To hate it when men 'joke' like this.

(647 Posts)
KindergartenKop Sat 17-Sep-16 19:29:27

Maybe it's not always men but I've never experienced a woman who has done this.

So today I took DS1 to a charity shop. He picked two books at 50p each. I gave Ds a pound coin. The man at the till took the books and said, 'That's four pounds please'. Ds looked worried and the man said 'Only joking, it's one pound'. We paid and left.
I've had people say this sort of thing to me so often and it always beffuddles me and makes me feel stupid. Am I the only person who attracts this form of idiocy? Aibu to be pissed off that this man worried my son? It's not fucking funny!

AndNowItsSeven Sat 17-Sep-16 19:30:19

Yabu, he was joking.

MurphyJim Sat 17-Sep-16 19:31:02

It wasn't a funny joke and I'd have told the man 'Well it wasn't very funny' when he said he was joking.

LottieDoubtie Sat 17-Sep-16 19:31:40

Yanbu it's not a joke if the intention is to make the other person feel like shit. In this case a child so the person saying it was twice as much of a prat.

PissPotPourri Sat 17-Sep-16 19:32:19

Good forbid people in retail try and pass their day with a bit of banter. They should know their place, there to serve.

Giratina Sat 17-Sep-16 19:32:24

It's not funny but neither is it worth still being pissed off over hours later.

Crispbutty Sat 17-Sep-16 19:32:25

Really cannot see a problem.. At all.

NavyandWhite Sat 17-Sep-16 19:32:48

Oh good grief.

Saucery Sat 17-Sep-16 19:32:56

Teasing isn't confined to men, so YABU on that point. But it is very annoying, whoever does it. They don't know the child, they don't know how the joke will be received, they should just be kind and polite.

PissPotPourri Sat 17-Sep-16 19:33:38

And for that matter, why is it OK when women do it?

Pineapplemilkshake Sat 17-Sep-16 19:34:47

Oh I've always hated this too and use to cringe when on the receiving end - I know it's harmless but it is one of my pet hates!

MorrisZapp Sat 17-Sep-16 19:36:22

It's irritating as fuck. I like a bit of chat and banter but pretend prices are so not funny.

SpeckledyBanana Sat 17-Sep-16 19:36:40

I'm with you OP, I don't like this kind of teasing. The joke is at the expense of child, not for their benefit at all.

FIL was prone to this and we cooled contact with DS until he packed it in.

JustAnotherPoster00 Sat 17-Sep-16 19:38:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FathomsDeep Sat 17-Sep-16 19:38:49

I hate this. It's not 'banter', it's having a joke a someone else's expense. The purpose of the 'joke' was to wrongfoot a child which is a twattish thing to do. YANBU.

0hCrepe Sat 17-Sep-16 19:41:01

Oh what a card.

SabineUndine Sat 17-Sep-16 19:41:30

I hate this. Like a lot of so-called 'banter' it is in fact egotistical bullying, intended to put a weaker person at a disadvantage. Men do it to women, too.

DrunctioningFunk Sat 17-Sep-16 19:42:07

hmm can't say this has happened to me

Lazyafternoon Sat 17-Sep-16 19:42:43

It's a bit of harmless banter.

But kids don't get jokes like that. I always get annoyed when sales staff etc try and tease or say something 'funny' that they just don't get. DS has got upset before when he's not understood a 'joke'. Like once similar thing I gave him the money to pay for something and person on the till pretended he couldn't have it! Why do that to a little kids?!

OK so not everyone is able to understand what a little kid would find funny or get upset by. But then again it's not worth getting worked up about it!

KindergartenKop Sat 17-Sep-16 19:43:03

It's not funny when women do it, I've just never had a woman do this to me. It seems like the person is trying to make me feel shit or stupid. It's especially not nice when it's a four year old they're taking the piss out of.
Fwiw, I love sarcasm and I'm in no way a serious person.

PanGalaticGargleBlaster Sat 17-Sep-16 19:43:06

Mumsnet in collective sense of humour failure shocker!

CancellyMcChequeface Sat 17-Sep-16 19:43:39

YANBU. It's not very funny and it was at a child's expense.

Vvlgari Sat 17-Sep-16 19:44:47

It's hardly a big deal, nor is it a men thing. Move on, I say.

LemonScentedStickyBat Sat 17-Sep-16 19:45:54

These people are convinced they are hilarious. They are stupid irritating fuckers.

KindergartenKop Sat 17-Sep-16 19:48:28

What's funny about thinking you don't have enough money for the books when you're four? I really don't see how confusing or upsetting a person is amusing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now