To put DS (4 months) in front-facing stroller

(19 Posts)
pikapoo Tue 13-Sep-16 21:54:44

Because he is the size of a 10 month old , physically cannot fit into newborn carrycot anymore, and our stroller is not parent-facing.

Genuinely interested in experiences of parents who've done this (rather than doomsday hypotheses, of which there appear to be many online...)

Thanks

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 13-Sep-16 21:55:59

I did this with DD. So did DSIS. Both dc are fine. Can he hold his head up?

Believeitornot Tue 13-Sep-16 21:57:09

What is the doomsday scenario? I put dd forward facing occasionally at that age but on a recline as she couldn't quite support her head.

Tastesjustlikecherrycola85 Tue 13-Sep-16 21:58:11

Mine were in a forward facing stroller from birth, but you could recline it

megletthesecond Tue 13-Sep-16 21:58:15

As long as his head and neck are supported it's fine.

DS was forward facing from day 1.

PotteringAlong Tue 13-Sep-16 21:58:15

He will be fine as long as he's reclined back.

Hughpughbarneymagrew Tue 13-Sep-16 21:59:27

I did it with DS at 5 months for similar reasons. Haven't had any problems.
I do go out with a big scarf though and if I think he needs some down time I put it over the front, recline his seat right back, and unzip the hatch at the back so he only sees me.

Nottalotta Tue 13-Sep-16 21:59:46

Does it lay flat? If so then no, yanbu. Ds didn't like forward facing at that age though. I got a parent facing stroller (well faces each way) to fill the gap. It wasn't expensive.

newmumwithquestions Tue 13-Sep-16 22:02:03

As pp said as long as there is enough of a recline he'll be fine. If you're specifically worried about front rather than rear facing I've done it with DD2 - I have a double buggy and with both seats in I can't rear face (can if only 1 seat is in). Yes it's better if you can see them but it's not a biggie.

PenelopeChipShop Tue 13-Sep-16 22:03:26

Yeah I don't see the problem. We've just bought a lightweight one (to replace knackered carrycot used by older brother so far) and it only faces forward. Dd is 5 months. Obviously I make sure she is strapped in...!

If you're worried about the lack of 'stimulation' from facing you the I really wouldn't. The sales assistants say that with one breath to sell the ones that swivel round then the next moment they're recommending a double buggy where the only view baby has is the imprint of the older one's arse. They'll be fine.

dementedpixie Tue 13-Sep-16 22:05:11

Both Dd and ds were in forward facing strollers as at the time parent facing ones were rarer

PickAChew Tue 13-Sep-16 22:05:37

There wasn't really any choice when mine were babies, unless you took out a second mortgage.

Can't really vouch for how they turned out, mind, though DS1 loved looking around at the world as soon as he was able to.

Stellabystarlight Tue 13-Sep-16 22:13:57

I just don't get the angst over this. I also had big babies who outgrew the carry cot by 3-4 months and we went straight to forward facing stroller. They loved seeing the world. You do need head support and a recline but that's not hard to find in a decent buggy.

imwithspud Tue 13-Sep-16 22:15:43

I see loads of parents with babies in ff strollers. If there's a really small baby it's reclined flat or almost flat. I use a ff stroller myself, couldn't afford a parent facing one originally. I don't see the problem?

pikapoo Tue 13-Sep-16 22:17:16

Thanks for sharing everyone - really helpful. Yes he can hold his head up (and pull himself to sitting from an incline). The stroller does not recline 180degrees flat, but enough to support him I think.

Doomsday scenarios - I've seen posters on certain discussion boards fretting about their LO not being able to see them when in front-facing positions and losing valuable parent-child stimulation, claiming that this has a negative impact on their development personality etc... Which frankly sounded a bit OTT and scaremongering to me

pikapoo Tue 13-Sep-16 22:23:28

Stella - YYY re angst. Sometimes I should really stop googling and just trust my common sense!

TheMidnightHour Tue 13-Sep-16 22:24:34

I angsted about this when DD was the same age about 8 months ago and tried it. She loved it - would much rather look at the world than me. Ironically at one I think she'd rather "chat" to me but she's stuck with the world!

JellyBelli Tue 13-Sep-16 22:25:49

I did this, he was fine. Honestly, go by his actual size, not his age.

imwithspud Tue 13-Sep-16 22:32:15

I doubt it will have a negative impact on his development. Provided he gets lots of stimulation in other situations, which I'm sure he does!

It's just another stick to beat parents/mum's with isn't it really?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now