To want a hotel room for me & 3 kids?

(46 Posts)
DipsyLaLa22 Tue 13-Sep-16 23:12:21

I'm travelling by car with my 3 young children soon, aged 6, 3, 2 to visit relatives. I need to drive a long way by myself (no other transport options due to geography and I will need a car when I get there).

I want to break the journey up and have an overnight stop. Is is so bloody unreasonable to want one room for the 4 of us? Impossible to find a "family" room that will take 1 adult and 3 kids, but 2 adults and 2 kids is fine!? WTF?

Should I just book a "family" room at the motorway services premier inn/travelodge and rock up with the 3 of them, a blow up mattress and a sleeping bag? Or will they not let me stay?

Cocklodger Tue 13-Sep-16 23:15:01

Yanbu.
Assuming the 2 adult 2 kids rooms are 2xsingle bed and 1x double you could Co sleep with the youngest maybe? Failing that I think you'll be OK with air bed and sleeping bag. But I'd ring the hotel and ask prior to avoid any issues with checking in. They may even offer a better solution

whywonthedgehogssharethehedge Tue 13-Sep-16 23:16:01

I would just book a family room. You are a family ffs. It's a family of 4 people so I can't see the issue? Just do it. I would. If they kick up a stink threaten public shaming.

whywonthedgehogssharethehedge Tue 13-Sep-16 23:17:32

Ask for a cot? Or call them tbh if it kicks off anxiety. It may be computer says no human realises it's a stupid idea to say no.

Balletgirlmum Tue 13-Sep-16 23:19:33

It's the type of bed that determines the room designation.

I often book dd in as an adult if there are just the two of us. It means we both get single beds wheras booking as a child I get a double & she a pull out.

A family room will have 1 double & 1 or two single/pull out beds in. Nothing stopping you sharing a double with a child & booking one in as an adult.

DipsyLaLa22 Tue 13-Sep-16 23:20:28

I haven't called anywhere yet, but the online booking options don't allow for 3 children. Hate constantly being forced to book 2 rooms when we travel/holiday as a family of 5 (don't get me started on centerparcs forcing us to book a 3 bedroom at great expense when we could all easily fit into a 2, then virtually every "family" activity being for 4).

Anyway, ranting now. Just wanted to vent....

DipsyLaLa22 Tue 13-Sep-16 23:21:31

I'll call tomorrow, hopefully they will see sense. Thanks.

Balletgirlmum Tue 13-Sep-16 23:22:18

Honestly we stay in premier inn,travelodge & holiday inns a lot & ive never had a problem booking a child as an adult. As long as you don't go over the room capacity & at least 1 person is over 18.

Choceeclair123 Tue 13-Sep-16 23:24:24

Try a quad room at premier inn. Last time I got one there was actually a double bed and 3 single beds and the room was massive. Very good price also.

littlepeas Tue 13-Sep-16 23:26:43

Premier inn are flexible, in my experience - you probably need to call though.

ruddynorah Tue 13-Sep-16 23:30:16

Just book it as two adults two children. No big deal.

manicinsomniac Tue 13-Sep-16 23:35:57

I'm also a single mum with 3 kids.

We always stay in private 4 bed dorms in youth hostels. They don't care whether you're an adult or a child there. And it's cheaper.

sparepantsandtoothbrush Tue 13-Sep-16 23:42:37

Premier Inn will let you. Just book a family room as 2 adults and 2 children. You're over thinking it grin

MiddleClassProblem Tue 13-Sep-16 23:47:27

Maybe a camp site with static caravans?

It's so tough and really unfair they are not very flexible in hotel chains. Maybe a B&b or independent hotel might be though

Aftershock15 Tue 13-Sep-16 23:48:38

I think you are really over thinking this. I've booked before for 1 adult and 3 kids - but I just book 2 adults and 2 children as that gets enough space. When they were younger I shared the double with the least fidgety, now I use one of the singles and make 2 of them share. Unless you are hoping for 4 beds (pretty rare I'ld say) or to only pay for 1 adult and 3 kids and save money somehow (but I assume it's a room charge with maybe an extra charge for any number above 2) just book online.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Tue 13-Sep-16 23:49:38

You are completely over thinking this. You book the family room.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Tue 13-Sep-16 23:52:30

The limit on 2 children is , aftershock says to do with trying to get children's rates for adults, not that you can't have 1 adult and 3 children

JacquettaWoodville Tue 13-Sep-16 23:55:05

Yep. Family room in travelodge or premier inn (better) will have the right number of beds. Just book 2 adults 2 kids.

CodyKing Tue 13-Sep-16 23:57:55

I think it's fire regulations -

I've booked in as 2 adults and 2 kids with 3 kids

Have you looked at Aurbnb? Seem trainable and flexible

StripeyMonkey1 Wed 14-Sep-16 00:05:28

Book 2 adults 2 kids. Slightly more expensive but not massively.

TragicallyUnbeyachted Wed 14-Sep-16 00:06:20

Just book Premier Inn as 2 adults and 2 kids. It'll be fine.

budgiegirl Wed 14-Sep-16 08:13:19

Just book as 2 adults and 2 kids. I had this problem when going to London on my own with three kids. I phoned Travelodge to query how I should do this, and they advised me to book online as 2 adults, 2 kids, and no one would bat an eyelid when I arrived.

Sgtmajormummy Wed 14-Sep-16 08:20:58

I wouldn't risk bringing your own blow-up mattress or declaring fewer people. The hotel insurance wouldn't cover you.
Just book in as 2+2 and share with the less fidgety child if necessary!

spicyfajitas Wed 14-Sep-16 09:06:34

I just presume it's poor design on the websire's part and book as two children and two adults. However I hate that when we travel as a family of five, there are very few places that cater.

bbcessex Wed 14-Sep-16 09:08:40

Book as 2 and 2.. i've done that many time.. also booked 2 adults and 1 child when that was the permitted maximum and had 2 children in the room.

Just choose a generic hotel where they don't pay much notice at check in... hard with small kids I know but I can't imagine it will be an issue.

Good luck with your trip. You have your hands full.. I hope you can relax when you get to your destination xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now