TFL punishing the wrong person

(16 Posts)
Stitchfusion Thu 15-Sep-16 21:00:36

Ds stole dd's oystercard from her room when she was in the toilet. He then gets caught using it on a bus. The card is confiscated and he is issued a fine. Fair enough. He was in the wrong.
Now dd has been told that she has had her card suspended for a year unless she does 4 hours of community service AND pays ten pounds to have it replaced.
WTF?
They say she has breached her conditions of use. HOW ? she didnt use it inappropriately. Why is the person who did use it incorrectly not being told to do community service?
AIBU to think this is all wrong? And what do I do now? There isnt even an email to speak to them.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 15-Sep-16 21:14:04

Possibly as they're siblings TfL assume it was borrowed rather than stolen? So she has allowed its unauthorised use? Only reason I can think of why they would punish her. Could you suggest that DS does the community service in her place?

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 15-Sep-16 21:20:52

On what planet is that fair.
Typifuckingcal blame the victim and not the perpetrators. I think id be taking that to the press TBH. They have absolutely no evidence whatsoever that your dd let your DS borrow her card.

caroldecker Thu 15-Sep-16 21:23:08

here. She did not ensure it was not used by another person or report it stolen. She has therefore breached the T&C.
This does not appear to be legally enforceable, as in she could get another card, but would not get the child discount.
NB not community service, but volunteering.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 15-Sep-16 21:24:48

I'm going to come over as very nieve here, but I thought only the police and DWP could enforce community work.

lalalalyra Thu 15-Sep-16 21:30:44

I'd be finding an email address to contact them. Surely there must be a contact for her to organise the community service? I would then be playing merry hell until they transferred the punishment to your DS.

Although, do check before you do that that you won't end up with them bringing the police in and making the situation a theft type charge for your DS (although depending on the DS that might not stop me doing it)

Butteredparsn1ps Thu 15-Sep-16 21:30:45

Eh?

I can understand that it is a breach of the T&C, but I can't make out the community service aspect. If TFL collected the fare for DS via DDs oyster then there was no theft.

I thought only courts could order people to do community service. Please explain this one to me!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Thu 15-Sep-16 22:00:07

That is fucking ridiculous. Are we supposed to lock things away in our own homes now because if someone already in the house steals it, it's somehow our fault? And she didn't report it stolen - OP hasn't mentioned timelines but is it not feasible that the daughter didn't even know it had been lifted?! As it was in her home if she did think it was gone she would probably assume she'd lost it.

I can't believe there's an actual punishment for losing or having your Oyster card stolen!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 15-Sep-16 22:06:43

Absolutely, Felicia.
What's next locking someone up because they forget to lock their door and as a result they're burgled.

DriveInSaturday Thu 15-Sep-16 22:30:56

Buttered, Oyster cards give free bus journeys to under-16s, so TfL haven't made any money from it, assuming OP's DD is under 16.

It's very harsh on your DD, OP. I think Lyra's idea makes sense.

TaterTots Thu 15-Sep-16 22:39:55

DriveIn - but the OP hasn't said the son is over 16; therefore it wouldn't make any odds.

If the son is over 16 and is travelling on a child's card he would be liable for a penalty fare. The daughter could theoretically be accused of not taking due care with her card, but I don't think for a minute TFL would bring a case against a child whose brother nicked it while she was on the loo.

As for the community service thing, there's no way in hell TFL could enforce that. They can't even enforce a fine without taking it to court. Are you sure there isn't a spot of leg-pulling going on OP?

RubbleBubble00 Thu 15-Sep-16 22:44:21

I'd contact them and say db took her card without asking and he will be doing the community service

Butteredparsn1ps Thu 15-Sep-16 23:41:15

Drivin thank you. i didn't realise Oysters were free for under16's.

Time for a daily mail sad face wink

Glastonbury Fri 16-Sep-16 06:39:39

If you have Twitter they usually get back to you the same day. Their page is @tfl

Stitchfusion Sat 17-Sep-16 07:05:25

I will do that. Thank you all. Ive literally worked myself up into a migraine over this.
Both dc are under 16. Timeline is very short. She was in the loo. He took the card. She knew pretty much straight away, I think he left her bag open or some such, not sure as I wasnt there. He then leaves the house and gets a bus, so gets caught immediatly.
This is what is bothering me. Whilst he most definitely nicked it from her, and should be the one doing the community service, having his card suspended etc, she cant just put a lock on her belongings in the home. He isnt the sort of 15 year old who has stolen things from anyone or anywhere before. Until now, neither of them understood the gravity of this. I do not want the police calling on my son.
I will try twitter.

RealityCheque Sat 17-Sep-16 07:23:10

The police will not be called. I personally would not be happy with ANY child be told to do voluntary work. Fuck that.

Just tell the cunts at tfl that your son accidentally picked up the wrong oyster card when leaving in a rush. There is then no 'theft' to worry about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now