To ask what your biggest regret is?

(119 Posts)
healthyobsessions Wed 14-Sep-16 18:53:41

As the title says really..... sometimes find myself racked with guilt for past mistakes so it would be comforting to know I'm not alone.....

R2G Wed 14-Sep-16 19:06:26

Spending too much time and energy on ungrateful nasty people, and so the regret comes because I should have focused on the ones that matter and care.

Toadinthehole Wed 14-Sep-16 19:27:10

Emigrating. My parents said nothing at the time and supported me in my choice, but I have since realised that it really hurt them.

Buzzardbird Wed 14-Sep-16 19:29:29

I never regret what I've done, only what I haven't done.

Difficult to go forward when you are always looking backwards.

MoonStar07 Wed 14-Sep-16 19:30:33

Try not to think about regrets. Only sets you back. I don't regret much! Maybe drinking too much at uni lol or perhaps I should have shagged around more lol

milkyface Wed 14-Sep-16 19:30:52

Bought this house looks at water pissing through cellar wall

Must sell it in summer

irelephant Wed 14-Sep-16 19:31:34

Nothing. I've had shitty abusive relationships but I wouldn't have my DD's without them.

EssentialHummus Wed 14-Sep-16 19:31:39

Not realising sooner that the dynamic between me and my mum, principally because of her issues, isn't my fault. I'm still racking up the therapy bills!

OhMrBadger Wed 14-Sep-16 19:32:48

Not learning to drive 20 years ago.

tibbawyrots Wed 14-Sep-16 19:33:21

All you can do is learn from mistakes. You can't go back in time to unmake them so take something positive from it.

Nakupenda Wed 14-Sep-16 19:33:54

Being such a horrible mother to my youngest DD in her first year.
PND ruined me and I was horrid to her.

I actually regret having her because the guilt I carry around from her first year cripples me.

sad

LobsterQuadrille Wed 14-Sep-16 19:36:26

Being a drunk for many years.

pleasemothermay1 Wed 14-Sep-16 19:37:46

Having a child with my ex

Don't regret my son but hugly regret Giving my son such a shit dad

Longdistance Wed 14-Sep-16 19:38:11

Giving up my career after having dd's, and emigrating to boring Perth Western Australia.

Biggest regret of my life, as now I'm in a job earning half what I was before and it's miserable.

🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋 < for the bitterness

LadyMC1 Wed 14-Sep-16 19:41:53

I'm with buzzard. Regret nothing as I'm boring. Safe. Dependable. That person you can always count on to be there but not be fun. That's me.
So I'm changing it. Learning to ride a motorbike is my first step.

LadyMC1 Wed 14-Sep-16 19:42:47

Nakupenda - you are doing just fine now. DC loves you and that's what matters right now. X

healthyobsessions Wed 14-Sep-16 19:45:01

buzzardbird - that is such a good perspective to have as your right, you can't change the past....

tibbawyrots - your right, looking back doesn't undo anything...

milkyface - that made me giggle!

nakupenda - I can relate, I had PND too and often feel guilty for not being a better mother for the first years of her life flowers

Branleuse Wed 14-Sep-16 19:45:27

i regret loads of things ive done and loads of things I havent done, but im not going to reel off a list of my regrets as its so personal and I would be judged quite harshly for sure

healthyobsessions Wed 14-Sep-16 19:46:36

branleuse - that's understandable but if you ever do wish to share, there's no judging from me smile

WhatsGoingOnEh Wed 14-Sep-16 19:47:26

I have so many. SO MANY. It takes me years and years to make some decisions, and then I regret it forever! Actually, that tells me that the decisions I find hardest to make are probably decisions I don't WANT to make because neither option is good.

I regret:
- spending 3 years with one ex;
- not going into the career that I trained for;
- marrying my first husband;
- moving away from my lovely flat;
- leaving my full time job;
- moving away from my house after we'd divorced;
- spending so much on the house I bought, instead of buying a smaller place in a better street;
- marrying DH2;

user1468407812 Wed 14-Sep-16 19:54:32

Not going to college.
Not going to uni.
Smoking when I was younger.

Secretmetalfan Wed 14-Sep-16 19:58:11

Not doing a degree/career I enjoyed more
Waiting so long to have kids

Heatherbell1978 Wed 14-Sep-16 20:00:14

Most of the properties I've bought (the first 3 I only owned for 18 months each) including the house we bought last year that we live in now. I can be quite impulsive and convincing. I wish we'd bought a smaller, older property closer to town.
That and squandering all the bonuses I received in my 20s when things in my industry were good. I had a great time but have nothing tangible to show for it. That money would be used so much more wisely now.

londonrach Wed 14-Sep-16 20:01:24

Dont regret anything as the mistakes have made me who i am. If i hadnt made the mistakes i have i wouldnt have learnt from them...

londonrach Wed 14-Sep-16 20:02:31

Actually i do...i regret not buying a property in london which then doubled in prize in 6 months!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now