To move to Telford

(17 Posts)
porridge90 Tue 13-Sep-16 08:51:35

We have found a new development in Brosely, near Telford that we like the look of. Does anyone know anything about the area? We went and looked and thought it looked great but my husbands colleague said some not so positive things about it so we're trying to find out some more info.

Greenteandchives Tue 13-Sep-16 09:05:06

Where are you now porridge? I don't know much about the area, but my son moved to Broseley from Bristol last year, and is very happy there. Property prices enabled him to buy a lovely home for much less than it would have cost in Bristol. From what I have seen, the countryside is beautiful, and there is easy access to lots of interesting places. He goes to Birmingham for major shopping.

ellyelly247 Tue 13-Sep-16 09:11:52

I live relatively near Telford. It does have a bad reputation, and the town centre isn't very nice. But as has been mentioned, lots of nice countryside around, near lots of beautiful places e.g Ludlow, Shrewsbury, Bridgnorth etc.

porridge90 Tue 13-Sep-16 10:12:01

Over in Derbyshire at the moment. Why does it have a bad reputation elly? What for? From what we saw it looked like a quaint little town, yes there's not much there but a high street with necessities and like you say, not far from Bridgenorth and Ironbridge etc. House prices are great, a new build 4 bed for £289,995!!!

Blackberryandapplejam Tue 13-Sep-16 10:17:30

Nothing wrong with Telford. Know it very well. Not a bad place at all.

CwtchMeQuick Tue 13-Sep-16 10:18:59

Broseley is nice, closer to Bridgnorth than Telford. I don't think it has a bad reputation and the town centre is fine and good for shopping although I wouldn't want to live too close. If you need to think about schools, the closest secondary schools are in Bridgnorth but I know there did used to be a problem in one of the schools with bullying kids from the smaller surrounding villages, not sure if it's still a problem though and I don't think you'd get it so much at a Telford school. Would you need to commute? The roads from broseley to Telford aren't very nice in the bad weather so keep that in mind.

ellyelly247 Tue 13-Sep-16 12:26:31

I suppose I'm comparing the town centre to the more quaint towns in the surrounding areas.
Bad reputation for anti social behaviour, rates of unemployment etc. However, I don't know Broseley at all! I suppose you have to question why the house is so cheap.

Madhairday Tue 13-Sep-16 12:39:46

I live in Telford - it's a nice place to live. Broseley is outside the town nearer to Ironbridge and it's all a lovely area, lots of things to do and see and some beautiful countryside as well. Being fairly near Shrewsbury and the Welsh border is great. Telford centre is ok but nothing amazing, they have done a lot recently to update it and the town park is amazing with stuff for all ages of kids. Shrewsbury very pretty if you like more olde worlde type places.

Go for it!

ScandiManny Tue 13-Sep-16 12:52:24

YABU for considering Broseley part of Telford wink We're not in Telford and fall under Shripshire council grin

I know the delevopmemt you mean, it is a lovely site. About 1/2 minute walk from a very good nursery/preschool/primary school. We also have another excellent primary school about 10 minutes walk from the site.

Lots of good shops in the high street and a Tesco & Aldi 10 minutes drive away.

Very safe area. I walk home from work at 1am regularly and feel totally comfortable doing so. I'm surprised anyone would describe it as having a bad reputation. The biggest 'problem' we have in here is dog fowling!

It's a lovely place to live smile

ScandiManny Tue 13-Sep-16 12:55:18

Oh and the closest secondary school would be William Brookes in Much Wenlock. Also a good school. Buses to and from are free as far as I know, they definitely used to be anyway.

ScandiManny Tue 13-Sep-16 12:56:11

*Shropshire. I wish we could edit!

kali110 Tue 13-Sep-16 12:57:13

Op if you really want too, do it!
My dh and i finally took the plunge and moved to an area by the seaside. Wanted to for ages.
If this is what you want do it x

BertieBotts Tue 13-Sep-16 12:58:22

Honestly, Telford just seems depressing and stuck in a time warp. BUT I haven't been there for about 10 years. And had only visited, so no idea on crime etc.

The overarching thing I remember about Telford is that as you approached the train station there used to be an advertisement for someone's mobile phone shop which was at least 10 years out of date (going by the appearance of the phone and I think a reference to one2one, possibly?) and this was there for years and years before they changed it, almost as though they didn't see any point in trying to advertise to anybody coming in on that train.

SimonLeBonOnAndOn Tue 13-Sep-16 13:00:26

I used to live and work in Telford ( as a police officer), albeit before the development.
It's a safe place to live, crime is relatively low.
I think people slag it off because it's a 'new town'
The town centre is ok, some good shops all under cover.
The Town Park is fantastic.
Good transport links, lovely countryside.
The only downside for me is it was a long way from the Sea!

QueenofallIsee Tue 13-Sep-16 13:09:38

I live in Newport, just outside Telford. Broseley is OK, cheaper than some of the 'prettier' places but not rough at all in relative terms. All of Shropshire is lovely but I am biased!

porridge90 Tue 13-Sep-16 19:23:34

Thanks everyone. We're now undecided between new build or older house. So much to think about, but I think Broseley, Ironbridge or Bridgnorth are where we definitely want to be.

QueenofallIsee Wed 14-Sep-16 09:10:47

I am a Bridgnorth girl born and bred though I now live in Newport & lived in Much Wenlock and Ironbridge for a time as well - feel free to PM me OP if you have questions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now