To be irritated but flattered when people assume I am better than I am.

(4 Posts)
Rockpebblestone Wed 14-Sep-16 11:52:20

My DM and DF seem to think I am much more capable and tolerant than I feel.

They seem to assume I would like to operate an 'open house' for visits, when in fact I feel I need time to prepare and organise stuff for guests. If people don't contact me or talk to me much they assume I will happily step in and make the first move. I'm not often that bold. Equally they assume we will magnanimously offer lifts to every elderly relative and relish visiting some most distant relatives whom we may not even seen since I was a baby. Again we often have other plans like getting a taxi.

It is not like I am a child who needs encouraging to do stuff, I am middle aged with my own DC! They don't fit these high standards either...

Should I be flattered they think I am a superwoman or annoyed?

VioletBam Thu 15-Sep-16 02:14:53

I have this OP. I've realised recently that people think I'm very capable, very tough and very self reliant.

I'm the opposite!

I must be putting it out there though. So I've promised myself that I'm going to be more honest about what I can cope with.

Rockpebblestone Sat 17-Sep-16 13:16:39

Thanks, Violet, I think you are maybe correct. I don't like bothering my DP's too much with my problems though. If I ever do it is like broadcasting stuff to the whole family! So I am selective with what I tell them...

Mollymoo78 Sat 17-Sep-16 23:01:59

People tend to do what is most convenient for themselves. If they get away with putting on you once it will happen again and again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now