To think a pot of fruit shouldn't cost more than a main meal?

(13 Posts)
MalodyandJim Fri 16-Sep-16 06:41:12

Secondary school...just checked DDs account. She had a main meal at £1.15 and a pot of fruit at £1.20. Pot of fruit was apple/melon/grapes

That's ridiculous isn't it? How does a pot of cheap fruit cost more than a curry and naan bread?!

MalodyandJim Fri 16-Sep-16 06:43:27

Free school meal allowance is £2.30 a day I think. So if you're on FSM you can't have a meal and fruit and a drink (no water fountains) or any breakfast because once you've bought a meal and drink you can't afford any fruit. They don't sell individual pieces of fruit either, just pots.

BikeRunSki Fri 16-Sep-16 06:44:16

Because fruit is more expensive than the veg they probably used to bulk out the curry.

Trifleorbust Fri 16-Sep-16 06:45:32

The main meal is cooked in school, presumably and can be done in bulk, whilst I suspect they order in the fruit. I'm sure they can accept more for the meal if you make a point of it grin

RootTeeToot Fri 16-Sep-16 06:53:21

As you sure they can't have a meal and fruit and a drink if you are on FSM? You definitely can at ours. A main meal, a drink and a desert is £2.20 or whatever it is now.

www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/media/1925/school-meals-secondary.pdf

ITCouldBeWorse Fri 16-Sep-16 06:53:24

Well it is supposed to be lunch, not breakfast as well. Why is your child not eating breakfast at home? Or taking fruit with him or her?

ITCouldBeWorse Fri 16-Sep-16 06:54:15

Also suggest your child carries in a bottle of water (free).

MalodyandJim Fri 16-Sep-16 06:56:45

She does eat breakfast at home. You can get a meal a drink and a pudding on the meal deal, not fruit!

ErrolTheDragon Fri 16-Sep-16 07:08:59

Talk to the school about it - why no fruit in the meal deal. And/or why not just fruit instead of 'fruit pots' - things that kids can manage ( satsuma, bunch of seedless grapes, banana halved if large).

And they surely ought to have water freely available - don't they have jugs of tap water available?

BarbaraofSeville Fri 16-Sep-16 10:33:10

£1.15 is very cheap for a main meal so will be subsidised or sold at cost.

The fruit will not be subsidised but is still cheaper than similar in a supermarket - have a look to see how much they charge for prepared fresh fruit.

It is probably to ensure that everyone can afford a meal but anything above the basics have to be paid for in full.

The issue is not thst the fruit is expensive but the meal is cheap.

SaucyJack Fri 16-Sep-16 10:34:47

Fruit isn't cheap- specially melon and grapes.

FluffyWuffyFuckYou Fri 16-Sep-16 10:40:45

I think its the meal that is surprisingly cheap, not the fruit that is expensive, it isn't.

ErrolTheDragon Fri 16-Sep-16 12:16:00

I somehow missed that we were talking about a secondary school. In which case absolutely no need for pots of prepared fruit (which are expensive) - a pile of apples, bananas, citrus etc. Melon needs minimal prep to cut into wedges.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now