to be sick of bloody Tesco vans

(20 Posts)
GladAllOver Sun 18-Sep-16 10:30:39

I live in a fairly quiet cul de sac. Due to the layout, delivery vans have to manoeuvre about to get out or even reverse all the way, so they have the safety beepers going. That's not generally a problem.

Over the past couple of years several people have signed up for supermarket deliveries. The Tesco vans have that loud harsh klaxon sound. It really gets on my nerves when it goes off right under my windows.

I'm sure that Tesco use that invasive noise because it's different from every other delivery and acts as an advertisement for their company.

AIBU to be pissed off with them?

PollyPerky Sun 18-Sep-16 10:44:03

Oh dear.

Maybe you should move out of your cul de sac into the middle of a field somewhere so you won't be bothered by those nasty Tesco vans.

Or start a petition to ban vans that have a loud reversing signal (which is a safety device in case you didn't know.)

miserablesod Sun 18-Sep-16 10:46:08

Send a note round to all your neighbours and ban them from home deliveries. How very dare they grin

youredeadtomesteven Sun 18-Sep-16 10:50:12

The only thing you can do is get over it, and hope that Tesco's prices rise so that your neighbours have to resort to getting their food from the shops themselves.

GladAllOver Sun 18-Sep-16 10:50:52

Polly, read my post again. I did say it was a safety device.
I have no problem with the usual beepers - it's just that harsh klaxon late in the evening.

cakeforksareleftist Sun 18-Sep-16 10:51:09

I'm with you OP. Unless you've heard their awful reversing klaxons late at night, you wouldn't understand.

One of them scraped down the side of my car. Because he wouldn't admit it, Tesco did nothing.

I obviously can't comment on all of the drivers, but the two that deliver to this road are truly dreadful. Another car was hit last week, luckily more than one person saw it happen.

chemenger Sun 18-Sep-16 10:51:10

If you bothered to read the op you would see that they don't have any objections to the safety beeps from other vehicles but they feel the Tesco vans use an unnecessarily loud noise. Presumably Tesco drivers are unusually careless so pedestrians need more warning.

chemenger Sun 18-Sep-16 10:52:29

Obviously I was replying to the first two responses.

PollyPerky Sun 18-Sep-16 11:10:57

Buy a pair of earplugs OP

Or move out of a cul de sac.

Or email Dave Lewis and demand he buys new vans that have a reversing sound you can cope with.

First world problems, eh?

wasonthelist Sun 18-Sep-16 11:24:29

Those bleepers are bloody irritating - I suppose they are supposed to be. They are building new houses nearby so they are going all day long on the earthmoving plant so I sympathise but since they seem to be a legal requirement now that everything that happens has to be someone elses fault I guess we're stuck with them.

IcedVanillaLatte Sun 18-Sep-16 11:31:44

It's better than "THIS VEHICLE IS REVERSING" at top volume.

miserablesod Sun 18-Sep-16 11:49:29

I did read the op i made a light hearted comment, i don't need to re-read the op smile

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Sun 18-Sep-16 12:05:14

I bet you complain when people take their children to the supermarkets instead of getting home deliveries as well.

Maybe move to the moon?

TaterTots Sun 18-Sep-16 12:27:02

Maybe if you moved to a more affluent area everyone would get their shopping from Ocado instead and you would get some peace. Try that.

HermioneJeanGranger Sun 18-Sep-16 12:30:03

Eh, they're supposed to be loud, but I can see it would be annoying if it happened all the time.

Not sure what you can do about it though!

GladAllOver Sun 18-Sep-16 12:34:38

Nice idea Tater but this is as much as we can afford.

NDN has Sainsbury deliveries and they are fine - just a beep when reversing.

OurBlanche Sun 18-Sep-16 12:38:04

We don't have the reversing noise problem but the side shutters are bloody scary!

We know it's Tesco when the windows shake, the earth rumbles and something goes bang! If we look out we see Tesco driver rattling the shutters, dragging out a HUGE tray, picking out a small bag and slamming the shutter closed.

No other delivery sounds the same. The woman who gets the deliveries (she is the only one here who does) lives alone, so her deliveries are always pretty small. Her house is in a walled complex, so all the vans stop outside us and deliver. I have no problem with any of that, it is what it is. But the Tesco van is just scarily loud - and is the only one that delivers at about 11pm!

acasualobserver Sun 18-Sep-16 12:39:08

Write to Tesco and see what they say. Point out that other supermarkets have less noisy delivery vans.

WorraLiberty Sun 18-Sep-16 12:42:03

Sounds a bit annoying I suppose

But realistically, how many vans per day are you talking about?

Discobabe Sun 18-Sep-16 12:54:09

I haven't noticed the Tesco vans are particularly noisy. Lots of vehicles have the same reversing noise/signal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now