Help - CPAP machine for sleep apnoea

(16 Posts)
GrainOfSalt Tue 13-Sep-16 00:14:47

Here for traffic - sorry

Has anyone experience of using a CPAP machine for sleep apnoea?? First night after a 'masterclass' at the local hospital and as soon as I fall asleep and the machine kicks in I am waking in an abject panic with the force of the air choking me. Now my nose is all blocked up as I'm now blubbing on and off at my utter incompetence.

Any advice? what am I doing wrong?

GrainOfSalt Tue 13-Sep-16 00:15:33

(and I don't think it works with a blocked up nose)

TaterTots Tue 13-Sep-16 00:16:26

My dad has one and they're hard to get used to, but worth it. He barely slept for years before using his.

mathsmum314 Tue 13-Sep-16 00:18:50

dp uses one, worth getting used to as the have a trans-formative effect

afromom Tue 13-Sep-16 00:22:56

DP says did you press the button on the top of the machine? It gradually builds up the air flow so that the force doesn't overwhelm you. He said it's called the air volume button? If you press it again now it will reset to a slower air flow.
Good luck with it, it's all a bit overwhelming to start with but DP is a changed man since he got his, he's not tired all the time and he gets a great nights sleep every night!

Pinkerbeller Tue 13-Sep-16 00:23:36

I'm looing at these for myself and I believe you can get machines that graduate the pressure according to need so maybe you just have the wrong machine? It sounds to me like you're using a blunt instrument where you need a scalpel.

afromom Tue 13-Sep-16 00:26:04

There's some good advice here too: http://content.totalcareehealth.com/cpap_faq/cpap-choking-gasping/
Looks like it's a common problem for people getting used to using the machine

FeelingSmurfy Tue 13-Sep-16 00:30:34

The ramp button slowly builds it up

Did they not keep you in, how did they know what to set it as? When mum got one she was in just under a week and they tried different masks with her, got her to put it on for a bit in day to get used to it, really low pressure first night and slowly increased over the days until a level they thought was high enough without being too high

CancelTheCheque Tue 13-Sep-16 00:34:52

It'll take some breaking in. Use it during the day whilst watching TV. It helps your body realise it's not being choked to death when you fall asleep. Once your body sees it as normal it'll be less problematic. If you can't settle at all with it you can get the pressure adjusted at your clinic, just remember to go for a checkup on that once you get used to it as it might not be optimal for your apnoea.

GrainOfSalt Tue 13-Sep-16 00:41:35

Thanks everyone smile

Thanks afromom's DP, I had forgotten the top button would reduce the flow. I am starting on a 'ramped' flow (I think it's called) with a low level of air and that's ok. I get to sleep but then I'm waking feeling like I'm in a wind tunnel, unable to breathe (oh the irony) and fighting to escape until I realise what the hell is happening. (and I'll check that link in a mo - thank you)

Yes Pinkerbeller I think there are different options, I'm not sure what the local hospital can offer but it may be I can have a different mask which could be good. This one feels like it is pulling my chin back with the straps (which can't be helping positioning) but if I loosen it off then I lose the seal

Feelingsmurfy I had a one hour 'masterclass' in a group of four this morning, I have to go back on Friday and I think the plan is to tweak it then when they have the data from this week. Sounds like your Mum's programme was well planned

Thanks CancelTheCheque I'll give the TV idea a go

CancelTheCheque Tue 13-Sep-16 00:51:14

Try different masks if you have the option. Dp tried about 6 before finding one that really worked. Be kind to yourself in the meantime, it's only stressful till you get it working right smile

sykadelic Tue 13-Sep-16 01:14:16

What kind of mask are you wearing? I can't handle the nose one so I have a full face one.

Mine is also ramped and made to ramp over a 20 minute period. I regularly leave it on when I wake up, or turn it on before I'm ready to go to sleep, so my body is used to the pressure now.

I also have a built-in humidifier to deal with the stuffy nose etc.

Incidentally, I had the sleep study done, received the machine a week later and they monitored it remotely for a month. I never stayed anywhere for a week while they tested it. I've had mine now for 3 years and can't sleep without it (I've tried to nap... it sucks)

GrainOfSalt Tue 13-Sep-16 01:35:05

Thanks all, I have now regained my grip and am going to give it another go smile

sykadelic Thu 15-Sep-16 00:03:29

I actually had a power out last night for 45 mins. I've had mine for 3 years and it's the 2nd time we've had a power out while I've been trying to sleep.

I slept very badly. Took ages to fall asleep because something wasn't "right". Then I kept waking myself with the snoring and when I eventually got up the feeling of breathlessness was something I never realised I'd felt before getting it.. and reminded me just how much good it actually does for me.

I'm glad you're giving it another go. It does take some getting used to but the benefits will amaze you smile

PenguinOfDeath79 Thu 15-Sep-16 00:20:44

try putting it on ramp and then reading for a bit with it like that. It does not work with a blocked nose (as four years of experience tell me now). it really has given me my life back though so try and get used to it if you can. But there are different masks and different options so keep trying.

Oh and if you pull it off in your sleep (which I used to do sometimes), try attaching the straps to your hair with hair grips - it wakes you up just enough to realise you're doing it before you efficiently remove it and go back to sleep.

FeelingSmurfy Thu 15-Sep-16 00:22:23

If mum dozes off without it now, I can see her breathing mimic what the machine does, I mentioned it to the consultant and he didnt think I was crazy wasn't surprised, and was pleased because one of the things it's supposed to do is retrain your body. It doesn't during the day but I have watched a few times when she has been asleep without it and she always mimics the cpap breathing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now