Trying to gain advantage via delaying tactics

(10 Posts)
gardenangels Sat 17-Sep-16 23:17:15

Divorcing but STBXH is delaying financial settlement in the hope of gaining financial advantage. How do judges view this?

wasonthelist Sat 17-Sep-16 23:27:23

Going from my experience, Judges, Barristers and Solicitors seem to want the whole process to take as long as humanly possible (and then add on a bit for a tea break).

I don't think unless you have a very high powered legal team, the judge is going to be very bothered tbh.

gardenangels Sat 17-Sep-16 23:29:44

That is disgusting that the system can be played

VladmirsPoutine Sat 17-Sep-16 23:56:11

This is absolutely shit as the longer the delay the more they (lawyers etc) have to gain, and the more the you both lose. flowers, it's absolutely shit.

wasonthelist Sun 18-Sep-16 00:38:39

There are numerous disgusting ways to play the system - like being able to choose where to petition to get the best deal, for example.

gardenangels Sun 18-Sep-16 00:49:17

Omg! Please tell me more

gardenangels Sun 18-Sep-16 00:50:46

He is doing it so children will have left home and I will be too old to get a mortgage.

wasonthelist Sun 18-Sep-16 01:01:26

Just that really - the person who files the petition (I am guessing this has been done already in you case) can "shop around" to get the best deal - different Judges run their own little fiefdoms how they like and everyone has to do things their way - and London is well known as offering the best deals (for wives). You can file anywhere despite having no connection with the place.

wasonthelist Sun 18-Sep-16 01:05:09

In my case the massive delays were because the barristers on each side were trying to fit in with each others' diaries and with the Courts' availability.

I asked if there was a way to complain about the ridiculous amount of time it was taking and everyone seemed truly baffled - clue - there isn't, it's a closed shop run by lawyers entirely for the benefit of lawyers - one of many reasons I will never marry again.

gardenangels Sun 18-Sep-16 01:05:53

I live in London but it waa filed elsewhere for speed. Solicitor said it would move to London if no agreement with finances is that true?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now