To ignore DH who has manflu..

(23 Posts)
SusanneLinder Sat 17-Sep-16 23:58:55

Seriously, he is doing my effin head in. Whinging, whining, and acting like a damn toddler.
This man has survived serious illnesses such as cancer,and didn't complain once, bless him. Obviously as a family , we were worried sick and supported him through it, and luckily he survived.
But the way he is going on, you'd think he was ready to depart the earth. I dont have young kids so its not like I have to look after kids as well as him. I have fed him, watered him, gave him pills, now sat on sofa with a large glass of wine, while he's sweating over my clean bedding.
Seriously thinking about going to a hotel till he's better..grin

HicDraconis Sun 18-Sep-16 00:31:18

YANBU. I nursed my DH through his recent cold (ok, it turned into a chest infection but it started out as a cold!) - while working full time & looking after the children.

The bugger has now given it to me 😡 I'm fully expecting him to return the nursing favours! (Which to be fair he has done so far, I've been parked on the sofa with tea, paracetamol and told to rest).

Nuggy2013 Sun 18-Sep-16 00:45:47

YANBU. Go to the hotel, you can't afford to catch man flu. It's the safest option all round grin

dodobookends Sun 18-Sep-16 00:57:04

If it's anything like the womanflu bug I've had for the best part of a fortnight then he has my sympathy, it's horrible. Shivers, hot & cold sweats, faintness, palpitations, incredibly tired but can't sleep properly, racing pulse, legs as weak as water, pounding headache, catarrh, sinuses blocked, ugh. I was flat out for days, horrible.

dodobookends Sun 18-Sep-16 00:57:58

There seems to be a version of flu going round these parts that takes the legs out from under you - weird.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Sun 18-Sep-16 01:04:23

You are a lot nicer than me. I don't give the pills the food or the water. If he's too sick to get them himself he should be in an ambulance. If he's sick he goes to bed and keeps the germs the fuck away from the rest of us. He applies this rule to me too. It is a good rule.

FarAwayHills Sun 18-Sep-16 01:18:15

YANBU they are more needy and exhausting than any sick child.

AGBforever Sun 18-Sep-16 04:19:56

tbf there is a pretty nasty bug going round (too early for DM style norovirus?) but my usually invincible DM has been in bed for a week so maybe its a bit shit.. (yes it was my kids spreading it initially)

Whereismumhiding2 Sun 18-Sep-16 04:35:02

He has Manflu? shock That can kill... Or at least feel like it can kill... It's very serious.. You can't go to a hotel, you might come back to a dead body.. And more importantly, dirty dishes & used tissues left lying around the place. Ewwww

Put on your best nurse's apron , deliver those soups, paracetomol, water top ups, empty that over flowing tissue bin, smile sweetly between gritted teeth, catch up on that Netflix series you've been dying to watch but OH usually hogs the TV, chivvy him back to bed if he gets up, and most of all EXPECT (and demand!) the same treatment back when you are ill. wink

Aeroflotgirl Sun 18-Sep-16 05:02:29

Gosh some of you have had an empathy bypass! What if you had flu, you would probably expect your man to look after you, yet you woukd not your man!

justilou Sun 18-Sep-16 07:30:43

Have you seen this?

youtu.be/VbmbMSrsZVQ

SusanneLinder Sun 18-Sep-16 10:40:18

I do look after him when he is really ill, and he has been really ill. But am not buying into the toddler whinging because he has a cold. grinAm going out today with DD and ignoring him. He is perfectly capable of looking after himself with a bloody cold, he's not dying!

acasualobserver Sun 18-Sep-16 10:43:23

I know it doesn't really matter but the manflu thing is just a lazy stereotype. You do know that, don't you?

BabooshkaKate Sun 18-Sep-16 10:45:37

To be fair they don't tend to experience such a drop in testosterone except when they have flu so I can imagine it feels shocking...

lostincumbria Sun 18-Sep-16 10:49:39

Sexist bollocks.

A11TheSmallTh1ngs Sun 18-Sep-16 13:39:10

You sound like a bitch.

If he had cancer and didn't complain, maybe he knows he's actually fucking sick?

manyathingyouknow Sun 18-Sep-16 14:16:15

A11 Christ on a fucking bike. Take a joke or don't come on AIBU

Mynestisfullofempty Sun 18-Sep-16 14:50:01

Some colds can make you feel extremely ill while others are fairly trivial. Just because it's not actually flu, doesn't mean that someone isn't feeling wretched. I would be as sympathetic as I could.

MerylPeril Sun 18-Sep-16 14:56:29

DH has a migraine caused by getting up ridiculously early for his hobby yesterday

He's made a big show about going to bed and won't get up HOWEVER he's going out tonight for his hobby and expect a miraculous recovery in time!

NotAPuffin Sun 18-Sep-16 15:32:33

I once accused my DH of having manflu. Turned out he had sepsis and nearly died.

We don't joke about manflu any more in this house...

BlueberryJuice Sun 18-Sep-16 16:21:02

Yanbu, give him this

WankingMonkey Sun 18-Sep-16 17:19:23

DH takes to our bed when he has manflu. Shouts occasionally for a glass of water or pills and thats it. I like it that way.

I don't like how when I catch the same thing though I am 'selfish' for wanting to spend the day in bed. And I am also exaggerating how bad I feel despite him lying going on about how he feels like he was dying whilst I have just commented on having a banging headache grin

JacquesHammer Sun 18-Sep-16 17:24:17

It depends. If he actually has flu and feels wretched be sympathetic and kind.

I had flu and bronchitis in 2014 and was so ill ex-H had to postpone moving out so he could look after me and take over with DD. It was 6 weeks before I could even function anywhere near normally

If he's got a bit of a cold and is being a wimp, jolly him along grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now