More a what would you do - letting agents

(13 Posts)
KinkyAfro Tue 13-Sep-16 09:21:50

We recently had to move out of our rented house as the owner was selling up and moving abroad, we'd been in there for 10 years so it was a bit upsetting. We'd also rented our previous house through the same agents so they knew us pretty well. The LA told us that they would give us first priority on a particular house that had just been sold through them, with the intention of it being rented out also through them. They also told us that the new owner wanted to do a few smalls jobs on it but they would let us know as soon as we could view. The house was perfect, had everything we need and would also allow dogs which isn't the norm these days. In the meantime we moved into mums and put all of our stuff into storage and periodically checked with the agent on how long it would be before we could view the house. LA told us that the owner was still doing some jobs and he was replacing the kitchen, then the bathroom, had all the floors up so it wasn't possible to view as it wasn't safe. Fine, there's no rush, we can stay at mums as long as necessary. Should also mention that we didn't bother viewing a number of houses as although not perfect, they would have been sufficient for our needs. The LA made a big deal out of this one being amazing, the work was going to be stunning blah blah blah so we thought we'd wait for this one to become available.

Hadn't heard anything from the letting agents so I called and left messages and sent a couple of emails, all of which went unanswered. Finally got a call to say the owner was almost finished and the viewing would be arranged for later this week, perfect as we go away at the weekend and it would have been nice to have somewhere to move into on our return. Decided to have a drive past the house on the way home from work last night to see if the garden had been tarted up and there was a removal van outside and people carrying in their belongings. Gutted was not the word.

I was really pissed off last night and am so tempted to send the agents a shitty email but stopped myself.

WWYD if anything?

Omgkitties Tue 13-Sep-16 09:24:22

I'd send the shitty email! That's really not fair of them is it.

Snowflakes1122 Tue 13-Sep-16 09:24:57

Are you sure they aren't renting it out as furnished?
How crap of them to string ou along otherwise. So sorry flowers

Perhaps call into the letting agency, so they can't ignore you and find out what happened.
I'd get looking on Rightmove for somewhere else now though (and pref with another agency)

KinkyAfro Tue 13-Sep-16 09:25:49

Nope, it was definitely a family moving in, there were kids with them angry

InTheseFlipFlops Tue 13-Sep-16 09:32:02

Don't send the shitty email, you need them more than they need you.
You could say your disappointed but be careful not to piss them off as if your area is like mine, theres at least 3/4 families per house that comes up.
Good luck, being stuck renting and having to move is really shit.

KinkyAfro Tue 13-Sep-16 09:41:00

There's a number of letting agents in this area so hopefully when our next perfect house comes on the market, it won't be with these shysters grin

SilverDragonfly1 Tue 13-Sep-16 09:43:08

It's possible that the owner has rented the house to friends or family or decided to move in themselves, but kept stringing the agents along while making the decision, so don't go too mad.

VioletBam Tue 13-Sep-16 09:46:23

You still need to actually speak to the letting agents ....as far as you're concerned you have a viewing booked. You may never have noticed those people seemingly moving in....then you'd have turned up for the viewing!

What if it was the owners moving furniture in or storing it and they just happened to have their kids with them? You need to check.

Omgkitties Tue 13-Sep-16 09:49:58

you need them more than they need you

No, op can just use another agent.

scarednoob Tue 13-Sep-16 09:52:52

It may well be that the landlord has shafted the agent.

I used to be a letting agent and I once took about 8 prospective tenants to a new flat. The landlord took me to one side and hissed, "if you like the place, we do a deal and cut out the agent."

I hissed, "I AM the agent!!!!!"

It happens a lot. what a shame, hope you find somewhere even better soon.

GabsAlot Tue 13-Sep-16 09:56:29

not alot u can do may be the lanlord moved someone in though

just ask what happened

melibu84 Tue 13-Sep-16 09:57:13

I wouldn't send the shitty email, as you don't know the whole story. The landlord could have found someone he knows who needed a property, or they just beat you to it.

The rental market moves really fast, so keep your options open by staying in touch with them. My partner and i viewed a property on Saturday, there were 8 viewings booked for that day for it. As we were walking back to the car, we saw another property with a to let sign, and called up the LA. They told us that the property had literally gone onto the market on Thursday, was under offer on Friday.

PregnantAndEngaged Tue 13-Sep-16 10:15:20

Melibu is right. In Brighton, for example, houses are gone the same day that they go on the market. You could literally turn up for a viewing to be called saying the previous viewer snapped it up. It was a pain in the bloody arse!

Just be prepared for disappointments and then they won't be so disappointing. Don't assume anything is yours until a deposit has been paid/contracts signed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now