery once they are stained! Nursery provide puddle suits to wear in the garden there.
If something did get wrecked, I wouldn't complain.

LouBlue1507 Sun 18-Sep-16 14:28:11

JenLindleyShitMom Seems like you have a chip on your shoulder hmm
OP your SIL sounds a bit bonkers and OTT!

youarenotkiddingme Sun 18-Sep-16 14:40:57

If also don't subscribe to the expectation a child's clothes will get ruined because it's nursery.

I do however subscribe to they will get dirty, stained and possibly torn because they are children!

My DS would be no worse for wear at nursery than home.

He did have a 'nicer' coat for family visits, supermarket, going out etc. And he had a waterproof cheapy for nursery. But the waterproof cheapy was also for when we did the park, woods, pond etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now